Junior Member

Smile Best buys at Lidl

So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?
Senior Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part P Avoider
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?
What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t from this rubbish shop?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Convery

Default Best buys at Lidl

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

Not all cheap **** is crap. Maybe they don't have £100's to spend when they
need a tool. OK if you are a big DIYer but if you only do the odd job why
spend so much on something you will only use a couple time.

My drill is just about dieing after 8.5 years of occasional use - cost
£14.99. Hmm do I spend £50/100 on a branded dewalt etc corded drill or go
for another cheap one. A cheap one it is for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Part P Avoider" wrote in message

So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

No DIY deals. They have specials, and as its near Xmas it is all Xmas
stuff. Aldi have some in. I saw Rotothingy for £10, a reciprocating saw
for £15 and other stuff too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

The point is that the stuff is not generally s**t. It is on specials, so
cheap. The good deals will sell out within hours. The Aldi and Lidl SDS
drills are superb value for £25 - when the special is on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Cordless Crazy

If it works fine and does the job you need of it, why not? Just because
the stuff is cheap doesn't mean it's ****.

I bought one of the Lidl circular saws (same as the one sold at Aldi)
and it's been great so far. Plenty of power, quick cutting and jamming.
I thought the laser guide was a gimmick but it does actually work!
Instead of focusing on the blade I now just focus on the laser and get
a decent cut.

Just to add a little story. I was working at mate's place and he had
this tradesman in laying laminate flooring for him. The guy had a full
kit of shiny new DeWalt tools and I could see him sneering at my mixed
bag of cheapo brands.
After seeing the cutting work he had done with his DeWalt jigsaw it was
me who had the last laugh. Even a blind man with an axe would have made
better cuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Part P Avoider wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

They haven't had many tools for a while, AFAIR, and none that I need!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Cordless Crazy wrote:
Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

Dunno, I've never done that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
Cordless Crazy wrote:
Part P Avoider Wrote:
[...]

But the Jiggy doesn't do the sawing it's the blade and a shoddy
workman. :-P
--

That's the point I was making, having an expensive tool doesn't
automatically make you skillful.

No, the point is he's doing it for a living so therefor he can be selective
in the tools he buys because a few jobs will pay for that tool and its
uneconomical to buy cheap tools if you use them on a daily basis.

p.s cutting laminate at the ends does not have to be straight as this will
be hidden. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
he's doing it for a living so therefor he can be selective
in the tools he buys because a few jobs will pay for that tool and its
uneconomical to buy cheap tools if you use them on a daily basis.

Why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
Cordless Crazy wrote:
Part P Avoider Wrote:
[...]

That's irrelevant to my post and the point I was making. But are you
referring to cheap as in quality or price?

p.s cutting laminate at the ends does not have to be straight as this will
be hidden. :-)

It doesn't have to precise, of course, but it should be relatively
straight. Leaving cuts with peaks without any room for expansion isn't
a proper job. This guy's work was atrocious.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:02:00 +0000, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a
tenner each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Part P Avoider wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems
everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

A pair of steel folding 'saw horses'. Heavy guage square section steel,
sturdy locking hinges, built like a brick outbuilding. £3:99 each.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a
tenner each.

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and
quality to Stanley: pliers, side cutters, strippers, gland pliers, long
nosed pliers. I went wild and spent less than £7. They are "very" good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"david lang" wrote in message
. ..
Part P Avoider wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems
everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

A pair of steel folding 'saw horses'. Heavy guage square section steel,
sturdy locking hinges, built like a brick outbuilding. £3:99 each.

Aldi: a reciprocating power saw. Very well made £15. SDS drill, £25 for a
relative. I wouldn't have minded keeping it myself; a Makita look-alike.
All 3 year guarantee and service backup with most of them. Lidl: Their
Parkside (German) circular lazer saw., £25. It is "very" good. I was
looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week. This was impressive. The quality
of the base was far better than many Bosch I have seen. The overall build
was excellent, £15.

Even if their are no specials on, they occasionally have some power tools
left over for sale, so worth a walk in if you are passing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:43:04 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and
quality to Stanley:

You mean dreadful rubbish ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and
quality to Stanley:

You mean dreadful rubbish ?

