Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve P

Default dimmer switch headscratching

Hi,
I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up and
want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is dimmable). The
issue is that there are three light switches controlling the light, and
no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was thinking about putting
a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately before the transformer,
efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do this? All help much
appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steve P wrote:
I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up
and want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is
dimmable). The issue is that there are three light switches controlling
the light, and no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was
thinking about putting a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately
before the transformer, efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do
this? All help much appreciated.

You can get dimmers which can be controlled from multiple places, but they
are expensive. But you can simply put it where you say leaving the
existing switches - or get a push on push off type which usually has a two
way switch and replace one of the two way switches with it. Sod's law, of
course, will say it's actually were the intermediate is that will be the
ideal position for it.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Steve P wrote:

I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up and
want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is dimmable). The
issue is that there are three light switches controlling the light, and
no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was thinking about putting

You can replace either of the two way switches with a two way dimmer.

a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately before the transformer,
efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do this?

You could, or if you want complete control from all locations replace
one of the two way switches with a "master" dimmer, and the other
switches with slave dimmers:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_5/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve P wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up and
want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is dimmable). The
issue is that there are three light switches controlling the light, and
no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was thinking about putting
a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately before the transformer,
efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do this? All help much
appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Even if you do fit dimmers, the whole thing wont work so well. A dimer
on one switch position is just a pain, and dimmed halogens fail
prematurely and are even more energy inefficient than full voltage
halogens.

Why not fit bulbs that will give you a light a bit on the soft side,
then add other unobtrusive CFL lights elsewhere to bring the level up.
Then you can switch dim the room, you get no loss of efficiency, youve
got better energy efficiency with the CFLs, and still the look of
halos.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve P

Many thanks. I take the point about CFLs and the problems with the current
set up. I'm limited in my options as I'm trying to light a dining table from
above but need enough light to illuminate the room at other times. I'll have
a look for a free-standing lamp and a multi-way dimmer and hope I can change
out one of the existing switches.
Cheers,
Steve