Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dimmer switch headscratching

Steve P wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up and
want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is dimmable). The
issue is that there are three light switches controlling the light, and
no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was thinking about putting
a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately before the transformer,
efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do this? All help much
appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Even if you do fit dimmers, the whole thing wont work so well. A dimer
on one switch position is just a pain, and dimmed halogens fail
prematurely and are even more energy inefficient than full voltage
halogens.

Why not fit bulbs that will give you a light a bit on the soft side,
then add other unobtrusive CFL lights elsewhere to bring the level up.
Then you can switch dim the room, you get no loss of efficiency, youve
got better energy efficiency with the CFLs, and still the look of
halos.

NT