The Stanley versions were £9.99 each, while I bought the lot for under £7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

Not all cheap **** is crap. Maybe they don't have £100's to spend when they
need a tool. OK if you are a big DIYer but if you only do the odd job why
spend so much on something you will only use a couple time.

My drill is just about dieing after 8.5 years of occasional use - cost
£14.99. Hmm do I spend £50/100 on a branded dewalt etc corded drill or go
for another cheap one. A cheap one it is for me.

You're making the assumption that occasional use should equate with
cheap.

This ignores accuracy, ease of use, controllability, servicability and
outcome which are separate issues.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

The point is that the stuff is not generally s**t. It is on specials, so
cheap. The good deals will sell out within hours. The Aldi and Lidl SDS
drills are superb value for £25 - when the special is on.

- It's long term reliable in use?
- Ergonomically OK - i.e. can be used a lot without fingers going numb
from vibration?
- Service available?
- Spares available?
- Safe to use

No or question marks over all of the above...

It's ****.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:09:12 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
he's doing it for a living so therefor he can be selective
in the tools he buys because a few jobs will pay for that tool and its
uneconomical to buy cheap tools if you use them on a daily basis.

Why?

- Imprecision
- Unergonomic
- Unmaintainable
- Time wasting

etc,

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a
tenner each.

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and
quality to Stanley: pliers, side cutters, strippers, gland pliers, long
nosed pliers. I went wild and spent less than £7. They are "very" good.

Like Stanley?

Mwhahahhahahahahahaha

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:49:39 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"david lang" wrote in message
Part P Avoider wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems
everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

A pair of steel folding 'saw horses'. Heavy guage square section steel,
sturdy locking hinges, built like a brick outbuilding. £3:99 each.

Aldi: a reciprocating power saw. Very well made £15. SDS drill,

Not £10, not £5, £2. Just for you. Just today.

£25 for a
relative.

You'd sell you're granny?

I wouldn't have minded keeping it myself; a Makita look-alike.
All 3 year guarantee and service backup with most of them.

How? Who?

Lidl: Their
Parkside (German) circular lazer saw., £25. It is "very" good. I was
looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week. This was impressive. The quality
of the base was far better than many Bosch I have seen. The overall build
was excellent, £15.

Oh puhlease.

Even if their are no specials on, they occasionally have some power tools
left over for sale, so worth a walk in if you are passing.

Passing what? Wind or water?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems

everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

The point is that the stuff is not generally s**t. It is on specials, so
cheap. The good deals will sell out within hours. The Aldi and Lidl SDS
drills are superb value for £25 - when the special is on.

- It's long term reliable in use?

3 yr guarantees. Only 1 yr for your Makitas

- Ergonomically OK - i.e. can be used a lot without fingers going numb
from vibration?

As good as any other.

- Service available?

Yes.

- Spares available?

Yes.

- Safe to use

Yes.

No or question marks over all of the above...
It's ****.

No Nos or ? So, must be brill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a
tenner each.

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and
quality to Stanley: pliers, side cutters, strippers, gland pliers, long
nosed pliers. I went wild and spent less than £7. They are "very" good.

Like Stanley?

Mwhahahhahahahahahaha

Less than £7. The price of a few pints. I would be ****ed off if I spent
£70 and they failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

"david lang" wrote in message
Part P Avoider wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems
everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

A pair of steel folding 'saw horses'. Heavy guage square section

steel,
sturdy locking hinges, built like a brick outbuilding. £3:99 each.

Aldi: a reciprocating power saw. Very well made £15. SDS drill,

Not £10, not £5, £2. Just for you. Just today.

£25 for a
relative.

You'd sell you're granny?

Matt, you must learn to read.

I wouldn't have minded keeping it myself; a Makita look-alike.
All 3 year guarantee and service backup with most of them.

How? Who?

Yes.

Lidl: Their
Parkside (German) circular lazer saw., £25. It is "very" good. I was
looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week. This was impressive. The

quality
of the base was far better than many Bosch I have seen. The overall

build
was excellent, £15.

Oh puhlease.

Have a look, even a label whore like you would appreciate it.

Even if their are no specials on, they occasionally have some power tools
left over for sale, so worth a walk in if you are passing.

Passing what? Wind or water?

They don't have water wheels, but have a look.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

I was looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week.
This was impressive. The quality of the base was
far better than many Bosch I have seen.
The overall build was excellent, £15.

That must be why Bosch supply their tools in totally sealed boxes :-)

But I think I'll stick with my 140 quid Bosch and continue buying
carbide blades at over 10 quid for 3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

I was looking at the jig-saw in Aldi last week.
This was impressive. The quality of the base was
far better than many Bosch I have seen.
The overall build was excellent, £15.

That must be why Bosch supply their tools in totally sealed boxes :-)

But I think I'll stick with my 140 quid Bosch and continue buying
carbide blades at over 10 quid for 3.

Lord Hall, you must.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems
everyone who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

Yep, buy 250 tea bags for £1.25 and get 250 crap cups of tea...buy 250
tetley tea bags for £3.49 and get 750 nice cups of tea as each tea bag can
give 3 cups.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

So my saw horses can't be any good simply because they were cheap? They
happen to be extreemly well made.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

And what would be wrong with the food in these outlets? They operate in an
entirely different way to our major supermarkets, which reduces their costs
dramatically.

Simple snobbery is applied in the UK where the 'hard discounters' have less
than 4% of the market. In Europe they have nearly 20% of the market. Not
uncommon in Denmark to see a Lidl, Aldi or Netto car park full of Mercs,
BMW's & the like.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

All the people I know who shop in Lidls/Aldi make buying decisions based on
careful consideration of value for money. They all discuss, often in
irritating detail, whats worth buying and why, you only have to look on the
discount forums for comprehensive lists of what/what not to buy.

It is a scientific fact that snobs are incapable of making decisions on what
is/is not value for money. Their decisions are based on worries about what
their dickhead friends would say and have to put down the people with more
sense than money for their shopping habits.

We once had an associate round for dinner and after he had repeatedly
praised the "wonderful meal" conversation turned to shopping. He could not
understand why we were laughing at him when he said that the sort of people
who shop in Lidls wouldn't know what was good food :-)

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap
s**t from this rubbish shop?

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a
tenner each.

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in
looks and quality to Stanley: pliers, side cutters, strippers,
gland pliers, long nosed pliers. I went wild and spent less than
£7. They are "very" good.

Like Stanley?

Mwhahahhahahahahahaha

Less than £7. The price of a few pints. I would be ****ed off if I
spent £70 and they failed.

You hold a stocks share in Aldi/Lidl and I claim my £5
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Part P Avoider Wrote:
So whats everyones best DIY tool buy at Lidl lately as it seems

everyone
who reads these post loves buying cheap gear from them?

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

The point is that the stuff is not generally s**t. It is on specials, so
cheap. The good deals will sell out within hours. The Aldi and Lidl SDS
drills are superb value for £25 - when the special is on.

- It's long term reliable in use?

3 yr guarantees. Only 1 yr for your Makitas

Huh??? What on earth does a guarantee have to do with reliability?

It can mean one of several things:

- Manufacturer has quality product which will have a low return rate
and a long guarantee will have little financial impact

- Manufacturer has a crap product, made cheaply which sells in volume
and which punters won't bother to return, again having little
financial impact.

- Ergonomically OK - i.e. can be used a lot without fingers going numb
from vibration?

As good as any other.

Oh please.

- Service available?

Yes.

Where?

- Spares available?

Yes.

Where?

- Safe to use

Yes.

Never falls apart, catches fire,.....

Like the Ryobi products from last week......

No or question marks over all of the above...
It's ****.

No Nos or ? So, must be brill.

Ah I see....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

What is it with everyones fascination with buy bad quality cheap s**t
from this rubbish shop?

They don't (usually) sell rubbish though.

I recently stocked up with 2kg dry powder fire extinguishers for a
tenner each.

I was in LIdl and they has for 99p tools that were identical in looks and
quality to Stanley: pliers, side cutters, strippers, gland pliers, long
nosed pliers. I went wild and spent less than £7. They are "very" good.

Like Stanley?

Mwhahahhahahahahahaha

Less than £7. The price of a few pints. I would be ****ed off if I spent
£70 and they failed.

Quite. One needs to be a discerning buyer in all things. Buying
anything on price, be it tools or beer is a foolhardy enterprise.....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Henry
writes

[...]

You sound sad

... very sad

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:46:35 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

So my saw horses can't be any good simply because they were cheap? They
happen to be extreemly well made.

I didn't say that. A saw horse is hardly an object of complexity.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

And what would be wrong with the food in these outlets?

Poor quality rubbish thrown in boxes.

They operate in an
entirely different way to our major supermarkets, which reduces their costs
dramatically.

That's one way to put it.

Actually neither is a particularly attractive way in terms of quality
and presentation of food.

Simple snobbery is applied in the UK where the 'hard discounters' have less
than 4% of the market.

Snobbery really doesn't come into it. These discount outlets are not
typically located in areas with higher average income. That is the
choice of the suppliers - i.e. their strategy is to target customers
who are more price sensitive. Plainly it isn't working in the form
they are doing it. 96% of the market doesn't want to shop in this
way.

In Europe they have nearly 20% of the market.

We are in Europe last time I checked the map....

Not
uncommon in Denmark to see a Lidl, Aldi or Netto car park full of Mercs,
BMW's & the like.

Denmark is a different market to the UK. Sweden is different to
Denmark. In France, even in hypermarkets, one normally sees good
quality food, well presented.

It's a matter of what customers will accept in terms of price, quality
and presentation.

In the UK, the cheap-skate outlets have two of these wrong. That's
why they have 4% market share.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:48:31 -0000, "Henry"
Henryaintgonnatell.sunnysideup.com wrote:

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

All the people I know who shop in Lidls/Aldi make buying decisions based on
careful consideration of value for money. They all discuss, often in
irritating detail, whats worth buying and why, you only have to look on the
discount forums for comprehensive lists of what/what not to buy.

I'm glad that they have the time to waste on this nonsense.

It is a scientific fact that snobs are incapable of making decisions on what
is/is not value for money.

Scientific fact? That's a good one.....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"david lang" wrote in message
. ..
Andy Hall aka Matt wrote:

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

So my saw horses can't be any good simply because they were cheap? They
happen to be extreemly well made.

Snap-On tools are high quality with a lifetime guarantee. They are
horrendously expensive, like 3 times as everyone else for similar quality.
Other makes give lifetime guarantees too, at 1/3 of the price.

Makita only give 1 year, while even B&Qs PP Pro give 3, as do Lidl and Aldi.
If Makita were so good they would give 3 years. They would stand by their
products. Yes price can be a guarantee of quality, but you may also be
ripped off too.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

And what would be wrong with the food in these outlets? They operate in

an
entirely different way to our major supermarkets, which reduces their

costs
dramatically.

The quality is good, not tat. They don't take credit cards and the overheads
are low reflecting the low prices. You see stuff laid out on pallets. The
ranges are not comprehensive, like the main supermarkets.

Simple snobbery is applied in the UK where the 'hard discounters' have

less
than 4% of the market. In Europe they have nearly 20% of the market. Not
uncommon in Denmark to see a Lidl, Aldi or Netto car park full of Mercs,
BMW's & the like.

Yep. Most shop at these place for cheap basic foods you buy many of, and
then to the other supermarkets to fill in. There was a survey on buyers
attitudes. The British are petty snobs. One pillock on this list dismissed
Aldi because he said he saw some Pikies in there. Pathetic.

Lidl 29/09/05: 100pc 'Fine Tool' (Dremel -style) Set £2.99 Mathew Newton UK diy 10 September 26th 05 03:55 PM
Lidl table saw (from Mon. 22 Aug. 2005) Andy Mabbett UK diy 18 August 20th 05 08:30 AM
Lidl again! David Lang UK diy 35 July 28th 05 10:48 PM
Lidl Taps etc David Lang UK diy 35 July 19th 05 02:58 PM