Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Best buys at Lidl

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:46:35 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Because some people buy purely on initial price and aren't bright
enough to see the limitations of that strategy.

So my saw horses can't be any good simply because they were cheap? They
happen to be extreemly well made.

I didn't say that. A saw horse is hardly an object of complexity.

It's the same mentality that buy cheap food in the same or similar
places.

And what would be wrong with the food in these outlets?

Poor quality rubbish thrown in boxes.

They operate in an
entirely different way to our major supermarkets, which reduces their costs
dramatically.

That's one way to put it.

Actually neither is a particularly attractive way in terms of quality
and presentation of food.

Simple snobbery is applied in the UK where the 'hard discounters' have less
than 4% of the market.

Snobbery really doesn't come into it. These discount outlets are not
typically located in areas with higher average income. That is the
choice of the suppliers - i.e. their strategy is to target customers
who are more price sensitive. Plainly it isn't working in the form
they are doing it. 96% of the market doesn't want to shop in this
way.

In Europe they have nearly 20% of the market.

We are in Europe last time I checked the map....

Not
uncommon in Denmark to see a Lidl, Aldi or Netto car park full of Mercs,
BMW's & the like.

Denmark is a different market to the UK. Sweden is different to
Denmark. In France, even in hypermarkets, one normally sees good
quality food, well presented.

It's a matter of what customers will accept in terms of price, quality
and presentation.

In the UK, the cheap-skate outlets have two of these wrong. That's
why they have 4% market share.

--

..andy