Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who owns my Electricity Meter?

Hi

The bloke from Central Networks (the local electricity network company)
says my electricity supplier owns my meter. If so, I suppose I give it
to who I like by swithcing supplier? I need to move it as the room it's
in is to be demolished. I'd like to find out who owns it first so I can
ask their permission.

LGF

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hzatph

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

The bloke from Central Networks (the local electricity network company)
says my electricity supplier owns my meter. If so, I suppose I give it
to who I like by swithcing supplier? I need to move it as the room it's
in is to be demolished. I'd like to find out who owns it first so I can
ask their permission.

LGF

You need to talk to your electricity supplier, but in my experience this can
be a painful process as you are switched between your supplier and local
network company. The chances are that the latter will do the work in the end
for you. They will arrange for the meter to be moved on a date you agree
with them (at your cost) and then you will need to arrange for an
electrician to connect it back to your consumer unit. Round here they need
to be quite close. 3m being the maximum distance, but they will probably
send someone round to assess the job first so you can agree it all with
them. They were very helpful with us once we had got the right department.
They will also probably want the meter to be on the outside of the house -
for H&S reasons they don't put them under stairs or high up (or low down) in
a convenient corner these days.

You need to check the depth at which you are burying the conduit - we were
asked for more than the 500mm of your previous post.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was worried it was all going to get a bit confusing! Central Networks
only require 450mm depth below gardens/paths for LV cable. I've told
them that the wall the meter is going on will be an outside wall
eventually, which they seem happy about.

Cheers

LGF

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

The bloke from Central Networks (the local electricity network company)
says my electricity supplier owns my meter. If so, I suppose I give it
to who I like by swithcing supplier? I need to move it as the room it's
in is to be demolished. I'd like to find out who owns it first so I can
ask their permission.

I`ve covered this a couple of times previously, but the old "electric
company" is now in effect 3 seperate companies, two of which are not
allowed under government regulatory rules to talk to each other.

If the cutout (cable head in some parlance) is in the bit that is
going to be demolished it will need to be moved. It *will* cost.

The people who move it are the owners of the mains cable network (aka
the old REC / regional electricity company, or whoever bought them
out)

As part of the move, you may be asked to nominate a supplier (the
people you`re going to pay your bill to)

The *supplier* nominates who they want to be the Meter Operator (MOP)
- which is often the metering department of the REC as it used to be.

As you`re dealing with different companies, expect different
timescales, and the work to *may not* be contigious i.e. on a brand
new supply, the customer has to contact their supplier to arrange for
a meter to be fitted *after* its been made live to the cutout, whereas
an existing service will probably have the meter moved to the "new"
position without any hassle by the same team who move the incoming
service.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually I posed this question to the bloke from Central Networks - my
"supplier" the ones who own the cables and manage the electricity
supply, when he visited recently. He said my "supplier" owned the
meter, not Central Networks. When I pointed out that I could change
"supplier", he decided that things have gotten a bit confusing since
privatisation and he hadn't a clue. Hence my question..

The incomming feed is definately being moved - the pre-war (according
to the CN guy) overhead power lines are being replaced with discrete
underground cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the information! Hopefully I can get Central Networks to
move the meter. I'm going to have to get some rewiring done asap. I've
just counted 26 wires comming out of my fuse box (12 fuses). There is
also a more modern looking box with 2 MCBs, with "Data Only" stickers
on them. Come to think of it there are some sockets in the house with
the same stickers. If CN see the wiring mess in this place, I couldn't
complain if they refused to reconnect.

LGF

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

If CN see the wiring mess in this place, I couldn't complain if they
refused to reconnect.

If my understanding of common practice holds throughout the country,
you may find you get an isolator fitted, and its up to you to get
someone to connect your side of the installation.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks again!

LGF

A meter for measuring electricity Perry Templeton Home Repair 5 January 3rd 05 04:57 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM
Electricity Meter rating Sparks UK diy 9 September 28th 04 09:09 PM
Electricity Meter Scott UK diy 13 August 4th 04 06:55 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 08:06 PM