Posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie

Default Friggin' laptops!

Well, I've done it again. Bought a cheap laptop and now paying the price.

Once again I've got problems with the DC power socket on a laptop. Symptoms
are of increasingly bad electrical contact (temporaily restored by wiggling
the plug) which has now reached the point of total non-conductivity. I've
checked the power supply lead and plug carefully and it isn't a problem with
either of them.

The last time this happened to me I was able to resolder the socket on the
motherboard but that doesn't look possible on this one.

By way of lateral thinking I got to wondering if it would be possible to
dismember the battery and lead power in through the battery contacts from a
suitable power supply (I'm not worried about running off battery power).
The slightly confusing thing is that the battery has 7 electrical contacts
so perhaps this idea is a non-starter.

Of course I could just send it off for repair but it's going to be a new
motherboard job and it probably needs a new battery too and and the end of
the day, it'll still be a fecking Packard Bell Easynote laptop. spit

So, has anyone done this?

Tim