Elena Sofia Ricci

Default kitchen lights nightmare

Sorry for the length, but I don't know how else to explain it. If you can
help, I would be very grateful.

Background:

The light bulbs on my kitchen fan kept blowing, one by one, and eventually
none worked, not even those that I KNOW didn't blow. (I had tested them
elsewhere, and they worked fine.) At one point I remember pulling on that
thin rope that operates the light fixture, and it came right out. It
appeared to me that I couldn't "reattach" the rope and so I decided to
replace the switch. But before doing that I tested the power at the dimmer
switch, and it appeared that the dimmer switch went out, which may have
explained the "good" bulbs not working.

So, I replace the light fixture switch. It's a small black switch with two
leads. I am pretty sure that I reassambled the fan/lights everything
EXACTLY in the reverse order in which I disassembled it. It was pretty
straight forward because all the white leads were congregated in one wire
connector and all the black leads in the other wire connector. (Question:
does it matter if I had reversed the connection of the two leads on the
switch that I replaced?)

Then I replaced the dimmer switch (single pole) and connect the three leads
coming out of the wall in the EXACT same way in which they were connected to
the old dimmer switch. The lights in my kitchen worked, but the lights that
lead to the basement and the garage lights DIDN'T work. They are obviously
operated by different switches, but they are in the same circuit,
apparently. There was no power at these other locations. I checked all the
breakers, and they are fine; however, kitchen, basement and garage all use
the same circuit breaker.

The leads coming out of the wall in the kitchen are all the same color, so I
didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that with a
volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results, other than
there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six combinations (i.e. three
leads going to three different terminals in the switch).

PROBLEM:
Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I get (1) no
lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights only in the
basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.

When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I connect these
three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.

I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for any help you may
be able to provide.

Regards,

Elena Sofia Ricci

RBM

First, if you control the lights on the fan by a dimmer, you could have
removed the pull chain switch altogether and just spliced those wires
together. reversing the two wires on the pull chain switch would not matter.
Second, you replaced the dimmer switch,(single pole) and connected the three
leads the same- single pole devices have only two wires so I'm assuming the
third wire is green and you attached to a ground connection. Is there a
separate switch that controls the "fan" or does it just work off a pull
chain switch? I've got to many questions to give you any clear answers,
however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires connected together
which bring the "hot" to these other places. One side of your dimmer should
attach to this group of wires. Then you should have a single wire which goes
to the light and should attach that to your other dimmer lead. hth, Roy
"Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Elena Sofia Ricci

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| First, if you control the lights on the fan by a dimmer, you could have
| removed the pull chain switch altogether and just spliced those wires
| together. reversing the two wires on the pull chain switch would not
matter.

Ok. Thanks.

| Second, you replaced the dimmer switch,(single pole) and connected the
three
| leads the same- single pole devices have only two wires so I'm assuming
the
| third wire is green and you attached to a ground connection.

Correct.

| Is there a separate switch that controls the "fan" or does it just work
off a pull
| chain switch?

There is a separate switch that controls the fan.

| I've got to many questions to give you any clear answers,
however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires connected together
| which bring the "hot" to these other places.

Inside the box I see lots of wires bunched together that go other places.

| One side of your dimmer should attach to this group of wires.

Well, eventually out of this "nest" of wires, three leads come out that
formerly attached to the old dimmer switch.

Then you should have a single wire which goes
| to the light and should attach that to your other dimmer lead. hth, Roy

At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I mentioned earlier: no
light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light only. I get
this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why wouldn't it be
the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything wrong whe I
reassambled the fan?

Thanks.

Elena Sofia Ricci

> [...]
so
| didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that with a
| volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results, other than
| there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six combinations (i.e.
| three
| leads going to three different terminals in the switch).
|
| PROBLEM:
| Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I get (1)
no
| lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights only in
the
| basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.
|
| When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I connect
| these
| three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.
|
| I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for any help you

RBM

I don't think the problem is on the fan end. Where is this switch for the
fan? What happens if you connect all these wires in the switchbox together?
> [...]

| didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that with a
| volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results, other
than
| there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six combinations (i.e.
| three
| leads going to three different terminals in the switch).
|
| PROBLEM:
| Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I get (1)
no
| lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights only in
the
| basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.
|
| When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I connect
| these
| three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.
|
| I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for any help

Elena Sofia Ricci

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
|I don't think the problem is on the fan end. Where is this switch for the
| fan?

The switch for the fan is nearby, but in an entirely different box.

What happens if you connect all these wires in the switchbox together?

All the lights go on! How do I make this happen when I connect the wires to
the switch? Mind you that these wires are all the same color, so I need
some guidance. Thanks.

We are getting there ...

| "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
|
| "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | First, if you control the lights on the fan by a dimmer, you could
have
| | removed the pull chain switch altogether and just spliced those wires
| | together. reversing the two wires on the pull chain switch would not
| matter.
|
| Ok. Thanks.
|
| | Second, you replaced the dimmer switch,(single pole) and connected the
| three
| | leads the same- single pole devices have only two wires so I'm
assuming
| the
| | third wire is green and you attached to a ground connection.
|
| Correct.
|
| | Is there a separate switch that controls the "fan" or does it just
work
| off a pull
| | chain switch?
|
| There is a separate switch that controls the fan.
|
| | I've got to many questions to give you any clear answers,
| however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires connected
| together
| | which bring the "hot" to these other places.
|
| Inside the box I see lots of wires bunched together that go other
places.

| | One side of your dimmer should attach to this group of wires.
|
| Well, eventually out of this "nest" of wires, three leads come out that
| formerly attached to the old dimmer switch.
|
| Then you should have a single wire which goes
| | to the light and should attach that to your other dimmer lead. hth,
Roy

| At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I mentioned earlier:
| no
| light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light only. I get
| this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why wouldn't it
be
| the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything wrong whe
| reassambled the fan?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Elena Sofia Ricci
|

| | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | m...
| | Sorry for the length, but I don't know how else to explain it. If
you
| can
| | help, I would be very grateful.
| |
| | Background:
| |
| | The light bulbs on my kitchen fan kept blowing, one by one, and
| eventually
| | none worked, not even those that I KNOW didn't blow. (I had tested
| them
| | elsewhere, and they worked fine.) At one point I remember pulling
on
| that
| | thin rope that operates the light fixture, and it came right out.
It
| | appeared to me that I couldn't "reattach" the rope and so I decided
| | replace the switch. But before doing that I tested the power at the
| | dimmer
| | switch, and it appeared that the dimmer switch went out, which may
| have
| | explained the "good" bulbs not working.
| |
| | So, I replace the light fixture switch. It's a small black switch
| with
| | two
| | leads. I am pretty sure that I reassambled the fan/lights
everything
| | EXACTLY in the reverse order in which I disassembled it. It was
| pretty
| | straight forward because all the white leads were congregated in one
| wire
| | connector and all the black leads in the other wire connector.
| (Question:
| | does it matter if I had reversed the connection of the two leads on
| the
| | switch that I replaced?)
| |
| | Then I replaced the dimmer switch (single pole) and connect the
three
| | leads
| | coming out of the wall in the EXACT same way in which they were
| connected
| | the old dimmer switch. The lights in my kitchen worked, but the
| lights
| | that
| | lead to the basement and the garage lights DIDN'T work. They are
| | obviously
| | operated by different switches, but they are in the same circuit,
| | apparently. There was no power at these other locations. I checked
| all
| | the
| | breakers, and they are fine; however, kitchen, basement and garage
all
| use
| | the same circuit breaker.
| |
| | The leads coming out of the wall in the kitchen are all the same
| color,
| so
| | didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that with a
| | volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results, other
| than
| | there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six combinations
(i.e.
| | three
| | leads going to three different terminals in the switch).
| |
| | PROBLEM:
| | Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I get
(1)
| no
| | lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights only
in
| the
| | basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.
| |
| | When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I
connect
| | these
| | three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.
| |
| | I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for any help
| you
| | may
| | be able to provide.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Elena Sofia Ricci
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

RBM

The more you understand, the easier it gets. One of those three wires is
power coming in. Another is going out to someplace else. those two must be
connected together. The third wire is going to your fan lights. once you've
figured out which is which you connect one wire from your dimmer to the wire
going to the fan lights, and the other wire from your dimmer to the two
wires that are spliced together.
> [...]

