Brian McKechnie

Default Main Water Line Question

My main water line (1/2" copper pipe) comes in through the bottom of my
basement wall and bends/slopes outward from the wall about two feet then
connects to the main shut-off and water meter (all on the floor).

I need to replace the main shut-off because it is rusted and leaking. Since
I am doing that I want to raise the shut-off and water meter off the ground.
My question is: is there anything wrong with putting an elbow connector
right where the water line enters the house so I can run the new pipe up
against the wall to another elbow which will then run to the shut-off and
water meter.

This is basically what I want to do:

___SHUT-OFF____METER___

ELBOW UP

Thank you for all your help.

B. McKechnie

Speedy Jim

Brian McKechnie wrote:

My main water line (1/2" copper pipe) comes in through the bottom of my
basement wall and bends/slopes outward from the wall about two feet then
connects to the main shut-off and water meter (all on the floor).

I need to replace the main shut-off because it is rusted and leaking. Since
I am doing that I want to raise the shut-off and water meter off the ground.
My question is: is there anything wrong with putting an elbow connector
right where the water line enters the house so I can run the new pipe up
against the wall to another elbow which will then run to the shut-off and
water meter.

This is basically what I want to do:

___SHUT-OFF____METER___

ELBOW UP

Thank you for all your help.

B. McKechnie

The utility may have insisted that the line be solid,
without soldered fittings, to the shutoff.
They do that because of the greater danger of a
soldered fitting bursting/pulling off.

Ask them. You're going to have to have the water shut off at the
curb anyway.

Jim
m Ransley

Call your utility, they will come out and advise you to code and the
correct way . DO NOT disconnect their meter , let them cut the wire and
advise you and lock the meter when you finish. My utility co was great
and gave me some free parts to help. Tampering with a meter is illegal.

Brian McKechnie

My utility co. doesn't seem to think the rusted shut-off and leaky water
meter is a problem. Basically they told me it was my problem to fix. They
are turning off the water at the curb for me and they are aware of what I am
doing.

I figured it might cause more of a risk of bursting if there was elbows
before the shut-off instead of one solid line. I have also heard it might
lower my pressure (which is not that strong to begin with). I think I might
just use the existing line into the shut-off then upgrade the pipes to the
meter, etc.

Thanks for all your comments.

B. McKechnie

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Call your utility, they will come out and advise you to code and the
correct way . DO NOT disconnect their meter , let them cut the wire and
advise you and lock the meter when you finish. My utility co was great
and gave me some free parts to help. Tampering with a meter is illegal.

Joe Bobst

My main water line (1/2" copper pipe) comes in through the bottom of my
basement wall and bends/slopes outward from the wall about two feet then
connects to the main shut-off and water meter (all on the floor).I need to
replace the main shut-off because it is rusted and leaking.

You actually have two problems, and the worst one is your miserable 1/2" main
water line. Given that, I'd call in a plumber and have the wretched problem
line replaced with a minimum 3/4" copper, preferably 1" copper. The job will
include new valves whatever, to give you a far better water service. IMHO, this
would be money well spent. Good luck.

Joe

Brian McKechnie

I wanted to get my main line upgraded to at least 3/4". The utility co. came
out dug a hole and checked the line. They said that it was a fairly new 1/2"
copper line and they would not recommend replacing it. They also said the
line had nothing to do with any of my problems (leaking, pressure, etc.) and
that it was internal problems.

I still plan to get the line upgraded but not until next summer when I have
to dig anyway to seal foundation cracks at the front of my house. For the
time being I have to get a new shut-off installed (if I touch the current
shut-off pieces fall off and I would not dare even try to turn it).

B. McKechnie

From: osspam (Joe Bobst)

y main water line (1/2" copper pipe) comes in through the bottom of my
basement wall and bends/slopes outward from the wall about two feet then
connects to the main shut-off and water meter (all on the floor).I need

replace the main shut-off because it is rusted and leaking.

You actually have two problems, and the worst one is your miserable 1/2"

main
water line. Given that, I'd call in a plumber and have the wretched

problem
line replaced with a minimum 3/4" copper, preferably 1" copper. The job

will
include new valves whatever, to give you a far better water service.

IMHO,
this
would be money well spent. Good luck.

Joe

I question the accuracy of that 1/2" as a main water line. Here in NY they

used
to be 1 & 1/2 and then dropped fdown to 1" when pressures increased and
distribution systems improved, and then since the 60's they're all 3/4"

unless
you paid extra.
Every residential meter I've seen is called a 5/8ths meter.

Never saw a 1/2" service.