Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Inverse countersink?

Hi all,

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?

Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
*thing* would for rods?

Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?

Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
*thing* would for rods?

Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

A file?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?

Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
*thing* would for rods?

Depending on the quantity and their lengths either a drill held in a vice,
or lathe if you have access to one, and a file, but if you have lots to do
it would be quite time consuming! Also the chamfers wouldn't be exactly the
same but this may not matter.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams

In article ,
T i m wrote:

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg
chamfer on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm
dia)?

I have a grinding wheel with a drill
sharpening attachment. It is just a
short length of angle iron that holds
the end of the drill at a fixed angle
to the side of the grinding wheel.
It also chamfers the cut ends of rods
quite nicely.

When the rods are too short to hold I
stick them in the electric drill and
spin them against a spinning grinding
wheel (usually for putting points on).
Rough cuts when the spins are in the
opposite directions, face the other
way for finishing cuts.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:50:31 +0100, Tony Williams wrote:

When the rods are too short to hold I stick them in the electric drill and
spin them against a spinning grinding wheel (usually for putting points on).

I was about to say the same thing.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?

Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
*thing* would for rods?

Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

All the best ..

T i m

A lathe...

:-)

Also, put rod in drill chuck and use static grinding disk,

Also use bench grinder and carefully rotate rod ..

On balance, unless hyper accuracy is required, I'd do the latter.

Bench grinders are pretty cheap in the sheds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
|on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?
|
|Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
|*thing* would for rods?
|
|Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

A grinding wheel?
But that requires a modicum of skill to get the angle consistent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:03:35 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
|on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?
|
|Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
|*thing* would for rods?
|
|Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

A grinding wheel?
But that requires a modicum of skill to get the angle consistent.

Thanks for the thoughts / ideas so far guys but in hindsight I realise
I should have highlited the 'hand tool' direction a bit stronger (I
did say 'like a hand countersink / pencil sharpner' but that was still
a bit loose) ;-(

In this situation the (plastic) rods are 'fixed' (can't easily be
taken to my Myford and aren't 'rod' section all the way down) and only
need a rough chamfer on them, just summat better than a dead square
end, to assist the entry of the rod through a cover as it's placed
over them.

Being a sorta flexible nylony / plastic type material it doesn't take
to being 'filed' as such and sorta ends up all hairy (that can be
removed with some wet-n-dry but not the magic solution I was hoping
for) ;-(

And being only ~ 4mm diameter not an easy size to file / rasp round in
situ anyway?

So it want's to be to the rod, what a hand held countersink (rather
than de-burring tool) would be to the edges of a drilled hole and used
like a chalk on the end of a cue ..(as it portable / adaptable) ;-)

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?

Yes, an inside-out countersink. They have 5 cutting edges, so that
they run true.

Haven't seen one for sale in years, mine are a mixture of '50s and
pre-war. Dead handy gadgets and I snap them up whenever I see one -
excellent tools when starting with a diestock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 GMT, T i m wrote:

removed with some wet-n-dry

Get a bit of dowel, countersink the end. Get some wet-n-dry, form it
into a cone, glue inside dowel.

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
|on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?
|
|Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
|*thing* would for rods?
|
|Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

A grinding wheel?
But that requires a modicum of skill to get the angle consistent.

Thanks for the thoughts / ideas so far guys but in hindsight I realise
I should have highlited the 'hand tool' direction a bit stronger (I
did say 'like a hand countersink / pencil sharpner' but that was still
a bit loose) ;-(

In this situation the (plastic) rods are 'fixed' (can't easily be
taken to my Myford and aren't 'rod' section all the way down) and only
need a rough chamfer on them, just summat better than a dead square
end, to assist the entry of the rod through a cover as it's placed
over them.

Being a sorta flexible nylony / plastic type material it doesn't take
to being 'filed' as such and sorta ends up all hairy (that can be
removed with some wet-n-dry but not the magic solution I was hoping
for) ;-(

And being only ~ 4mm diameter not an easy size to file / rasp round in
situ anyway?

So it want's to be to the rod, what a hand held countersink (rather
than de-burring tool) would be to the edges of a drilled hole and used
like a chalk on the end of a cue ..(as it portable / adaptable) ;-)

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener ...

FILE.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
|on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?
|
|Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
|*thing* would for rods?
|
|Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

FILE.

Another possibility is a stone for sharpening darts (the pub game
type).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 +0000, T i m wrote:

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener ...

How about a desk-mounted sharpener - sort of thing teacher used to have
on their desk?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 +0000, T i m wrote:

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener

How about a desk-mounted sharpener - sort of thing teacher used to

have
on their desk?

When I bought my Spot Welder it came with such a device that fits in
an electric drill and sharpens the copper electrodes to a blunt cone -
so go and spend £400 on a spot welder and you'll get one free !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Frank Erskine
writes

wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
|on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?
|
|Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
|*thing* would for rods?
|
|Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

FILE.

Another possibility is a stone for sharpening darts (the pub game
type).

