Posted to uk.d-i-y
MikeT

Default Baxi Main 30 HE or Greenstar 28i Junior?

I have a 3 bed detached with 30yr old CH/HW system and have just got a
price from a local Corgi plumber for a complete new system.

8 rads, 4 with trv's, dual prog timer/roomstat, new gas supply from
garage to porch where I want the boiler and the quote price is £2800
with a Baxi Main 30 HE or £3000 with a Greenstar 28i Junior. This
includes removal of all old pipework, rads, tanks etc.

My Question is which boiler should I go for? No baths taken in this
house, just showers

The Baxi spec seems to show 2 heat exchangers (1 caste iron the other
alloy), the 28i only one? Hot water throughput on the baxi is more 12.1
ltr/min against 11.4 ltr/min Baxi states independent control of hot
water /heating temp, dont know on 28i Baxi is 11.9 to 31kw output,
Junior is 7.2 to 28kw

Any installers help point me in the right direction please

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:23:15 +0000, MikeT wrote:

I have a 3 bed detached with 30yr old CH/HW system and have just got a
price from a local Corgi plumber for a complete new system.

8 rads, 4 with trv's, dual prog timer/roomstat, new gas supply from
garage to porch where I want the boiler and the quote price is £2800
with a Baxi Main 30 HE or £3000 with a Greenstar 28i Junior. This
includes removal of all old pipework, rads, tanks etc.

My Question is which boiler should I go for? No baths taken in this
house, just showers

The Baxi spec seems to show 2 heat exchangers (1 caste iron the other
alloy), the 28i only one? Hot water throughput on the baxi is more 12.1
ltr/min against 11.4 ltr/min Baxi states independent control of hot
water /heating temp, dont know on 28i Baxi is 11.9 to 31kw output,
Junior is 7.2 to 28kw

Any installers help point me in the right direction please

Try the BoilerChoice FAQ below for starters.

I'd be interested to know how it is that you have 4 radiators which don't
need TRVs. i.e. Non bedrooms, not less frequently used rooms, not subject to large
solar gains, not subject to other sources of heat....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

[...]

I'd avoid the Baxi which sounds like an ancient cast-iron design with a
secondary heat exchanger bolted on, and go for the Worcester Bosch. They
do do combis with better hot water output but I wonder if a combi is right
fro a 3-bed house (how many bathrooms and showers do you have?)

For a fuller discussion of these matters see Ed Sirett's "Choosing a
Boiler FAQ" http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MikeT

On April 21 2006, Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

The trv's were all for bedrooms and bathroom rads, downstairs is really
one big long room 13x36ft. First 24ft is a lounge where the thermostat
was going and the rest is the dining area. The dining area does have a
large amount of glass (almost 2 walls worth) but faces north and doesnt
have great solar gains. All windows are double glazed and walls cavity
filled btw.

The other rad was for the hall which on reflection should I suppose have
a trv.

Are you thinking the hall should have the stat and the rest of the down
rads have trv's then?

I did already read all the faq listed but am still unsure what I should
be doing, I really want to do away with the top up tanks and airing
cupboard/hot water tank to make way for a maybe loft converted space
later. I am also replacing the kitchen units and really would like the
old floor standing potterton caste iron boiler out of the way along with
its pipework and controls, thats why the boiler in the front porch.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MikeT

On April 21 2006, John Stumbles wrote:

Any installers help point me in the right direction please

I'd avoid the Baxi which sounds like an ancient cast-iron design with
a secondary heat exchanger bolted on, and go for the Worcester Bosch.
They do do combis with better hot water output but I wonder if a combi
is right
fro a 3-bed house (how many bathrooms and showers do you have?)

For a fuller discussion of these matters see Ed Sirett's "Choosing a
Boiler FAQ" http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

Ok, to me the Baxi sounded better with 2 exchangers, thats how little I
know. Thats after reading the faq!

2 adults and 2 kids in the house which is shortly to have no bath at all
in exchange for a shower cubical.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

MikeT wrote:

Ok, to me the Baxi sounded better with 2 exchangers, thats how little I
know. Thats after reading the faq!

Depends on which two you are counting!

Most combis have two - a primary one heated by the gas flame, and a
secondary one for the hot water heated by the primary circuit water.

However when you see one that has two primary heat exchangers (in
addition to the HW one) it is usually a clue that it is an old design
that has been kludged into operating as a condensing boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:32:40 +0000, MikeT wrote:

On April 21 2006, John Stumbles wrote:

Any installers help point me in the right direction please

I'd avoid the Baxi which sounds like an ancient cast-iron design with
a secondary heat exchanger bolted on, and go for the Worcester Bosch.
They do do combis with better hot water output but I wonder if a combi
is right
fro a 3-bed house (how many bathrooms and showers do you have?)

For a fuller discussion of these matters see Ed Sirett's "Choosing a
Boiler FAQ" http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

Ok, to me the Baxi sounded better with 2 exchangers, thats how little I
know. Thats after reading the faq!

If I were retired or something I could no doubt have produced the
illustrated FAQ with lot of colour pictures showing the different features.

The FAQ does make fairly explicit mention of the difference between
one-piece and additional secondary exchangers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

It's relatively little work to add a few TRVs.
With such a large room you might find that you need to be able to control
whereabouts the heat is added. On the other hand it might alredy be proven
to work well, balanced and controllable without TRVs.
In any case retrofitting the TRVs is not hugely disruptive.