Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerome Ranch

Default Countersink Bits

Input on the best bits for countersinking will be appreciated.
The ones I have are tearing up the surface grain real bad (and they're
brand new)
Jerry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Jerome Ranch wrote:

Input on the best bits for countersinking will be appreciated.
The ones I have are tearing up the surface grain real bad (and they're
brand new)
Jerry

I bought a set of spiral, tapered bits with countersinks from Lee Valley
some 20 years ago. Flawless, never sharpened still in use today. (I did
break the tip off the #12 but it still works...sorta/kinda.)

The usual disclaimer applies: I'm Kanuckistani, like Robin Lee, other
than that we never had lunch.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

I have been very happy with a countersink bit I purchased from Lee Valley
Tool.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

I like the continuous style. It has given me less tearout.

Dave Paine.

"Jerome Ranch" wrote in message
Input on the best bits for countersinking will be appreciated.
The ones I have are tearing up the surface grain real bad (and they're
brand new)
Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerome Ranch

Dave
How would you control depth of cut with that style?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41328

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

Jerome Ranch writes:

Dave
How would you control depth of cut with that style?

With care or preferably the drill presses depth stop.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Yes this is what I have been doing so far. My present uses have not
required precision. If I need to truly control then I would use a drill
press.

I normally use the countersink bit in a brace and bit. I drill a little,
test the hole against the screw head until I get the whole head to fit in
the hole.

Dave Paine

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Jerome Ranch writes:

Dave
How would you control depth of cut with that style?

With care or preferably the drill presses depth stop.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Burton

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...at=3,41306,413
28

I like the continuous style. It has given me less tearout.

Dave Paine.

"Jerome Ranch" wrote in message
Input on the best bits for countersinking will be appreciated.
The ones I have are tearing up the surface grain real bad (and
they're brand new)
Jerry

The single flute countersinks are excellent. The ones I own are made by the
Weldon Tool Company, I think bought mine at The Cutting Edge in Houston I
think. They work great in Aluminum as well.

--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

mhburton at tbird-hardwoods dot com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Jerome Ranch wrote:
Input on the best bits for countersinking will be appreciated.
The ones I have are tearing up the surface grain real bad (and they're
brand new)

You might try checking the edge on the ones you have, and sharpening if
necessary.

er
--
email not valid