An inspired answer Frank, I knew I'd seen a stone shaped like that but
couldn't think where. They're still available too:
http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/m.../UKFitnessSupp
liesLtd/8100/55395
There even seem to be some electric ones:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=...en&btnG=Google
+Search&as_epq=dart+sharpener
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

When I bought my Spot Welder it came with such a device that fits in
an electric drill and sharpens the copper electrodes to a blunt cone -
so go and spend £400 on a spot welder and you'll get one free !

Cor, when I was a lad we had to do that with a file.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:54:05 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 +0000, T i m wrote:

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener ...

How about a desk-mounted sharpener - sort of thing teacher used to have
on their desk?

Well, I'm not sure how easy it would be to work 'hand held' but the
mech itself mught be worthy of a closer look?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:45:49 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 GMT, T i m wrote:

removed with some wet-n-dry

Get a bit of dowel, countersink the end. Get some wet-n-dry, form it
into a cone, glue inside dowel.

Imaginitive ;-)

I feel this particular plastic would respond better to a blade than
the wet-n-dry but it's given me a thought re making my own?

If I bored said cone in the end of a bit of ally rod then cut a slot
across the end (parallel to one face of the cone) so that I could slip
various grades of grit paper into the side of the 'cone' ...

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:46:08 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 +0000, T i m wrote:

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener

How about a desk-mounted sharpener - sort of thing teacher used to

have
on their desk?

When I bought my Spot Welder it came with such a device that fits in
an electric drill and sharpens the copper electrodes to a blunt cone -
so go and spend £400 on a spot welder and you'll get one free !

Well that means someone makes them though eh ..?

Any idea what the actuall cutters are in there please Andrew?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:50:49 GMT, T i m wrote:

I feel this particular plastic would respond better to a blade than
the wet-n-dry but it's given me a thought re making my own?

OK, I've got to ask. What's it for?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:00:32 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:50:49 GMT, T i m wrote:

I feel this particular plastic would respond better to a blade than
the wet-n-dry but it's given me a thought re making my own?

OK, I've got to ask. What's it for?

I wondered when someome would ;-)

It's actually for the body posts on 10th scale RC Touring cars (or any
other RC car for that matter).

When you buy most model of car they don't come with bodyshells so they
don't know what height they should be so provide extra long ones that
need cutting down. You would generally do this with a pair of side
cutters but then that leaves a very square end that isn'r fun to get
through the bodyshell, sepecially when the race computer is running
and you have 10 seconds get the battery in and body back on!.

(this happened last night when a mate arrived with his brand new car
and remembered he hadn't trimmed the body posts down. He cut them
short with some side cutters but was then left with 4 very square ends
(see above))

So, we generally have to take them off and file / sand / shave the end
into a rounded point. Because of how they mount on the cars you can't
easily put them in a lathe (lumps amd brackets sticking out at all
angles) and they are way too flexible to be treated this way.

Hence the need for a suitable 'field' tool that quicky and neatly
rounds or even (more realistically) chamfers the ends of these body
posts.

If such doesn't currently exist then maybe there is a market for them.
The other day I bought a nice tapered reamer for making the holes in
the polycarbonate bodyshells (£9.99). Normally you have to drill a
hole then open it up with a taper reamer but this ones starts at a
point so you can take it straight through from scratch (again, handy
if you get to the track and realise you have forgotten to make the
hole for the transponder) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I've just sorta got back into 10th scale electrics via a couple
of mates and my daughter (who was a sponsered racer when she was 8
g). Even with an obosolete car and batteries that had fungus growing
out the end I managed 3rd in the 'A' final last night, closely
followed by my daughter (now 15) ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:38:35 GMT, T i m wrote:

It's actually for the body posts on 10th scale RC Touring cars

And a pencil sharpener doesn't work?

Try an eyeliner pencil sharpener, they cut at a less steep angle.

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/orad12860.asp

Slightly worried that I know this.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:45:04 GMT, T i m wrote:

removed with some wet-n-dry

Get a bit of dowel, countersink the end. Get some wet-n-dry, form it
into a cone, glue inside dowel.

Imaginitive ;-)

I feel this particular plastic would respond better to a blade than
the wet-n-dry but it's given me a thought re making my own?

If I bored said cone in the end of a bit of ally rod then cut a slot
across the end (parallel to one face of the cone) so that I could slip
various grades of grit paper into the side of the 'cone' ...

How about something like this

___ ... ___
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|\ | | |
| \ | | |
| \| | |
| \ | |
| |\ | |
| | \ | |
|___|..\|___|

where the diagonal line is a slot with a bit of tool steel inserted,
with the edge ground like a lathe tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:49:46 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:38:35 GMT, T i m wrote:

It's actually for the body posts on 10th scale RC Touring cars

And a pencil sharpener doesn't work?

Try an eyeliner pencil sharpener, they cut at a less steep angle.

shrug

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/orad12860.asp

Ah, right .. I'll see if the girls have such a thing in their kit///
makup bags ;-)

Slightly worried that I know this.