| Then you should have a single wire which goes
| | to the light and should attach that to your other dimmer lead. hth,
Roy

| At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I mentioned
earlier:
| no
| light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light only. I
get
| this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why wouldn't it
be
| the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything wrong
whe
| reassambled the fan?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Elena Sofia Ricci
|

| | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | m...
| | Sorry for the length, but I don't know how else to explain it. If
| |
| | The light bulbs on my kitchen fan kept blowing, one by one, and
| eventually
| | none worked, not even those that I KNOW didn't blow. (I had
tested
| them
| | elsewhere, and they worked fine.) At one point I remember pulling
on
| that
| | thin rope that operates the light fixture, and it came right out.
It
| | appeared to me that I couldn't "reattach" the rope and so I
decided
| | replace the switch. But before doing that I tested the power at
the
| | dimmer
| | switch, and it appeared that the dimmer switch went out, which may
| have
| | explained the "good" bulbs not working.
| |
| | So, I replace the light fixture switch. It's a small black switch
| with
| | two
| | leads. I am pretty sure that I reassambled the fan/lights
everything
| | EXACTLY in the reverse order in which I disassembled it. It was
| pretty
| | straight forward because all the white leads were congregated in
one
| wire
| | connector and all the black leads in the other wire connector.
| (Question:
| | does it matter if I had reversed the connection of the two leads
on
| the
| | switch that I replaced?)
| |
| | Then I replaced the dimmer switch (single pole) and connect the
three
| | leads
| | coming out of the wall in the EXACT same way in which they were
| connected
| | the old dimmer switch. The lights in my kitchen worked, but the
| lights
| | that
| | lead to the basement and the garage lights DIDN'T work. They are
| | obviously
| | operated by different switches, but they are in the same circuit,
| | apparently. There was no power at these other locations. I
checked
| all
| | the
| | breakers, and they are fine; however, kitchen, basement and garage
all
| use
| | the same circuit breaker.
| |
| | The leads coming out of the wall in the kitchen are all the same
| color,
| so
| | didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that with
| | volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results,
other
| than
| | there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six combinations
(i.e.
| | three
| | leads going to three different terminals in the switch).
| |
| | PROBLEM:
| | Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I get
(1)
| no
| | lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights
only
in
| the
| | basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.
| |
| | When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I
connect
| | these
| | three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.
| |
| | I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for any
help
| you
| | may
| | be able to provide.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Elena Sofia Ricci
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Elena Sofia Ricci

All right, I tried it and there is one wire in particular that connected to
either other wire will make everything work.

However, there is nothing going to the ground terminal. Is this okay?

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| The more you understand, the easier it gets. One of those three wires is
| power coming in. Another is going out to someplace else. those two must be
| connected together. The third wire is going to your fan lights. once
you've
| figured out which is which you connect one wire from your dimmer to the
wire
| going to the fan lights, and the other wire from your dimmer to the two
| wires that are spliced together.
| "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| m...
|
| "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| |I don't think the problem is on the fan end. Where is this switch for
the
| | fan?
|
| The switch for the fan is nearby, but in an entirely different box.
|

| What happens if you connect all these wires in the switchbox together?
|
| All the lights go on! How do I make this happen when I connect the
wires
| the switch? Mind you that these wires are all the same color, so I need
| some guidance. Thanks.
|
| We are getting there ...
|

| | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| |
| | "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | | First, if you control the lights on the fan by a dimmer, you could
| have
| | | removed the pull chain switch altogether and just spliced those
| wires
| | | together. reversing the two wires on the pull chain switch would
not
| | matter.
| |
| | Ok. Thanks.
| |
| | | Second, you replaced the dimmer switch,(single pole) and connected
| the
| | three
| | | leads the same- single pole devices have only two wires so I'm
| assuming
| | the
| | | third wire is green and you attached to a ground connection.
| |
| | Correct.
| |
| | | Is there a separate switch that controls the "fan" or does it just
| work
| | off a pull
| | | chain switch?
| |
| | There is a separate switch that controls the fan.
| |
| | | I've got to many questions to give you any clear answers,
| | however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires connected
| | together
| | | which bring the "hot" to these other places.
| |
| | Inside the box I see lots of wires bunched together that go other
| places.
| |
| |
| | | One side of your dimmer should attach to this group of wires.
| |
| | Well, eventually out of this "nest" of wires, three leads come out
| that
| | formerly attached to the old dimmer switch.
| |
| | Then you should have a single wire which goes
| | | to the light and should attach that to your other dimmer lead.
hth,
| Roy
| |
| | At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I mentioned
| earlier:
| | no
| | light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light only. I
| get
| | this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why wouldn't
it
| be
| | the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything wrong
| whe
| | reassambled the fan?
| |
| | Thanks.
| |
| | Elena Sofia Ricci
| |
| |
| | | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | | m...
| | | Sorry for the length, but I don't know how else to explain it.
If
| you
| | can
| | | help, I would be very grateful.
| | |
| | | Background:
| | |
| | | The light bulbs on my kitchen fan kept blowing, one by one, and
| | eventually
| | | none worked, not even those that I KNOW didn't blow. (I had
| tested
| | them
| | | elsewhere, and they worked fine.) At one point I remember
pulling
| on
| | that
| | | thin rope that operates the light fixture, and it came right
out.
| It
| | | appeared to me that I couldn't "reattach" the rope and so I
| decided
| | | replace the switch. But before doing that I tested the power at
| the
| | | dimmer
| | | switch, and it appeared that the dimmer switch went out, which
may
| | have
| | | explained the "good" bulbs not working.
| | |
| | | So, I replace the light fixture switch. It's a small black
switch
| | with
| | | two
| | | leads. I am pretty sure that I reassambled the fan/lights
| everything
| | | EXACTLY in the reverse order in which I disassembled it. It was
| | pretty
| | | straight forward because all the white leads were congregated in
| one
| | wire
| | | connector and all the black leads in the other wire connector.
| | (Question:
| | | does it matter if I had reversed the connection of the two leads
| on
| | the
| | | switch that I replaced?)
| | |
| | | Then I replaced the dimmer switch (single pole) and connect the
| three
| | | leads
| | | coming out of the wall in the EXACT same way in which they were
| | connected
| | | the old dimmer switch. The lights in my kitchen worked, but the
| | lights
| | | that
| | | lead to the basement and the garage lights DIDN'T work. They
are
| | | obviously
| | | operated by different switches, but they are in the same
circuit,
| | | apparently. There was no power at these other locations. I
| checked
| | all
| | | the
| | | breakers, and they are fine; however, kitchen, basement and
garage
| all
| | use
| | | the same circuit breaker.
| | |
| | | The leads coming out of the wall in the kitchen are all the same
| | color,
| | so
| | | didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that
with
| | | volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results,
| other
| | than
| | | there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six combinations
| (i.e.
| | | three
| | | leads going to three different terminals in the switch).
| | |
| | | PROBLEM:
| | | Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I
get
| (1)
| | no
| | | lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights
| only
| in
| | the
| | | basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.
| | |
| | | When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I
| connect
| | | these
| | | three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.
| | |
| | | I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for any
| help
| | you
| | | may
| | | be able to provide.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Elena Sofia Ricci
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

RBM

If it is a metal box, the screws will ground the dimmer. Try this: connect
the three wires together, then by removing one from the group, find the one
that makes the fan-light go out, and only the fan-light. Then splice the
other two together. Then connect the dimmer like I previously described
"Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
All right, I tried it and there is one wire in particular that connected
either other wire will make everything work.

However, there is nothing going to the ground terminal. Is this okay?

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| The more you understand, the easier it gets. One of those three wires is
| power coming in. Another is going out to someplace else. those two must
be
| connected together. The third wire is going to your fan lights. once
you've
| figured out which is which you connect one wire from your dimmer to the
wire
| going to the fan lights, and the other wire from your dimmer to the two
| wires that are spliced together.
| "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| m...
|
| "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| |I don't think the problem is on the fan end. Where is this switch for
the
| | fan?
|
| The switch for the fan is nearby, but in an entirely different box.
|

| What happens if you connect all these wires in the switchbox together?
|
| All the lights go on! How do I make this happen when I connect the
wires
| the switch? Mind you that these wires are all the same color, so I
need
| some guidance. Thanks.
|
| We are getting there ...
|

| | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| |
| | "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | | First, if you control the lights on the fan by a dimmer, you
could
| have
| | | removed the pull chain switch altogether and just spliced those
| wires
| | | together. reversing the two wires on the pull chain switch would
not
| | matter.
| |
| | Ok. Thanks.
| |
| | | Second, you replaced the dimmer switch,(single pole) and
connected
| the
| | three
| | | leads the same- single pole devices have only two wires so I'm
| assuming
| | the
| | | third wire is green and you attached to a ground connection.
| |
| | Correct.
| |
| | | Is there a separate switch that controls the "fan" or does it
just
| work
| | off a pull
| | | chain switch?
| |
| | There is a separate switch that controls the fan.
| |
| | | I've got to many questions to give you any clear answers,
| | however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires
connected
| | together
| | | which bring the "hot" to these other places.
| |
| | Inside the box I see lots of wires bunched together that go other
| places.
| |
| |
| | | One side of your dimmer should attach to this group of wires.
| |
| | Well, eventually out of this "nest" of wires, three leads come out
| that
| | formerly attached to the old dimmer switch.
| |
| | Then you should have a single wire which goes
| | | to the light and should attach that to your other dimmer lead.
hth,
| Roy
| |
| | At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I mentioned
| earlier:
| | no
| | light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light only.
| get
| | this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why
wouldn't
it
| be
| | the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything
wrong
| whe
| | reassambled the fan?
| |
| | Thanks.
| |
| | Elena Sofia Ricci
| |
| |
| | | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | | m...
| | | Sorry for the length, but I don't know how else to explain it.
If
| you
| | can
| | | help, I would be very grateful.
| | |
| | | Background:
| | |
| | | The light bulbs on my kitchen fan kept blowing, one by one,
and
| | eventually
| | | none worked, not even those that I KNOW didn't blow. (I had
| tested
| | them
| | | elsewhere, and they worked fine.) At one point I remember
pulling
| on
| | that
| | | thin rope that operates the light fixture, and it came right
out.
| It
| | | appeared to me that I couldn't "reattach" the rope and so I
| decided
| | | replace the switch. But before doing that I tested the power
at
| the
| | | dimmer
| | | switch, and it appeared that the dimmer switch went out, which
may
| | have
| | | explained the "good" bulbs not working.
| | |
| | | So, I replace the light fixture switch. It's a small black
switch
| | with
| | | two
| | | leads. I am pretty sure that I reassambled the fan/lights
| everything
| | | EXACTLY in the reverse order in which I disassembled it. It
was
| | pretty
| | | straight forward because all the white leads were congregated
in
| one
| | wire
| | | connector and all the black leads in the other wire connector.
| | (Question:
| | | does it matter if I had reversed the connection of the two
leads
| on
| | the
| | | switch that I replaced?)
| | |
| | | Then I replaced the dimmer switch (single pole) and connect
the
| three
| | | leads
| | | coming out of the wall in the EXACT same way in which they
were
| | connected
| | | the old dimmer switch. The lights in my kitchen worked, but
the
| | lights
| | | that
| | | lead to the basement and the garage lights DIDN'T work. They
are
| | | obviously
| | | operated by different switches, but they are in the same
circuit,
| | | apparently. There was no power at these other locations. I
| checked
| | all
| | | the
| | | breakers, and they are fine; however, kitchen, basement and
garage
| all
| | use
| | | the same circuit breaker.
| | |
| | | The leads coming out of the wall in the kitchen are all the
same
| | color,
| | so
| | | didn't know what's what (though I could have determined that
with
| | | volt-meter, but I wouldn't know how to interpret the results,
| other
| | than
| | | there is juice or there isn't). So I tried all six
combinations
| (i.e.
| | | three
| | | leads going to three different terminals in the switch).
| | |
| | | PROBLEM:
| | | Depending on the combination in which I make my connections, I
get
| (1)
| | no
| | | lights anywhere, (2) lights only in the kitchen; or (3) lights
| only
| in
| | the
| | | basement/garage but kitchen switch must be on.
| | |
| | | When I remove the switch altogether, I get the same thing if I
| connect
| | | these
| | | three leads to each other, leaving one not connected.
| | |
| | | I am not sure if I explained my self correctly. Thanks for
any
| help
| | you
| | | may
| | | be able to provide.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Elena Sofia Ricci
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Elena Sofia Ricci

Finally! It works now. The old dimmer must have been wired differently.

Thanks for your patience and your nearly-in-real-time help.

