Andy Mabbett

Default Lidl table saw (from Mon. 22 Aug. 2005)

Lidl have a table saw on sale (stores in the Midlands, Norfolk,
Lincolnshire, Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales,
Yorkshire and Humberside only) from Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...22.p.Table_Saw

for 89 GBP.

For occasional use, what do the panel think?

There are lots of other DIY items in that day's "specials", too:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...20050822.index
--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
Mr Fuxit

Apparently it has a "Die-cast table made from robust sheet steel". How
does that work, then?

Bogoff

Andy Mabbett wrote:
Lidl have a table saw on sale (stores in the Midlands, Norfolk,
Lincolnshire, Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales,
Yorkshire and Humberside only) from Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...22.p.Table_Saw

for 89 GBP.

For occasional use, what do the panel think?

There are lots of other DIY items in that day's "specials", too:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...20050822.index

And there a load of crap! tis ok for the novice DIY'er but accuracy and
construction goes out the window with this table saw.
Hmmm! £89 the other ones where £29.99 both look identical except for colour
and name plus that is 1800w the other was 1000w.

One bad part of its construction and this is the uttermost importent
part...its blade guard is absoluty atrocious and servers no purpose but
being an hindrance.
Rating : 4 out of 10

Andy Mabbett

In message , Bogoff
writes
the other ones where £29.99

What other ones?
--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
ben

Bogoff wrote:
Andy Mabbett wrote:
[...]

You gave it a rating? lol

Eric The Viking

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Lidl have a table saw on sale (stores in the Midlands, Norfolk,
Lincolnshire, Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales,
Yorkshire and Humberside only) from Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...22.p.Table_Saw

for 89 GBP.

For occasional use, what do the panel think?

There are lots of other DIY items in that day's "specials", too:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...20050822.index
--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/

Says it all at the top of the page - "Lidl is cheap!"

My main concern with this kind of stuff is not with accuracy or reliability,
but with safety.

On cheap saws, often the guards are of poor quality and get in the way
which leads to the temptation to remove them. Also blade alignment is
likely to be way out increasing the risk of kick-back. The riving knife (
if fitted ) will probably be made out of the same "Die cast sheet steel" as
the table and will probably cause more bind-ups and jams than it actually
stops.

A more expensive "name" saw will be more likely to be better made and have
better safety features.

Buy a Fisher-Price saw and you could be counting the savings on one hand -
literally.

If you go for it, get a pair of 10 foot long push sticks and you should be
Ok ;-)

Personally I'd spend the 90 quid on a decent circular saw.

ETV

ben

Andy Mabbett wrote:
In message , Bogoff
writes
the other ones where £29.99

What other ones?

lol I think he means at Aldi they have them for £30 but are identical to
Lidol's

Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:37:50 +0100, Andy Mabbett
wrote:

Lidl have a table saw on sale (stores in the Midlands, Norfolk,
Lincolnshire, Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales,
Yorkshire and Humberside only) from Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...22.p.Table_Saw

for 89 GBP.

For occasional use, what do the panel think?

It depends on what you had in mind to occasionally use it to do.

Pricing on portable table saws has come down and down over the last
couple of years, but quality has dropped a great deal as well.

This particular model is very limited because of the small size of the
table and the fact that there is no provision for extending it (at
least as far as the illustration shows.

It doesn't say which dimension is which, but appears that the 60.5cm
is the table width. The blade appears to be about in the middle, so
this means that the maximum cutting width against the fence is under
30cm. So you could rip along boards of less than this width, but
that's about it. The fence could be removed and the unit built into
something larger (a tablesaw station made from wood for example) to
enable larger pieces of material to be handled. It would be quite
dangerous to try to balance larger pieces on the table otherwise -
this is not going to be a heavy machine and will have a risk of
tipping.

The blade size of 210mm is fairly limiting.

Despite what the ad says, this is not going to be a precision product,
simply because the fences are too light and not well supported. You
can make improvements with after market fences (just been done) but
£50 on a £90 saw?

I think that you could do better than this product in three different
ways:

- At about the same price point Axminster do a saw with larger table
area (using detachable tables) - CCTS10 for £84.95. I doubt if the
precision will be any better in terms of the fence, but the extra
possible table area would make it a bit safer and give more working
area when needed. THere's a stand, but you don't have to use that.
Having a 250mm blade gives 80mm depth of cut.

- Go for a similar type of saw but one step up. Again from Axminster
there is the Jet JTS-10 at £150. I've seen this one and for the
money it's not bad. The main differences are that the tables are more
substantial and IIRC, the fence will run all the way along the
extension table which will mean the ripping width will be a lot more
if you want to cut sheet materials.

The next significant step up on table saws is to around £300 - 500 but
that's a different game at that point.

- If you mainly want to cut sheet materials, a viable option is to use
a circular saw and saw guide. You can get a very respectable circular
saw like the Skil for about the £80 price point and then either make a
guide with a batten or buy one like Axminster CE51.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

- If you mainly want to cut sheet materials, a viable option is to use
a circular saw and saw guide. You can get a very respectable circular
saw like the Skil for about the £80 price point and then either make a
guide with a batten or buy one like Axminster CE51.

Axminster have (or had) a deal on at present; a Skil circular saw, a Skil
SDS drill and a 4.8 volt Skil driver all for £99:99! You could do a lot
worse than that.

Dave

John Rumm

Andy Mabbett wrote:

Lidl have a table saw on sale (stores in the Midlands, Norfolk,
Lincolnshire, Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales,
Yorkshire and Humberside only) from Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...22.p.Table_Saw

for 89 GBP.

Makro are doing a better looking SIP one for 59+VAT at the mo...

--
Cheers,

John.

ben

John Rumm wrote:
Andy Mabbett wrote:

Lidl have a table saw on sale (stores in the Midlands, Norfolk,
Lincolnshire, Merseyside, the North West of England, North Wales,
Yorkshire and Humberside only) from Monday:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...22.p.Table_Saw

for 89 GBP.

Makro are doing a better looking SIP one for 59+VAT at the mo...

Problem there is...not every one has a makro card, plus I've heard makro
always have substantial amount of returns.

John Rumm

ben wrote:

Problem there is...not every one has a makro card,

True, although I would have thought most folks could either get one
(they don't exactly make it difficult), or at least know someone with one.

plus I've heard makro
always have substantial amount of returns.

Could be true - they do sell a fair amount of bargain basement stuff.

Partly why I pointed out the saw was branded by SIP, which should at
least give you some confidence regarding quality and support.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Cartmell

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
ben wrote:

Problem there is...not every one has a makro card,

True, although I would have thought most folks could either get one
(they don't exactly make it difficult), or at least know someone with one.

plus I've heard makro
always have substantial amount of returns.

Could be true - they do sell a fair amount of bargain basement stuff.

Partly why I pointed out the saw was branded by SIP, which should at
least give you some confidence regarding quality and support.

Their solid wood flooring at 15GBP (approx) per square metre seems to be quite
good but you do have to look carefully at their prices that sometimes look OK
only because there is no VAT on the ticket. Electrical equipment always seems
to be very expensive.

Timothy Murphy

John Cartmell wrote:

Electrical equipment always seems to be very expensive.

I've been quite impressed with the computer equipment
(including 2 computers) I've bought at Lidl.
I thought both computers were pretty good value for money -
at least as good as similar machines available elsewhere here.

Also I've been very impressed with their after-sales service.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mark

John Rumm wrote in message

plus I've heard makro
always have substantial amount of returns.

Could be true - they do sell a fair amount of bargain basement stuff.

Partly why I pointed out the saw was branded by SIP, which should at
least give you some confidence regarding quality and support.

Do you reckon that also applies to JCB branded tools ?

:-)

-

Eric The Viking

"Mark" wrote in message

John Rumm wrote in message

plus I've heard makro
always have substantial amount of returns.

Could be true - they do sell a fair amount of bargain basement stuff.

Partly why I pointed out the saw was branded by SIP, which should at
least give you some confidence regarding quality and support.

Do you reckon that also applies to JCB branded tools ?

:-)

Their diggers seem quite robust ;-)

ETV

John Rumm

Mark wrote:

Partly why I pointed out the saw was branded by SIP, which should at
least give you some confidence regarding quality and support.

Do you reckon that also applies to JCB branded tools ?

:-)

Well it ought to give you some confidence that you know what you are
getting ;-)

It might not be the same you would get with SIP though!

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Eric The Viking wrote:

Their diggers seem quite robust ;-)

Alas the only thing they share with the power tools is the name...

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:26:53 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Eric The Viking wrote:

Their diggers seem quite robust ;-)

Alas the only thing they share with the power tools is the name...

.... and the colour. Don't forget the colour.