Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve P

Default dimmer switch headscratching

Many thanks. I take the point about CFLs and the problems with the current
set up. I'm limited in my options as I'm trying to light a dining table from
above but need enough light to illuminate the room at other times. I'll have
a look for a free-standing lamp and a multi-way dimmer and hope I can change
out one of the existing switches.
Cheers,
Steve

"Steve P" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up
and want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is dimmable).
The issue is that there are three light switches controlling the light,
and no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was thinking about
putting a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately before the
transformer, efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do this? All help
much appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve