Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hzatph

Default Who owns my Electricity Meter?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

The bloke from Central Networks (the local electricity network company)
says my electricity supplier owns my meter. If so, I suppose I give it
to who I like by swithcing supplier? I need to move it as the room it's
in is to be demolished. I'd like to find out who owns it first so I can
ask their permission.

LGF

You need to talk to your electricity supplier, but in my experience this can
be a painful process as you are switched between your supplier and local
network company. The chances are that the latter will do the work in the end
for you. They will arrange for the meter to be moved on a date you agree
with them (at your cost) and then you will need to arrange for an
electrician to connect it back to your consumer unit. Round here they need
to be quite close. 3m being the maximum distance, but they will probably
send someone round to assess the job first so you can agree it all with
them. They were very helpful with us once we had got the right department.
They will also probably want the meter to be on the outside of the house -
for H&S reasons they don't put them under stairs or high up (or low down) in
a convenient corner these days.

You need to check the depth at which you are burying the conduit - we were
asked for more than the 500mm of your previous post.

HTH