Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default Baxi Main 30 HE or Greenstar 28i Junior?

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:23:15 +0000, MikeT wrote:

I have a 3 bed detached with 30yr old CH/HW system and have just got a
price from a local Corgi plumber for a complete new system.

8 rads, 4 with trv's, dual prog timer/roomstat, new gas supply from
garage to porch where I want the boiler and the quote price is £2800
with a Baxi Main 30 HE or £3000 with a Greenstar 28i Junior. This
includes removal of all old pipework, rads, tanks etc.

My Question is which boiler should I go for? No baths taken in this
house, just showers

The Baxi spec seems to show 2 heat exchangers (1 caste iron the other
alloy), the 28i only one? Hot water throughput on the baxi is more 12.1
ltr/min against 11.4 ltr/min Baxi states independent control of hot
water /heating temp, dont know on 28i Baxi is 11.9 to 31kw output,
Junior is 7.2 to 28kw

Any installers help point me in the right direction please

I'd avoid the Baxi which sounds like an ancient cast-iron design with a
secondary heat exchanger bolted on, and go for the Worcester Bosch. They
do do combis with better hot water output but I wonder if a combi is right
fro a 3-bed house (how many bathrooms and showers do you have?)

For a fuller discussion of these matters see Ed Sirett's "Choosing a
Boiler FAQ" http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html