Hey, I'm ok with it if you are 'Nigel' (or 'Nigella' is it at the
weekends maybe.?) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:12:13 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hey, thanks for that Rob ;-)

Yup, that was the sort of thing I was thinking of *except* that this
'waxy-nylony-plastic' might be a bit particular to cut.

If you have something too aggressive it's likely to snag and just
twist the rod up as you try to turn it and too shallow and it's likely
to skid over the surface ;-(

I dare say with a bit of trial-and-error it would work though
(assuming I can't find something ready made first of course ;-)

Like Nigella's weg eyeliner trimmer. I buy them for 99p from Boots,
peel off the Boots sticker and apply the chrome TRP (Tims Racing
Products) one and sell them for £9.99 [1] to the model car racing
boys! ;-)

Holiday villa here we come! (not)

All the best ..

T i m

[1] minus Nigella's commision of course. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:06:13 GMT, T i m wrote:

If you have something too aggressive it's likely to snag and just
twist the rod up as you try to turn it and too shallow and it's likely
to skid over the surface ;-(

Another thought. When I chamfer the edges of plastic pipe, I use a
Stanley blade held at right angles to the direction of cut. It doesn't
cut, more of a scrape.

Perhaps you could make a small jig to hold a scalpel blade.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:27:00 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:06:13 GMT, T i m wrote:

If you have something too aggressive it's likely to snag and just
twist the rod up as you try to turn it and too shallow and it's likely
to skid over the surface ;-(

Another thought. When I chamfer the edges of plastic pipe, I use a
Stanley blade held at right angles to the direction of cut. It doesn't
cut, more of a scrape.

Understood and I generally use my Leatherman knife blade as it's with
me all the time ;-)

Perhaps you could make a small jig to hold a scalpel blade.

I should think so ... hmmm .. thoughts . ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I like yer yacht btw .. the bigest we got to was a 21 (Dad's a
Master Mariner (Shell tankers) and Yachts Master) ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:03:17 GMT, T i m wrote:

p.s. I like yer yacht btw .. the bigest we got to was a 21 (Dad's a
Master Mariner (Shell tankers) and Yachts Master) ;-)

How? ... Oh yes, I posted a link in another thread didn't I.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 17:10:17 +0100, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:03:17 GMT, T i m wrote:

p.s. I like yer yacht btw .. the bigest we got to was a 21 (Dad's a
Master Mariner (Shell tankers) and Yachts Master) ;-)

How? ... Oh yes, I posted a link in another thread didn't I.

Oh yes, you can run but you'll only die tired .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:06:13 GMT, T i m wrote:

Yup, that was the sort of thing I was thinking of *except* that this
'waxy-nylony-plastic' might be a bit particular to cut.

If you have something too aggressive it's likely to snag and just
twist the rod up as you try to turn it and too shallow and it's likely
to skid over the surface ;-(

Try this:
http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?catID=excn

It's an "external countersinker"...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 20:36:03 +0200, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:06:13 GMT, T i m wrote:

Yup, that was the sort of thing I was thinking of *except* that this
'waxy-nylony-plastic' might be a bit particular to cut.

If you have something too aggressive it's likely to snag and just
twist the rod up as you try to turn it and too shallow and it's likely
to skid over the surface ;-(

Try this:
http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?catID=excn

It's an "external countersinker"...

Thomas Prufer

Wow, they do exist!

And they have a UK agent ..

http://www.lineartools.co.uk

And available in online in the UK .. well I found one place with a
picture of the beast ..

http://tinyurl.com/jut8m

Now, I wonder if the cutter can be removed from the cranked handle
because I'm not sure the fairly flexible 'body mount' post would take
much sideways load (the cranked handle bit)?

If I could mount that head on an 'inline' handle then we might be in
business!

All the best and thanks very much Thomas ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:36:32 GMT, T i m wrote:

Now, I wonder if the cutter can be removed from the cranked handle
because I'm not sure the fairly flexible 'body mount' post would take
much sideways load (the cranked handle bit)?

Probably not "taken off so you can put it back on", but cut off, yes.

I have a similar tool, (not Noga) but just with the bent blades for deburring
straight edges and holes; don't know if others besides Noga make the "external
countersink".

If you're ordering anyway, get one and a few different blades. The tool is great
for deburring metal or plastic (thin, too!), cutting off flash, or enlarging a
hole. A treat on the inside of copper, plastic, or steel pipe, too.
From my experience with the tool (using the blades, not the exterior
countersink), I think you can easily be gentle enough to taper a thin soft post.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:36:32 GMT, T i m wrote:

And they have a UK agent ..

http://www.lineartools.co.uk

Look at their "Noga Plastic Pipe Deburrer". I don't think it will do what you
want, or not do it well, but it looks a little like some of the suggested diy
tools...

(It's shown doing the inside of a pipe. The metal edges stick out on either side
of the tool, and the other side works for the outside edge of a pipe or rod).

Thomas Prufer