Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default CFL RO 80 style

Just why are these so expensive? 13 quid in B&Q...

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Just why are these so expensive? 13 quid in B&Q...

I presume you are refering to the 23W GE Genura?

The price of these has simply never dropped, unlike all other
compact fluorescent retrofits. These were a new technology
when they were introduced some 10 years ago -- they are
electrodeless. Since failure of fluorescents is most commonly
due to failure of the electrode coating material, that mode
of failure is avoided and they last much longer. Also, the
losses associated with the extra voltage drop at the
electrodes is eliminated, making them more efficient.
When these were introduced, they were the only compact
fluorescents which were brighter than the lamps they intend
to replace whilst also being barely any larger. This might
still be the case even now. These lamps will carry on running
until either the control gear dies (a random effect, but
dependant on running temperature), or the phosphor wears out
and the light gets too dim to be viable. I had about 50%
still running after 20,000 hours, back when they only claimed
a life of 8,000 hours, although they were noticably dimmer
than new ones. Last time I noticed, GE were claiming a life
of 15,000 hours on the boxes.

Having been one of the pioneers of electrodeless lamps, GE
mysteriously stopped developing them after releasing this
first product, but has nevertheless continued manufacturing
the Genura. They would probably sell a lot more if they
dropped the price, but I'm sure if you do the calculations,
the lamp is still well worthwhile.

BTW, it's a flood lamp, not a spot lamp. It has quite a
prononced run-up, starting at something like 50W equivalent
light output, and increasing to over 100W equivalent in a
minute or so (although I haven't bought any for ages, so this
might have changed). Also, there's no switch-on penalty on
lamp life -- you can switch it on and off as often as you like.

There are folded tube R80's aroud now of course, but I don't
think any of them match the Genura's efficiency, light output,
and size match to a real R80, although some might have slightly
more directional beams.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Just why are these so expensive? 13 quid in B&Q...

I presume you are refering to the 23W GE Genura?

The electrode ones are pricey too, £8 for screwfix's 2nd rate
offering. Inferior light level, larger than standard R80, and comes on
fairly dim. Last time I saw the Genura it was over £20 as well.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Just why are these so expensive? 13 quid in B&Q...

I presume you are refering to the 23W GE Genura?

Yup.

[snip super explanation]

I have an RO80 in an ancient imitation TV type lamp which came from
Habitat and has barn doors - so ideal for just lighting the keyboard
without spilling on the screen. But the bulb seems to blow every other
month. The 15 times + life seemed attractive. Perhaps I'll treat myself to
a Xmas present. ;-)

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Just why are these so expensive? 13 quid in B&Q...

I presume you are refering to the 23W GE Genura?

Yup.

[snip super explanation]

I have an RO80 in an ancient imitation TV type lamp which came from
Habitat and has barn doors - so ideal for just lighting the keyboard
without spilling on the screen. But the bulb seems to blow every other
month. The 15 times + life seemed attractive. Perhaps I'll treat myself to
a Xmas present. ;-)

One other thing -- they are not available in 2700K.
They are manufacturered in 3000K and IIRC 3500K.
The 3000K will appear slightly cold when mixed
with filament lamps. I don't know which colour
temperature B&Q stocks.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel andrew@a17 wrote:
I have an RO80 in an ancient imitation TV type lamp which came from
Habitat and has barn doors - so ideal for just lighting the keyboard
without spilling on the screen. But the bulb seems to blow every other
month. The 15 times + life seemed attractive. Perhaps I'll treat
myself to a Xmas present. ;-)

One other thing -- they are not available in 2700K. They are
manufacturered in 3000K and IIRC 3500K. The 3000K will appear slightly
cold when mixed with filament lamps. I don't know which colour
temperature B&Q stocks.

Don't think that would be a problem - I don't use it with the room
lighting. And a nearer match to the monitor would be no bad thing.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Last time I saw the Genura it was over £20 as well.

Yes, they have been up at that price in B&Q.

When I first bought them, they were £11.50+VAT in boxed
quantities (which was only a tiny bit more than other retrofit
compact fluorescents at that time). The price climbed a little
after that, but does not seem to have changed a lot. Certainly
they haven't dropped in price the same way other retrofit
compact fluorescents have over the last 10 years.

Well, I've just bought one. Just under 20 quid. Colour temperature 2700k.
Even at a room temp of 20C it starts at near zero light output but quickly
comes up to full. Quite restful, really. ;-)

I hope I live long enough for it to pay for itself. It says it's 80%
efficient.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

re Genura...

It says it's 80%
efficient.

Not a chance - the ballast might be, but the lamp as a whole no way

NT