Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Woodwork magazine searchable archives?

Can anyone tell where I'll find the most comprehensive searchable
archives of woodworking magazines, for the purpose of finding specific
plans?
TIA
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:59:16 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Can anyone tell where I'll find the most comprehensive searchable
archives of woodworking magazines, for the purpose of finding specific
plans?
TIA

For plans for specific items and projects, www.plansnow.com is a
pretty good source.

Another, although more in the direction of techniques and things to be
adapted is Fine Woodworking. They have an online service as well
which is a subscription and allows you to download a fair proportion
of their articles.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Can anyone tell where I'll find the most comprehensive searchable
archives of woodworking magazines, for the purpose of finding specific
plans?
TIA

For plans for specific items and projects, www.plansnow.com is a
pretty good source.

Another, although more in the direction of techniques and things to be
adapted is Fine Woodworking. They have an online service as well
which is a subscription and allows you to download a fair proportion
of their articles.

Thanks, I've seen a few sites selling plans and they look ok. I may
end up using the plansnow option. I thought a mag archive would be
useful because I'd be able to locate the type of plan I'm interested
in and get a magazine to read in one hit. "Fine Woodworking" might be
a cut above my ability range. The Woodworker magazine is more my
level, not to denigrate the publication in any way. :-)
I'm hoping there's a site that has links to multiple magazine
archives, so I can scour the lot from one spot.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith \(Dorset\)

Mike,

The best thing I found (to avoid buying individual plans online) is to get
one of those woodworking disks on eBay - such as 'Searcaves' (a double CD
compilation).

I bought several different ones. Some of the plans repeat across various CD
authors, but no matter, I still now have hundreds and hundreds of different
plans / projects, for only a few quid. What's more I can compare a variety
of pergolas or whatever, and build / adapt whatever suits best.

Good luck,

Keith
NB - I am in no way connected with 'Searcaves' or any other of these CD
authors (just in case anyone has breached any copyright).

wrote:

Can anyone tell where I'll find the most comprehensive searchable
archives of woodworking magazines, for the purpose of finding specific
plans?
TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:31:38 +0000 (UTC), "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Mike,

The best thing I found (to avoid buying individual plans online) is to get
one of those woodworking disks on eBay - such as 'Searcaves' (a double CD
compilation).

I bought several different ones. Some of the plans repeat across various CD
authors, but no matter, I still now have hundreds and hundreds of different
plans / projects, for only a few quid. What's more I can compare a variety
of pergolas or whatever, and build / adapt whatever suits best.

Good luck,

Keith
NB - I am in no way connected with 'Searcaves' or any other of these CD
authors (just in case anyone has breached any copyright).

Thanks Keith, I'll have a look on eBay as you suggest. The CD's should
be very useful. I think that the potential in being able to search
multiple magazine archives from one place on the Internet would be
useful on a much larger scale though. I hope I can either find site
that enables this or start developing one.

.. .

wrote:

Can anyone tell where I'll find the most comprehensive searchable
archives of woodworking magazines, for the purpose of finding specific
plans?
TIA

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Keith \(Dorset\)" contains these words:

I bought several different ones. Some of the plans repeat across various CD
authors, but no matter, I still now have hundreds and hundreds of different
plans / projects, for only a few quid. What's more I can compare a variety
of pergolas or whatever, and build / adapt whatever suits best.

Any of them of windowframes? I'm still looking for ideas before I start
buying the timber.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith \(Dorset\)

Default Woodwork magazine searchable archives? - related but almost off topic!

Mike and others

As an afterthought (as a now part-retired magazine photojournalist) I wonder
if the magazines would be able to offer such an agreeably invaluable
archive...

The reason for this is, that in many cases, where the original plans /
feature material had been bought in from freelancers, they would have to pay
further 'electronic rights' - extra payments in order that they could be
allowed to reproduce the articles online. This is currently a very hot topic
among journalists and photographers, as some listreaders here may be aware

Perhaps this may be a reason why 'we' have both apparently failed to find
substantial archives of plans from woodworking magazines which we can dip in
to.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Keith

Mike wrote:

Thanks Keith, I'll have a look on eBay as you suggest. The CD's should
be very useful. I think that the potential in being able to search
multiple magazine archives from one place on the Internet would be
useful on a much larger scale though. I hope I can either find site
that enables this or start developing one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith \(Dorset\)

Guy

I haven't noticed any plans for window frames on these woodworking-plans
CDs.

Keith

"Guy King" wrote in message

Any of them of windowframes? I'm still looking for ideas before I start
buying the timber.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:27:56 +0000 (UTC), "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

Mike and others

As an afterthought (as a now part-retired magazine photojournalist) I wonder
if the magazines would be able to offer such an agreeably invaluable
archive...

The reason for this is, that in many cases, where the original plans /
feature material had been bought in from freelancers, they would have to pay
further 'electronic rights' - extra payments in order that they could be
allowed to reproduce the articles online. This is currently a very hot topic
among journalists and photographers, as some listreaders here may be aware

Perhaps this may be a reason why 'we' have both apparently failed to find
substantial archives of plans from woodworking magazines which we can dip in
to.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

What you envisage in terms of having these plans available on-line is
the ideal situation. You make a good point about the electronic rights
complications. Failing this level of availability though, I'd be happy
to buy a copy of the original magazine if there was a plan I wanted in
there. The trick is pinpointing a specific plan in the magazine's
publication history.
Keith

Mike wrote:

Thanks Keith, I'll have a look on eBay as you suggest. The CD's should
be very useful. I think that the potential in being able to search
multiple magazine archives from one place on the Internet would be
useful on a much larger scale though. I hope I can either find site
that enables this or start developing one.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Keith \(Dorset\)" contains these words:

I haven't noticed any plans for window frames on these woodworking-plans
CDs.

Ah, well - thanks.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

I've never found that. WHat you can find is a lot of designs and
ideas that originated from one or other of the Taunton publications
and have been adapted.

I quite often look at the PlansNow stuff for ideas and adapt them or
use the names as search terms to find other sources of the same thing.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

[...]

That's probably worth pursuing.

I quite often look at the PlansNow stuff for ideas and adapt them or
use the names as search terms to find other sources of the same thing.

Yes, thanks. Might as well adapt to what is there, rather than trying
to elaborate on what isn't. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack