Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Default Best buys at Lidl

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Ate they like Matalan? They are cheap but not tat.

Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the
Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem to
be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:50:37 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Ate they like Matalan? They are cheap but not tat.

PMSL.......

Clue Drivel
(note absence of connection)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

david lang wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

I know what I bought and none of it impressed me in the least.

None of the supermarkets or for that matter, retail stores of any
description in the UK impress me particularly. These places come
near the bottom of my list.

I can imagine that it's easy if you just want to buy on price - pick
the cheapest place and you're done.

I'm hard to please. Presumably others are easier to please or buy on
different criteria.

Presumably you shop for groceries in Harrods?

I hope not, the quality of groceries at Harrods is not consistent with
the prices charged.

You must be a very rich man

Decent food costs little more than the slop sold by supermarkets to the
stupid. For anyone close to Wakefield I strongly recommend Blacker Hall
Farm Shop, some of the best meat I've seen in the UK as well as proper
bread and other tasty stuff. Best sandwiches for miles around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" a **** kicker wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Are they like Matalan? They are cheap but not tat.

Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the
Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem to
be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

Matlan is not tat at all. They sell some designer labels at a fraction of
the cost. They don't sell **** kicking wellies that is for sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:48:31 -0000, "Henry"
Henryaintgonnatell.sunnysideup.com wrote:

We once had an associate round for dinner and after he had repeatedly
praised the "wonderful meal" conversation turned to shopping. He could not
understand why we were laughing at him when he said that the sort of people
who shop in Lidls wouldn't know what was good food :-)

Who else is selling decent shallots (French) at the moment ? The
English ones have finished at my local greengrocer.

Not to mention the (forget the name - good sign!) canned wheat beer at
79p a tin (light blue in colour). Me and SWMBO (a conniseur of anything
between 4% and 14% ABV) - on the odd occasion that we fancy a beer find
this one of the most drinkable beers from a tin.

Local Lidl (hey, it's around the corner so we do pop in from time to
time) stocks all local grocery products at 1/2 price of the local
Morrisons (and it lasts longer!), and cartons of fruit juice are very
good both in terms of quality and price. Cured meats, being German, are
also of good quality. In terms of variety of food, well, that's the
downfall, and the reason our weekly shopping does come from a UK
supermarket, however, there are gems to be had.

Back onto the subject matter; Have bought a £5 angle grinder and a 18V
cordless drill from Lidl - both of which have been adequate in use and
considered good value. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Are they like Matalan? They are cheap but not tat.

Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the
Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem to
be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

Matlan is not tat at all. They sell some designer labels at a fraction of
the cost. They don't sell **** kicking wellies that is for sure.

I've been to Matalan a couple of times. Maybe they do better stuff for
kids or women but the stuff for blokes is odds and sods, not
particularly fashionable and sizes that you don't want. Mainly because
it's stuff that's surplus.

Primark is the place where poor people shop, Matalan buyers are
normally well to do wide boy types. In any case I'm not fussed about
the kind of people who shop there because I'm not a snob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:49:11 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 2 Dec 2005 10:43:40 -0800, wrote:

And Waitrose customer service is great but their
products aren't always up to the mark.
I don't hold any of the UK supermarkets in any form of esteem.

Matt stop porkie telling. You hate Morrissons, Aldi, Lidl, Netto and Asda.
You said Morrisons was full of pies.

Did he? How observant of him, that was also my observation. Morrisons
have managed to ruin Safeway in a remarkably short time. From being one
of the best supermarkets for wine, beer and speciality foods, Safeway
has now become part of the Morrisons empire catering for plebs in
trainers whose idea of cooking is to garnish a couple of dead dogs with
baked beans.

You are aware that Morrisons own brand food has been condemned as
over-salted and poor quality, aren't you?

Yep. Loaded with sugar as well.

I was speaking a short time ago to somebody in one of the major food
producers who sell product under their own brand label as well as
supplying to some of the major supermarket chains.

The supply sourcing people for most of them put the supplier through
the wringer on quality, quality assurance, continuity, availability
and of course price. This included Safeway (Argyll group) who
generally were very particular.

He told me that following the acquisition by Morrisons, he met with
the relevant supply person there and had assumed that they would
continue with some previous products. The approach instead was that
he wanted to know what Tesco bought and then wanted one tier level
down from that and a much cheaper price.

I think that that says it all....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The label whores go for Snap-On,

No they don't.

Mr Craniun, they do.

yet Halfords have a large socket
set for £99 with a lifetime guarantee.

Only on their pro range - which is very
good.

Good observation Richard. 10/10.

** snip senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Matt stop porkie telling. You hate
Morrissons, Aldi, Lidl, Netto and Asda.
You said Morrisons was full of pies.

Did he?

Matt did.

Which Matt would that be, John? You seem to have problems with names.

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
yet Halfords have a large socket
set for £99 with a lifetime guarantee.

Only on their pro range - which is very
good.

Good observation Richard. 10/10.

I'm glad you've learnt something. You seem to think everything of one
brand is to the same quality. A problem with just reading and believing
adverts.

Tell us, why are you interested in pro quality socket sets? After all,
'your' Prius doesn't need servicing - and fixing anything on it would be
well beyond you.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matt stop porkie telling. You hate
Morrissons, Aldi, Lidl, Netto and Asda.
You said Morrisons was full of pies.

Did he?

Matt did.

Which Matt would that be

There is only one Matt.

** snip senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

yet Halfords have a large socket
set for £99 with a lifetime guarantee.

Only on their pro range - which is very
good.

Good observation Richard. 10/10.

I'm

** snip senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" fresh from kicking **** wrote in
message ...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matt, you look at high prices and perceive good value and quality.

Not
always the case.

And you think you can get something
for nothing, this is never the case.

Something for nothing? I always pay my way.

Are your

** snip **** kicking drivel **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Firth" fresh in from kicking **** wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Are they like Matalan? They are cheap but not tat.

** snip **** kicking drivel **

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , Rob Convery
wrote:

Not all cheap **** is crap.

No, some of it is stolen. :-)

Maybe they don't have £100's to spend when they
need a tool.

If a job's worth doing. . . .

My attitude is that if I can't afford to buy a quality tool, I will get
someone in to do it who *has* the right tool. I did this with my kitchen
worktop. It was done for a third of the price of the correct tools. I
already have a cheap router and it was obviously ridiculous to try using it.

Having the tool that will do the job for you is all that matters.
Joining a kitchen worktop is an extreme example. The jig alone will
cost £100 to do that job. But why didn't you just hire the stuff? That
would have been cheaper.

OK if you are a big DIYer but if you only do the odd job why
spend so much on something you will only use a couple time.

Because the tool needs to be fit for the purpose. Cheap stuff can be
inaccurate, unreliable and sometimes downright dangerous.

Yes, they can be but that doesn't mean all low cost tools are or that
they are not accurate enough to serve what is required of them.

My drill is just about dieing after 8.5 years of occasional use - cost
£14.99. Hmm do I spend £50/100 on a branded dewalt etc corded drillor go
for another cheap one. A cheap one it is for me.

With no disrespect intended, your use of cheap tools will be apparent in
your work quality.

That depends on the skill of the worker more than the tool and
certainly won't be apparent in many jobs. Some cheaper tools may take
more time to do the job or may not last as long as other more expensive
tools but I doubt whether you could tell the difference in the finished
job, in most cases.

--
AJL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

oups.com...

wrote:

Not all cheap **** is crap.

No, some of it is stolen. :-)

Maybe they don't have £100's to spend when they
need a tool.

If a job's worth doing. . . .

My attitude is that if I can't afford to buy a quality tool, I will get
someone in to do it who *has* the right tool. I did this with my kitchen
worktop. It was done for a third of the price of the correct tools. I
already have a cheap router and it was obviously ridiculous to try using

it.

Having the tool that will do the job for you is all that matters.
Joining a kitchen worktop is an extreme example. The jig alone will
cost £100 to do that job.

Nope. £50 from Screwfix. B&Q sell a 1/2" PP Pro router for less than £50
with bits and all to cut a worktop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Steve Firth wrote:
Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the
Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem
to be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

Another label junkie. Matalan are an incredibly successful clothing
retailer.

They own factories in low labour cost far east countries, they own shipping
lines, they own the retail stores and they know exactly what their customers
want because of the card you have to use.

Their shirts in particular are excellent quality and wash perfectly, at a
fraction of the cost of european produced equivilants.

It's the year 2005. Just because something costs less does not mean the
quality is inferior. The world changes and moves on - some people don't.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

david lang wrote:
It's the year 2005. Just because something costs less does not mean the
quality is inferior. The world changes and moves on - some people don't.

Remember the British motorcycle industry?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"david lang" wrote in message
k...
Steve Firth wrote:
Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the
Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem
to be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

Another label junkie.

No, he is just dumb.

Matalan are an incredibly successful clothing
retailer.

They own factories in low labour cost far east countries, they own

shipping
lines, they own the retail stores and they know exactly what their

customers
want because of the card you have to use.

Their shirts in particular are excellent quality and wash perfectly, at a
fraction of the cost of european produced equivalents.

Matalan saw off C&A from the UK market after about 60 or 70 years of
operating here (C&A are/were Dutch). They are also chipping into the Marks &
Spencer market. I used to buy underwear and socks at M&S, as did most, I
now buy at Matalan. They sell Wolsey underwear and Pringle socks, all
designer label, way cheaper than M&S.

http://www.matalan.co.uk Look at the history.

It's the year 2005. Just because something costs less does not mean the
quality is inferior. The world changes and moves on - some people don't.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I used to buy underwear and socks at M&S, as did most,

Most old farts such as you might have. But usually bought for them by
their spouse.

I now buy at Matalan. They sell Wolsey underwear and Pringle socks, all
designer label, way cheaper than M&S.

Thought labels didn't matter to you?

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through haze of senile
Doctor Drivel wrote:

I used to buy underwear and socks at M&S, as did most,

Most

** snip babbling senility **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt Beard

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , Rob Convery
wrote:

Not all cheap **** is crap.

No, some of it is stolen. :-)

Are you really using a publicly viewable forum to acuse Lidl of selling
stolen goods?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:41:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I used to buy underwear and socks at M&S, as did most,

Most old farts such as you might have. But usually bought for them by
their spouse.

I now buy at Matalan. They sell Wolsey underwear and Pringle socks, all
designer label, way cheaper than M&S.

Thought labels didn't matter to you?

Why do you think that he used to buy from C&A? On their underwear,
the C & A labels indicated which way round he should put them on.....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:41:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
though a haze of senile flatulence wrote:

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I used to buy underwear and socks at M&S, as did most,

Most old farts such as you might have. But usually bought for them by
their spouse.

I now buy at Matalan. They sell Wolsey underwear and Pringle socks, all
designer label, way cheaper than M&S.

Thought labels didn't matter to you?

Why do you think that he used to buy from C&A? On their underwear,
the C & A labels indicated which way round he should put them on.....

This they did. I think Richard Cranium should have disposable underwear, as
he is clearly incontinent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Rob Convery wrote:
Not all cheap **** is crap.

No, some of it is stolen. :-)

Are you really using a publicly viewable forum to acuse Lidl of selling
stolen goods?

Well, they *do* sell a "stollen"[1].

[1] The stuff in a box is better than the cellophane wrapped "rolled up"
stuff IMO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Rob Convery wrote:

Not all cheap **** is crap.

No, some of it is stolen. :-)

Are you really using a publicly viewable forum to acuse Lidl of selling
stolen goods?

Well, they *do* sell a "stollen"[1].

And very nice it is too

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

david lang wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the

Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem
to be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

That sounds incredibly pompous and elitist.

Another label junkie. Matalan are an incredibly successful clothing
retailer.

They own factories in low labour cost far east countries, they own shipping
lines, they own the retail stores and they know exactly what their customers
want because of the card you have to use.

Their shirts in particular are excellent quality and wash perfectly, at a
fraction of the cost of european produced equivilants.

It's the year 2005. Just because something costs less does not mean the
quality is inferior. The world changes and moves on - some people don't.

Dave

I'm always amazed by the number of posh 4x4s in the Lidl car park. They
probably transfer all the shopping to Waitrose bags before they get home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
This they did. I think Richard Cranium should have disposable underwear,
as he is clearly incontinent.

If I were, at least I'd know which hole the ****e was coming from. You, on
the other hand...

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

This they did. I think Richard Cranium should
have disposable underwear, as he is clearly incontinent.

If I

** snip senile babble about poo **

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matalan saw off C&A from the UK market after about 60 or 70 years of
operating here

Bull****, C&A left the UK long before Matalan appeared.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

david lang wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Is this some other Matalan in a universe far, far away? Because the
Matalan stores I've seen around the country are full of tat. You seem
to be addicted to shopping at the places where poor people shop.

Another label junkie.

Not me, I take it you are referring to the label-conscious customers of
Matalan?

Matalan are an incredibly successful clothing
retailer.

Nop,not really, they have been stuggling financially for some time now.

They own factories in low labour cost far east countries, they own shipping
lines, they own the retail stores and they know exactly what their customers
want because of the card you have to use.

Their customers appear to like tat then.

Their shirts in particular are excellent quality and wash perfectly, at a
fraction of the cost of european produced equivilants.

Umm hmm. Of course one has to like clothing in shades of mud and
manufactured from polyester, because you'll not get much choice of
anything else.

It's the year 2005. Just because something costs less does not mean the
quality is inferior.

No, the fact that it is poorly designed around the tastes of chavs is
more telling.

The world changes and moves on - some people don't.

Indeed, the chav market has always been there and will always be there
under one name or another. The Americans used to call them "hicks". Same
demographic, same tastes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matalan saw off C&A from the UK market after about 60 or 70 years of
operating here

Bull****, C&A left the UK long before Matalan appeared.

Nope. Matalan has been around for 20 years, maybe not in your wasteland,
but in civilised places, yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

**** Kicker in your case.

The Americans used to call them "hicks". Same
demographic, same tastes.

Exactly.

Lidl 29/09/05: 100pc 'Fine Tool' (Dremel -style) Set £2.99 Mathew Newton UK diy 10 September 26th 05 03:55 PM
Lidl table saw (from Mon. 22 Aug. 2005) Andy Mabbett UK diy 18 August 20th 05 08:30 AM
Lidl again! David Lang UK diy 35 July 28th 05 10:48 PM
Lidl Taps etc David Lang UK diy 35 July 19th 05 02:58 PM