ESR

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| If it is a metal box, the screws will ground the dimmer. Try this: connect
| the three wires together, then by removing one from the group, find the
one
| that makes the fan-light go out, and only the fan-light. Then splice the
| other two together. Then connect the dimmer like I previously described
| "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| All right, I tried it and there is one wire in particular that connected
| either other wire will make everything work.
|
| However, there is nothing going to the ground terminal. Is this okay?
|
| "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | The more you understand, the easier it gets. One of those three wires
is
| | power coming in. Another is going out to someplace else. those two
must
| be
| | connected together. The third wire is going to your fan lights. once
| you've
| | figured out which is which you connect one wire from your dimmer to
the
| wire
| | going to the fan lights, and the other wire from your dimmer to the
two
| | wires that are spliced together.
| | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | m...
| |
| | "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | |I don't think the problem is on the fan end. Where is this switch
for
| the
| | | fan?
| |
| | The switch for the fan is nearby, but in an entirely different box.
| |
| |
| |
| | What happens if you connect all these wires in the switchbox
together?
| |
| | All the lights go on! How do I make this happen when I connect the
| wires
| | the switch? Mind you that these wires are all the same color, so I
| need
| | some guidance. Thanks.
| |
| | We are getting there ...
| |
| |
| | | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | |
| could
| | have
| | wires
| not
| | | matter.
| | |
| | | Ok. Thanks.
| | |
| connected
| | the
| | | three
| | assuming
| | | the
| | |
| | | Correct.
| | |
| just
| | work
| | | off a pull
| | |
| | | There is a separate switch that controls the fan.
| | |
| | | however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires
| connected
| | | together
| | |
| | | Inside the box I see lots of wires bunched together that go
other
| | places.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Well, eventually out of this "nest" of wires, three leads come
out
| | that
| | | formerly attached to the old dimmer switch.
| | |
| | | Then you should have a single wire which goes
| hth,
| | Roy
| | |
| | | At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I mentioned
| | earlier:
| | | no
| | | light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light
only.
| | get
| | | this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why
| wouldn't
| it
| | be
| | | the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything
| wrong
| | whe
| | | reassambled the fan?
| | |
| | | Thanks.
| | |
| | | Elena Sofia Ricci
| | |
| | |
| If
| | you
| | | can
| | | |
| | | |
| and
| | | eventually
| | tested
| | | them
| pulling
| | on
| | | that
| out.
| | It
| | decided
| at
| | the
| may
| | | have
| | | |
| switch
| | | with
| | everything
| was
| | | pretty
congregated
| in
| | one
| | | wire
connector.
| | | (Question:
| leads
| | on
| | | the
| | | |
| the
| | three
| were
| | | connected
| the
| | | lights
They
| are
| circuit,
| | checked
| | | all
| garage
| | all
| | | use
| | | |
| same
| | | color,
| | | so
| with
| | other
| | | than
| combinations
| | (i.e.
| | | |
| get
| | (1)
| | | no
lights
| | only
| | in
| | | the
| | | |
| | connect
| | | |
| any
| | help
| | | you
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

RBM

My pleasure-you're hired
"Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
Finally! It works now. The old dimmer must have been wired differently.

Thanks for your patience and your nearly-in-real-time help.

ESR

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| If it is a metal box, the screws will ground the dimmer. Try this:
connect
| the three wires together, then by removing one from the group, find the
one
| that makes the fan-light go out, and only the fan-light. Then splice the
| other two together. Then connect the dimmer like I previously described
| "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| All right, I tried it and there is one wire in particular that
connected
| either other wire will make everything work.
|
| However, there is nothing going to the ground terminal. Is this okay?
|
| "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | The more you understand, the easier it gets. One of those three
wires
is
| | power coming in. Another is going out to someplace else. those two
must
| be
| | connected together. The third wire is going to your fan lights. once
| you've
| | figured out which is which you connect one wire from your dimmer to
the
| wire
| | going to the fan lights, and the other wire from your dimmer to the
two
| | wires that are spliced together.
| | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | m...
| |
| | "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
| | |I don't think the problem is on the fan end. Where is this switch
for
| the
| | | fan?
| |
| | The switch for the fan is nearby, but in an entirely different
box.
| |
| |
| |
| | What happens if you connect all these wires in the switchbox
together?
| |
| | All the lights go on! How do I make this happen when I connect
the
| wires
| | the switch? Mind you that these wires are all the same color, so
| need
| | some guidance. Thanks.
| |
| | We are getting there ...
| |
| |
| | | "Elena Sofia Ricci" wrote in message
| | |
| could
| | have
| | wires
| not
| | | matter.
| | |
| | | Ok. Thanks.
| | |
| connected
| | the
| | | three
I'm
| | assuming
| | | the
| | |
| | | Correct.
| | |
| just
| | work
| | | off a pull
| | |
| | | There is a separate switch that controls the fan.
| | |
| | | however, in your dimmer box you should have several wires
| connected
| | | together
| | |
| | | Inside the box I see lots of wires bunched together that go
other
| | places.
| | |
| | |
wires.
| | |
| | | Well, eventually out of this "nest" of wires, three leads come
out
| | that
| | | formerly attached to the old dimmer switch.
| | |
| | | Then you should have a single wire which goes
| hth,
| | Roy
| | |
| | | At the end, I am still with the 3 combinations that I
mentioned
| | earlier:
| | | no
| | | light anywhere, kitche light only, or basement/garage light
only.
| | get
| | | this even if I remove the switch altogether. By why? Why
| wouldn't
| it
| | be
| | | the same as when I first started? Could I have done anything
| wrong
| | whe
| | | reassambled the fan?
| | |