andrewpreece

Default Is it possible to cut music noise through wall

Yes in theory, but not easily. You would probably need to put up
a false wall, something heavyish ( e.g. plasterboard ) to reflect
sound back, and fill it with rockwool to attenuate the sound. It's
necessary to avoid gaps and support the false wall in such a way
as does not allow the sound to be transmitted via the supports.
There was a query on I think, the 13th or 14th of August on this
subject. If your mail programme deletes old mails you could search
for it by doing a search on google, i.e +google +groups +uk.diy or
somesuch. Sorry, no practical experience on soundproofing.

Andy

"mickcant" wrote in message
Hi all,

I live in a top floor, of a three storey block of purpose built flats

built
around forty years ago There are concrete floors between the levels and
there is no problem from below. On the one side of my flat, the wall that

is
alongside the next door flat is a 9" laid flat concrete block wall

finished
with plasterboard spot stuck to the wall with plaster. Is there anything I
can do to my side to cut some or even better all the Noise out; this is

only
a problem when they are playing music, and alouth I use headphones when I
want to listen to music or watch a late film, they just blast out! As my
flat is a bed sit this same room is also my bedroom and I just cannot get

sleep when it is blasting out. Hoping for helpful advice,

Would anyone also know if, because this is an Housing Association flat,
whether there are any grants available to help upgrade?

Ghetto blasters were not around when these flats were built!

pity they are now.

Mick Cant

mickcant

Hi all,

I live in a top floor, of a three storey block of purpose built flats built
around forty years ago There are concrete floors between the levels and
there is no problem from below. On the one side of my flat, the wall that is
alongside the next door flat is a 9" laid flat concrete block wall finished
with plasterboard spot stuck to the wall with plaster. Is there anything I
can do to my side to cut some or even better all the Noise out; this is only
a problem when they are playing music, and alouth I use headphones when I
want to listen to music or watch a late film, they just blast out! As my
flat is a bed sit this same room is also my bedroom and I just cannot get to
sleep when it is blasting out. Hoping for helpful advice,

Would anyone also know if, because this is an Housing Association flat,
whether there are any grants available to help upgrade?

Ghetto blasters were not around when these flats were built!

pity they are now.

Mick Cant

Robin Prater

"mickcant" wrote in message
[...]

There is no easy solution to this common problem. Basically you need to
build another wall next to the existing one and loose about 125mm off the
length of the room. It's like building a sound studio wall. The minimum
would be 50mm sq stud frame with a 50mm gap stuffed with rockwall insulation
and then covered with two layers of plasterboard - first panels horizontal
second vertical. The stud frame should be insulated from ceiling, floor and
side walls by 10mm thick hard rubber blocks, it should be a tight fit no
screws.
This may sound a bit drastic but it works.

Would anyone also know if, because this is an Housing Association flat,
whether there are any grants available to help upgrade?

I would ask the Housing Association. I assume you will have to get
permission

Ghetto blasters were not around when these flats were built!

Remember that it's very difficult to reduce the low frequency bass notes as
these may be travelling along the concrete floor.

Robin

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:07:43 +0100, mickcant wrote:

Is there anything I can do to my side to cut some or even better all
the Noise out;

Talk nicely and calmly to your neighbours and explain that although
their music is very nice you would rather not be able to hear it when
trying to sleep. Assuming "normal" sleep times, say 2300 to 0700. A
vast majority of people are sensible and will respect their
neighbours, others don't then the trouble can really start. Maybe a
search for the Avengers Handbook could be useful in this situation...

As for doing something to your wall the only thing that will keep
transmissive noise down (note down not out) is mass and lots of it.
Searching back in this group should find plenty of tips, as this has
been discussed several times before.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Snowman

"mickcant" wrote in message
[...]

How about filling the wall with book shelves and filling them with books. I
don't really know if it works, but at least you'd have something to read
when you can't get to sleep. :-)

Peter.

Tony Bryer

In article , Mickcant
wrote:
On the one side of my flat, the wall that is alongside
the next door flat is a 9" laid flat concrete block wall
finished with plasterboard spot stuck to the wall with
plaster. Is there anything I can do to my side to cut some
or even better all the Noise out;

If you could face the mess I would strip off all the
plasterboard and get the wall wet plastered (get the extra
sockets and wall lights put in *before* you do this). There's
more than a fair chance that the poor sound insulation is due to
poorly filled joints in the block wall which allow sound through

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Greg

Get some M20AD from a company called custom audio designs
(www.customaudiodesignns.co.uk). It's a kind of foam mat that you
stick on the wall (15kg/sqm). I got some last week and it did the
trick brilliantly.

Greg
dave @ stejonda

In message , Greg
writes
Get some M20AD from a company called custom audio designs
(www.customaudiodesignns.co.uk). It's a kind of foam mat that you
stick on the wall (15kg/sqm). I got some last week and it did the
trick brilliantly.

only one n in designs though

btw, why would they have "This product and method is not suitable for
loud music and cinema noise coming through a wall." on
http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/rubbermat.htm
though?

--
dave @ stejonda
Greg

btw, why would they have "This product and method is not suitable for
loud music and cinema noise coming through a wall." on
http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/rubbermat.htm
though?

I suppose it depends how you define loud? I could distinctly hear my
neighbours have a converstation. Now I can't. Simple as that.
dave @ stejonda

In message , Greg
writes
btw, why would they have "This product and method is not suitable for
loud music and cinema noise coming through a wall." on
http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/rubbermat.htm
though?

I suppose it depends how you define loud? I could distinctly hear my
neighbours have a converstation. Now I can't. Simple as that.

Ok, thanks.

--
dave @ stejonda

mickcant

"Greg" wrote in message
m...
Get some M20AD from a company called custom audio designs
(www.customaudiodesignns.co.uk). It's a kind of foam mat that you
stick on the wall (15kg/sqm). I got some last week and it did the
trick brilliantly.

Greg

Thanks Greg,
did you also put the two layers of plasterboard on as well?
Mick Cant.

Greg

Thanks Greg,
did you also put the two layers of plasterboard on as well?
Mick Cant.

Yes I did. Bit of a leap of faith to put it up as they tell you to, ie
with no support of the floor, just stuck to the insulation. Hasn't
fallen down yet.
Greg
IMM

"Greg" wrote in message
m...
Get some M20AD from a company called custom audio designs
(www.customaudiodesignns.co.uk). It's a kind of foam mat that you
stick on the wall (15kg/sqm). I got some last week and it did the
trick brilliantly.

How much is this stuff?

---

Greg

How much is this stuff?

---

£23.50 per square metre. The adhesive they supply is Gripfill, but I
suppose you could use any solvent-based stuff.

IMM

"Greg" wrote in message
m...

How much is this stuff?

£23.50 per square metre. The adhesive they supply is Gripfill, but I
suppose you could use any solvent-based stuff.

So you have to stick this against brick and plaster over?

---

Damp inside loft wall Orb UK diy 2 August 22nd 03 11:18 AM
Taking out a wall and building regs... Adam UK diy 8 August 21st 03 10:39 PM
(another variation on) soundproofing party wall DP UK diy 0 August 14th 03 09:20 AM
Overflow extended length from external wall - Building Regulations Jeff Martin UK diy 1 August 13th 03 11:37 PM
Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM