orangetrader

Default Adding a dish washer

If I add a new dish washer, I assume I will get the hot & old water supply
from the kitchen sink water supply. Do I need something to "split" the
water to the faucet and the dish washer? Also does the dish washer drain
into where the kitchen sink drains? Can I connect it laterally to the
kitchen p-trap or do I need to actually connect to the drain line which is
behind inside the exterior wall? I assume I will need a 240V outlet, right
now my refrigerator connects to it, so I need to install another outlet,
does it need to be GFIC (spelling)?

Thanks in advance,

Edwin Pawlowski

"orangetrader" wrote in message
If I add a new dish washer, I assume I will get the hot & old water supply
from the kitchen sink water supply.

Only hot is needed. You don't need either cold or old water. In most
cases it is easierst to p ut a "t" in the feed line to the sink, sometimes
is is esier to come up from the basement if the ceiling is open.

Do I need something to "split" the
water to the faucet and the dish washer?

A T fitting.

Also does the dish washer drain
into where the kitchen sink drains? Can I connect it laterally to the
kitchen p-trap or do I need to actually connect to the drain line which is
behind inside the exterior wall?

You can buy a piece of the drain pipe with an inlet for a dishwasher. If
you have a garbage disposal there will be a connection on the side.

I assume I will need a 240V outlet, right
now my refrigerator connects to it, so I need to install another outlet,

What country are you in? In the US it is 120V, in other countries it may be
240V. It should not share the circuit with a refrigerator.

does it need to be GFIC (spelling)?

Sure can't hurt. I'm not sure what the code is on that.

orangetrader

I am in the US. My refrigerator is using a 120V outlet but my washing
machine is plugged into a 240V outlet. I just assume may be a dish washer
will need 240V?

Thanks,

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I am in the US. My refrigerator is using a 120V outlet but my washing
machine is plugged into a 240V outlet. I just assume may be a dish washer
will need 240V?

Thanks,

I've never seen a 240 washer. Dryer, yes. DW are all 120. Some brands have
the manual on line so you can see in advance what you need.

Kevin

orangetrader wrote:
If I add a new dish washer, I assume I will get the hot & old water supply
from the kitchen sink water supply. Do I need something to "split" the
water to the faucet and the dish washer? Also does the dish washer drain
into where the kitchen sink drains? Can I connect it laterally to the
kitchen p-trap or do I need to actually connect to the drain line which is
behind inside the exterior wall? I assume I will need a 240V outlet, right
now my refrigerator connects to it, so I need to install another outlet,
does it need to be GFIC (spelling)?

Thanks in advance,

I connected the discharge of my Kitchen Aid into the garbage disposal
knock-out which is high enough, per manufacturer's instructions, that I
did not need a vacuum breaker up on the counter. If you don't have a
disposal, a 'T' at sufficient height should be OK. Said height should
be in your dishwasher's instructions somewhere.

Kevin

orangetrader wrote:

If I add a new dish washer, I assume I will get the hot & old water supply
from the kitchen sink water supply. Do I need something to "split" the
water to the faucet and the dish washer? Also does the dish washer drain
into where the kitchen sink drains? Can I connect it laterally to the
kitchen p-trap or do I need to actually connect to the drain line which is
behind inside the exterior wall? I assume I will need a 240V outlet, right
now my refrigerator connects to it, so I need to install another outlet,
does it need to be GFIC (spelling)?

Thanks in advance,

OOPS. Focused on the discharge. 120Vac should be fine. GCFI depends
on code, but I did just because. Hot water only required. Operating
instructions will likely call for running the hot faucet to clear the
cold from the pipes for more efficient cleaning.
Andy Hill

"orangetrader" wrote:
I am in the US. My refrigerator is using a 120V outlet but my washing
machine is plugged into a 240V outlet. I just assume may be a dish washer
will need 240V?

You just need 120V. And, while code doesn't require either a dedicated circuit
or a GFCI for the DW, both are a reasonable thing to do. You probably should
check the installation manual for your DW -- some manufacturers require a
dedicated circuit in order for the warranty to apply (especially for those DWs
with a "water heat" option -- those babies suck down the juice).

BTW, are you *sure* your washing machine is on 240V? That's not very common in
the US. Electric dryer, yeah, but washer?

How Dish Network Setup 4 Receivers in a House? [email protected] Home Repair 18 March 2nd 05 05:00 PM
trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
live dish washer Geoff UK diy 10 June 4th 04 08:55 AM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Repair 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM