Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

Default failing dish washer

weve benn having problems with the above.
First problem was that stuff was coming out feeling 'grainy' , which
dissolved away quite easily.

Weve used it till the salt/rinseaid was empty and refilled them but no
improvement.
Now there is till detritus left on cutlery.

Bowls seem to be affected worse.
All parts of dishwasher affected
ive had the rotating arms off and flushed them throughand they are clear,
and Ive had the filters out and cleaned them out.

Where do I ( or someone else) look next?

last time a little man came to fix it (on guarantee) lots of perfectly good
bits seemed to have been replaced (I wasnt in at the time ) , so i'd like
to hav some ide of where the problem might lie if it a bit beyond me to
diagnose and /or fix it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2006 17:27 p cooper wrote:

Where do I ( or someone else) look next?

Check all pipes/connections to the 'twirly bit' (technical term!) inside
the washing cavity. We had a similar problem and the connector was
cracked and leaking water directly into the machine rather than making
it pass through said 'twirly bit'.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

"p cooper" wrote in message
. uk...
weve benn having problems with the above.
First problem was that stuff was coming out feeling 'grainy' , which
dissolved away quite easily.

Weve used it till the salt/rinseaid was empty and refilled them but no
improvement.
Now there is till detritus left on cutlery.

Bowls seem to be affected worse.
All parts of dishwasher affected
ive had the rotating arms off and flushed them throughand they are clear,
and Ive had the filters out and cleaned them out.

Where do I ( or someone else) look next?

last time a little man came to fix it (on guarantee) lots of perfectly
good
bits seemed to have been replaced (I wasnt in at the time ) , so i'd like
to hav some ide of where the problem might lie if it a bit beyond me to
diagnose and /or fix it

if you brought one of the MFI jobs its about Par for the course

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

"p cooper" wrote in message
. uk...
weve benn having problems with the above.
First problem was that stuff was coming out feeling 'grainy' , which
dissolved away quite easily.

Weve used it till the salt/rinseaid was empty and refilled them but no
improvement.
Now there is till detritus left on cutlery.

Bowls seem to be affected worse.
All parts of dishwasher affected
ive had the rotating arms off and flushed them throughand they are clear,
and Ive had the filters out and cleaned them out.

Where do I ( or someone else) look next?

last time a little man came to fix it (on guarantee) lots of perfectly
good
bits seemed to have been replaced (I wasnt in at the time ) , so i'd like
to hav some ide of where the problem might lie if it a bit beyond me to
diagnose and /or fix it

Divorce and marry a new one for dishwashing
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"p cooper" wrote in message
. uk...
weve benn having problems with the above.
First problem was that stuff was coming out feeling 'grainy' , which
dissolved away quite easily.

Weve used it till the salt/rinseaid was empty and refilled them but no
improvement.
Now there is till detritus left on cutlery.

Bowls seem to be affected worse.
All parts of dishwasher affected
ive had the rotating arms off and flushed them throughand they are clear,
and Ive had the filters out and cleaned them out.

Where do I ( or someone else) look next?

last time a little man came to fix it (on guarantee) lots of perfectly
good
bits seemed to have been replaced (I wasnt in at the time ) , so i'd like
to hav some ide of where the problem might lie if it a bit beyond me to
diagnose and /or fix it

First, I would turn the machine on, then when it is running at full
throttle, open the door* to make sure the rotating arms, are doing as
expected.

Then take it from there...

*A little bit, but be prepared for a slight soaking, these things seem to be
quite high pressure!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:27:50 GMT, p cooper
wrote:

weve benn having problems with the above.

Use a washing up bowl and a squirt of detergent. Amazingly it does the
same job with no 240v electrical bits to go wrong and in about a tenth
of the time whilst using miniscule amounts of water. By changing you
also get to chuck away/sell about half your crockery and gain another
600mm floor unit for storage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

p cooper wrote:
weve benn having problems with the above.
First problem was that stuff was coming out feeling 'grainy' , which
dissolved away quite easily.

Weve used it till the salt/rinseaid was empty and refilled them but no
improvement.
Now there is till detritus left on cutlery.

Bowls seem to be affected worse.
All parts of dishwasher affected
ive had the rotating arms off and flushed them throughand they are clear,
and Ive had the filters out and cleaned them out.

Where do I ( or someone else) look next?

last time a little man came to fix it (on guarantee) lots of perfectly good
bits seemed to have been replaced (I wasnt in at the time ) , so i'd like
to hav some ide of where the problem might lie if it a bit beyond me to
diagnose and /or fix it

i bought a d/w 2 years ago and have never had a problem, it was only
about £180 if it broke down tommorrow i wouldnt be upset as it has
served me very well this far!

my advice, nip off and buy a brand new one for mothers day!

two birds, one stone eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

Bosch DW - John Lewis.

Arms are rotating & lots of hot water around when its in mid-cycle.

Anyone any ideas ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

p cooper wrote:

Bosch DW - John Lewis.

Arms are rotating & lots of hot water around when its in mid-cycle.

Anyone any ideas ?

in addition

doesnt make any significnat inroads into fatty things.
coffee dregs dont get moved at all

WTF is wrong with it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:44:04 GMT, p cooper
wrote:

p cooper wrote:

Bosch DW - John Lewis.

Arms are rotating & lots of hot water around when its in mid-cycle.

Anyone any ideas ?

in addition

doesnt make any significnat inroads into fatty things.
coffee dregs dont get moved at all

WTF is wrong with it ?

Is the built in softener set correctly for the local water? Also are
you using decent dishwasher powder/tablets?

Also have you tried dishwasher cleaner on a hi temp cycle? Maybe the
pump is gunged up.

Also try asking at:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

wrote:

p cooper wrote:

Bosch DW - John Lewis.

Arms are rotating & lots of hot water around when its in mid-cycle.

Anyone any ideas ?

in addition

doesnt make any significnat inroads into fatty things.
coffee dregs dont get moved at all

WTF is wrong with it ?

Is the built in softener set correctly for the local water? Also are
you using decent dishwasher powder/tablets?

Also have you tried dishwasher cleaner on a hi temp cycle? Maybe the
pump is gunged up.

Also try asking at:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

cheers,
weve tried dishwasher cleaner on an emptry DW at 75% a couplf times -

still not working properly.

Arms are rotating
water is hot
Its not truncating the cycle.

Weve found the DW tablet lying in the bottom of the machine ( largely
undissolved except for the little red ball) a couple of times

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"p cooper" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

p cooper wrote:

[...]

Maybe you have a partially blocked pump then

If you open the door mid cycle, is the water pressure really high?
On mine, it shoots across the room if I open the door too much!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

If you open the door mid cycle, is the water pressure really high?
On mine, it shoots across the room if I open the door too much!

Sparks...

certainly doesnt shoot across the room .........
its hot and the arms rotate
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"p cooper" wrote in message
. uk...

If you open the door mid cycle, is the water pressure really high?
On mine, it shoots across the room if I open the door too much!

Sparks...

certainly doesnt shoot across the room .........
its hot and the arms rotate

Them my guess would be it's either a problem with the water circulation
(Pump problem, or maybe a blockage somewhere) or a problem with the
heating - is it getting really hot in there? try running it, then as soon as
the cycle is finished, open the door and feel the plates - are they really
hot (mine are bloody hot if I take something out just after it has finished)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

plates are hot - so it looks like a partial blockage in the water circuit
somewhere - that would fit with the more heavily soiled stuff not getting
clean and the nooks and crannies ( bowls) not getting clean.

Ive rung up a couple of the 'little men' who fix stuff and the ones i have
confidence in dont do dishwashers (both said they can get the parts).
There are a couple of others that do DWs but on past experience Im not
keen

How do i have a look and see if the pump is blocked (Bosch SGS5342)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

"p cooper" wrote in message
k...
plates are hot - so it looks like a partial blockage in the water circuit
somewhere - that would fit with the more heavily soiled stuff not getting
clean and the nooks and crannies ( bowls) not getting clean.

Ive rung up a couple of the 'little men' who fix stuff and the ones i

have
confidence in dont do dishwashers (both said they can get the parts).
There are a couple of others that do DWs but on past experience Im not
keen

How do i have a look and see if the pump is blocked (Bosch SGS5342)

Hello

We had a similar problem earlier in the year - our Bosch dishwasher
gradually seemed to work less effectively, until we had to wash stuff twice
to get the plates clean, even with the latest "fancy" dishwasher tablets.
The tablets were often found just soggy in the bottom of the washer after
the cycle.

Anyway, we got our usual repairman out and he said that they have some sort
of tube/pressure switch which detects the water level. Over time (it took 4
years for ours) this can get blocked with crud/fat from your dishes, so the
washer thinks it's got enough water in when it hasn't. Ours was letting
water in for just a short while before stopping. When I had opened it
mid-cycle it was hot and there was water and steam, and the arms were
spinning, so it looked to me like it was working.

It took him about five minutes to find the tube and clean it. In ours it's
apparently a hole in the side of the drain pan under the grille in the
bottom of the machine. You get the grille off by unscrewing the cylidrical
grey filter, as you would when you clean it. You could probably use some
long pipe cleaners to do it, although he used a home-made thing to do the
job. It's worked perfectly ever since.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

John Weston wrote:

p cooper, in article mTAZf.49667$wl.31320
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, says...

If you open the door mid cycle, is the water pressure really high?
On mine, it shoots across the room if I open the door too much!

Sparks...

certainly doesnt shoot across the room .........
its hot and the arms rotate

Some dishwashers cut the feed to the pump if the door
microswitch detects the door opening. This is to reduce the
possibility of "injury" if someone opens the door when the
water is "hot"... I've often opened mine after it's started
to pop something else in and the spray has stopped before I've
opened the door even a fraction.

All the dishwashers that I've ever seen stop as soon as the door
is opened. What brand and model of dishwasher keeps going?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:16:06 UTC, John Weston
wrote:

Some dishwashers cut the feed to the pump if the door
microswitch detects the door opening. This is to reduce the
possibility of "injury" if someone opens the door when the
water is "hot"... I've often opened mine after it's started
to pop something else in and the spray has stopped before I've
opened the door even a fraction.

It's not just the hot water. A friend of mine works in a burns unit, and
even warm water is bad if it's combined with some brands of dishwasher
detergent, which can cause burn-like problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

had the bits accessible from the inside all out again.
filter are clear.
Under the grille there are 3 channels (approx 1/2" diameter). One (@ 9pm)
is for pumping out. Dont know about the other 2 - but they are both clear.
below the grille are 2 small (~2mm) holee which are clear - at least whe
poked with a nylon bristle brush down the hole.

How do i get at the pump ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
p cooper

fixed - guy came to do it.

Watrer is recycled through one of the holes at te bottom under the filter
adn then pases throught a pressure sensor on the LH front side. The pipe
from the base of the DW passes through float/pressure sensor. the entry
pipe was gunged up - just needed dynarodding out with a small length of
plastic