Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

Default Friggin' laptops!

Well, I've done it again. Bought a cheap laptop and now paying the price.

Once again I've got problems with the DC power socket on a laptop. Symptoms
are of increasingly bad electrical contact (temporaily restored by wiggling
the plug) which has now reached the point of total non-conductivity. I've
checked the power supply lead and plug carefully and it isn't a problem with
either of them.

The last time this happened to me I was able to resolder the socket on the
motherboard but that doesn't look possible on this one.

By way of lateral thinking I got to wondering if it would be possible to
dismember the battery and lead power in through the battery contacts from a
suitable power supply (I'm not worried about running off battery power).
The slightly confusing thing is that the battery has 7 electrical contacts
so perhaps this idea is a non-starter.

Of course I could just send it off for repair but it's going to be a new
motherboard job and it probably needs a new battery too and and the end of
the day, it'll still be a fecking Packard Bell Easynote laptop. spit

So, has anyone done this?

Tim

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

You mean get a duff battery and take the cells out and connect power supply
to the lappy this way?
Yes it is possible as an old pico I had was subject to the same
problem,however this only had 4 terminals on battery,2 of them were not
active.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Tim Downie wrote:

Of course I could just send it off for repair but it's going to be a new
motherboard job and it probably needs a new battery too and and the end of
the day, it'll still be a fecking Packard Bell Easynote laptop. spit

Simplest thing to do is open it up, remove the DC socket and solder in a
short (~30cm) flying lead terminated in a line socket. Use a good
grommet at the exit hole.

And *don't buy Packard Bell again*!

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

Grunff wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

Of course I could just send it off for repair but it's going to be a
new motherboard job and it probably needs a new battery too and and
the end of the day, it'll still be a fecking Packard Bell Easynote
laptop. spit

Simplest thing to do is open it up, remove the DC socket and solder
in a short (~30cm) flying lead terminated in a line socket. Use a good
grommet at the exit hole.

I did that with an old Medion but the constant flexing of the fly lead
eventaully knackered it again. I was hoping for a better solution.

And *don't buy Packard Bell again*!

Well I know that *now*! ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You mean get a duff battery and take the cells out and connect power
supply to the lappy this way?

Yep.

Yes it is possible as an old pico I had was subject to the same
problem,however this only had 4 terminals on battery,2 of them were
not active.

Having 7 contacts is certainly complicating things somewhat. I've wondering
if the might be a 5V take-off as well as a 12V one from the battery.

Tim

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Tim Downie wrote:

Having 7 contacts is certainly complicating things somewhat. I've wondering
if the might be a 5V take-off as well as a 12V one from the battery.

No, the battery will have a single output voltage. Other contacts will
be various things - some unused and one (or two) temperature sensing.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Tim Downie wrote:

I did that with an old Medion but the constant flexing of the fly lead
eventaully knackered it again. I was hoping for a better solution.

If you secure the lead to the case, you shouldn't have a problem for a
very long time.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Downie wrote:

The slightly confusing thing is that the battery has 7 electrical contacts
so perhaps this idea is a non-starter.

I am afraid it probably is.

If it has lithium batteries in it they have a deal of clever circuitry
hung around them to make sure they don;'t get over charged, over
discharged, or relatively differentially charged.

Us toy plane fanatics rip all this out to save weight and increase
power, but we pay the price in increased danger of SERIOUS fires.

No way would I run a laptop without all that protection.

A LIPO fire is no joke.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Tim Downie wrote:

Once again I've got problems with the DC power socket on a laptop.

Buy a secondhand docking station.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

Of course I could just send it off for repair but it's going to be a new
motherboard job and it probably needs a new battery too and and the end of
the day, it'll still be a fecking Packard Bell Easynote laptop. spit

How old is it?

Remember the sale of goods act gives you more than just the
manufacturers warranty so you may be able to get a *free* repair for a
number of years. If, however, it was so cheap you couldn't reasonably
expect it to last very long then you may be on a hiding to nothing.

MBQ

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Dennis Pogson

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

Once again I've got problems with the DC power socket on a laptop.

Buy a secondhand docking station.

Happened to me a few years ago. I learned the hard way that to disconnect a
laptop from it's power lead, you split the lead at the power brick and leave
the plug in the laptop socket, every time!

Inconvenient but very, very cheap!

Dennis.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
Tim Downie wrote:

Of course I could just send it off for repair but it's going to be a
new motherboard job and it probably needs a new battery too and and
the end of the day, it'll still be a fecking Packard Bell Easynote
laptop. spit

Simplest thing to do is open it up, remove the DC socket and solder
in a short (~30cm) flying lead terminated in a line socket. Use a good
grommet at the exit hole.

I did that with an old Medion but the constant flexing of the fly lead
eventaully knackered it again. I was hoping for a better solution.

You could solder the fly lead to a couple of steel plates and glue them to
the case.
Solder the power lead to a couple of magnetic catches and away you go.

Now polarity is a problem so you need to think about the shapes a bit.

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

tony sayer wrote:
writes

wrote:

So that on leaves HP and Dell. I have 3 Toshes and they are all excellent.
But then, I don't spend my time pulling the mains lead in and out of them.If
I did........................who knows!
8-o

I've had a Dell.. useless thing..

Two S/Hand Tosh's and they've been fine)

Latest Apple notebook uses a magnetically attached power connector. Of
course Apple's no longer use floppy discs.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y

Hello Tim,

Sounds like you know your stuff with pc 's. We are a Laptop Repair
Centre & work silently as a Laptop Repair Centre for Computer
Businesses accross the UK It might be worth having a look at
www.ukaptoprepair.co.uk or call us on 0800 043 2524 maybe we could be a
good plan B for you should any laptops (PC or Mac) repairs need a
second attempt within economical value of course.

Kind Regards

Gem

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hello Tim,

Sounds like you know your stuff with pc 's. We are a Laptop Repair
Centre & work silently as a Laptop Repair Centre for Computer
Businesses accross the UK It might be worth having a look at
www.ukaptoprepair.co.uk or call us on 0800 043 2524 maybe we could be a

Is the 'phone number as accurate as the URL?

MBQ

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hello Tim,

Sounds like you know your stuff with pc 's. We are a Laptop Repair
Centre & work silently as a Laptop Repair Centre for Computer
Businesses accross the UK It might be worth having a look at
www.ukaptoprepair.co.uk or call us on 0800 043 2524 maybe we could
be a

Is the 'phone number as accurate as the URL?

MBQ

What the L is missing. ;-) sign of a no good tradesman.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Hzatph

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Well, I've done it again. Bought a cheap laptop and now paying the price.

Once again I've got problems with the DC power socket on a laptop.
Symptoms are of increasingly bad electrical contact (temporaily restored
by wiggling the plug) which has now reached the point of total
non-conductivity. I've checked the power supply lead and plug carefully
and it isn't a problem with either of them.

I have just sent my Acer back with an identical experience ... under
warranty fortunately

Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Iris Fish

I could do with www.uktaptoprepair.co.uk to change a washer

I could do with www.flaptoprepair.co.uk to restore my hymen.

friggin $%&@ squirrels ! C-u-L8r Home Repair 35 March 1st 05 07:51 PM
Laptops? NJ Electronics Repair 4 December 23rd 04 05:26 AM
OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops Charlie Self Woodworking 79 September 10th 04 04:26 PM
help! laptop's CMOS battery is dying ziliath Electronics Repair 11 August 4th 04 02:15 AM
laptops Activeviii Electronics 3 April 13th 04 07:52 AM