Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Default Who owns my Electricity Meter?

The bloke from Central Networks (the local electricity network company)
says my electricity supplier owns my meter. If so, I suppose I give it
to who I like by swithcing supplier? I need to move it as the room it's
in is to be demolished. I'd like to find out who owns it first so I can
ask their permission.

I`ve covered this a couple of times previously, but the old "electric
company" is now in effect 3 seperate companies, two of which are not
allowed under government regulatory rules to talk to each other.

If the cutout (cable head in some parlance) is in the bit that is
going to be demolished it will need to be moved. It *will* cost.

The people who move it are the owners of the mains cable network (aka
the old REC / regional electricity company, or whoever bought them
out)

As part of the move, you may be asked to nominate a supplier (the
people you`re going to pay your bill to)

The *supplier* nominates who they want to be the Meter Operator (MOP)
- which is often the metering department of the REC as it used to be.

As you`re dealing with different companies, expect different
timescales, and the work to *may not* be contigious i.e. on a brand
new supply, the customer has to contact their supplier to arrange for
a meter to be fitted *after* its been made live to the cutout, whereas
an existing service will probably have the meter moved to the "new"
position without any hassle by the same team who move the incoming
service.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****