Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Inverse countersink?

T i m wrote:
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:03:35 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:07:54 GMT, T i m wrote:

|Hi all,
|
|Is there a gadget out there that would de-burr / put a 45 deg chamfer
|on the end of a range of small diameter rods (say 2-10mm dia)?
|
|Like a hand countersink tool would do for a range of small holes, this
|*thing* would for rods?
|
|Like a pencil sharpener but at a greater angle and less aggressive?

A grinding wheel?
But that requires a modicum of skill to get the angle consistent.

Thanks for the thoughts / ideas so far guys but in hindsight I realise
I should have highlited the 'hand tool' direction a bit stronger (I
did say 'like a hand countersink / pencil sharpner' but that was still
a bit loose) ;-(

In this situation the (plastic) rods are 'fixed' (can't easily be
taken to my Myford and aren't 'rod' section all the way down) and only
need a rough chamfer on them, just summat better than a dead square
end, to assist the entry of the rod through a cover as it's placed
over them.

Being a sorta flexible nylony / plastic type material it doesn't take
to being 'filed' as such and sorta ends up all hairy (that can be
removed with some wet-n-dry but not the magic solution I was hoping
for) ;-(

And being only ~ 4mm diameter not an easy size to file / rasp round in
situ anyway?

So it want's to be to the rod, what a hand held countersink (rather
than de-burring tool) would be to the edges of a drilled hole and used
like a chalk on the end of a cue ..(as it portable / adaptable) ;-)

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

p.s. The nearest thing I can think of is still a pencil sharpener ...

FILE.