Broadback

Default Gas & electric meters

I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric, but
no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that the
suppliers use to calculate bills please?
Set Square

Broadback wrote:

I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric,
but no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that
the suppliers use to calculate bills please?

The Elecricity meter readings will be in 'units' - i.e. kW.Hrs - and this is
simply multiplied by the price per unit, and then any standing charge is
added. The suppliers usually use unit prices before VAT, so VAT at 5% has to
be added to the total.

Gas is much more complicated, because gas meters measure *volume* of gas
used (cubic feet or cubic metres) but gas is billed in kW.Hr units to make
it comparable with electricity. The volume therefore has to be multipled by
various conversion factors - one (calorific value) of which is variable - in
order to arrive at kW.Hrs. Once it's in kW.Hrs, the rest of the process is
similar to that for electricity - albeit with lower unit prices.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Broadback

Set Square wrote:
Broadback wrote:

[...]

Thanks SS, problem with the gas then, there is no way it seems to
compare my present supplier with an other.
Brian G

Broadback wrote:
Set Square wrote:
Broadback wrote:

[...]

If you have a spreadsheet application loaded onto your computer you can use
the following to calculate your gas usage (or use a calculator)

To convert units to kilowatt hours:

Gas units used x imperial to metric conversion factor [2.8] truncated to one
decimal place x volume conversion factor [1.022640] x calorific value [39.9]
divided by kilowatt hour factor [3.6] = kilowatt hours used.

This is taken from the back of a British Gas gas bill would you believe?
What I did was simply to use Excel in Office 97 Pro to carry out the
calculation.

Brian G

Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback
I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric, but
no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that the
suppliers use to calculate bills please?
NEVER DO CONVERSIONS BY YOURSELF EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU ARE GREAT AT MATHS....only supply the exact number index as it is displayed on your meters...its up to the gas and electricity suppliers to do the conversions from imperial to metric...OFGAS the gas regulator set down a ruling that all imperial gas meter are to be changed by a certain date.....as a rule of thumb gas meters are changed at half there expected lifespan....so after 15 years expect your meters to be upgraded

Set Square

Brian G wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Set Square wrote:
Broadback wrote:

[...]

But bear in mind that the calorific value can vary from bill to bill. I
don't know what the range is, but I have seen values as low as 38.9

Also, the imperial to metric factor shown on my bills is 2.83 (not 2.8).
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:22:44 UTC, "Brian G" wrote:

To convert units to kilowatt hours:

Gas units used x imperial to metric conversion factor [2.8] truncated to one
decimal place x volume conversion factor [1.022640] x calorific value [39.9]
divided by kilowatt hour factor [3.6] = kilowatt hours used.

But beware - newer meters use cubic metres for 'units', so you then
leave out the 'multiply by 2.8' step. Check the meter... Also note that
there are slight variations in calorific value and volume conversion
factors, but these are probably negligible.

Set Square

gastec wrote:

Broadback Wrote:
I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric,
but no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that
the suppliers use to calculate bills please?

NEVER DO CONVERSIONS BY YOURSELF EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU ARE GREAT AT
MATHS....only supply the exact number index as it is displayed on your
meters...its up to the gas and electricity suppliers to do the
conversions from imperial to metric

What the B___ H___ are you on about? How exactly will doing one's own
calculation hasten the end of the world?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:21:38 UTC, gastec
wrote:

Broadback Wrote:
I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric, but
no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that the
suppliers use to calculate bills please?

NEVER DO CONVERSIONS BY YOURSELF EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU ARE GREAT AT
MATHS....only supply the exact number index as it is displayed on your
meters...its up to the gas and electricity suppliers to do the
conversions from imperial to metric...OFGAS the gas regulator set down
a ruling that all imperial gas meter are to be changed by a certain
date.....as a rule of thumb gas meters are changed at half there
expected lifespan....so after 15 years expect your meters to be
upgraded

He never said he was going to do that! Don't be silly.

(but then, you're a diybanter reader...stupidity should be expected)

Broadback

wrote:

Broadback Wrote:

I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric, but
no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that the
suppliers use to calculate bills please?

NEVER DO CONVERSIONS BY YOURSELF EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU ARE GREAT AT
MATHS....only supply the exact number index as it is displayed on your
meters...its up to the gas and electricity suppliers to do the
conversions from imperial to metric...OFGAS the gas regulator set down
a ruling that all imperial gas meter are to be changed by a certain
date.....as a rule of thumb gas meters are changed at half there
expected lifespan....so after 15 years expect your meters to be
upgraded

He never said he was going to do that! Don't be silly.

(but then, you're a diybanter reader...stupidity should be expected)

Thanks all, I reckon that the info given is accurate enough to judge the
cheapest supplier. At the moment I am on this fixed rate, no meter
readings supplied. As they are now rapidly increasing their charges I
think it is time to make certain they are still the cheapest.

Broadback

wrote:

Broadback Wrote:

[...]

I hope it is not too late to ask this. To convert from cu ft to metric
multiply by 2.83? I am confused, should that be divide by 2.93?
Set Square

Broadback wrote:

I hope it is not too late to ask this. To convert from cu ft to
metric multiply by 2.83? I am confused, should that be divide by 2.93?

It *is* multiply - because the cu ft reading is actually *hundreds* of cubic
feet - and 100 cubic feet is 2.83 cubic metres.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Broadback

Set Square wrote:
Broadback wrote:

I hope it is not too late to ask this. To convert from cu ft to
metric multiply by 2.83? I am confused, should that be divide by 2.93?

It *is* multiply - because the cu ft reading is actually *hundreds* of cubic
feet - and 100 cubic feet is 2.83 cubic metres.

Thanks for that SQ
Cheers
Brian G

Set Square wrote:
Brian G wrote:

Broadback wrote:
Set Square wrote:
Broadback wrote:

[...]

Oops, you are correct. Damn varifocal glass again LOL

Brian G

Brian G

gastec wrote:
Broadback Wrote:
I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric,
but no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that
the suppliers use to calculate bills please?

NEVER DO CONVERSIONS BY YOURSELF EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU ARE GREAT AT
MATHS....only supply the exact number index as it is displayed on your
meters...its up to the gas and electricity suppliers to do the
conversions from imperial to metric...OFGAS the gas regulator set down
a ruling that all imperial gas meter are to be changed by a certain
date.....as a rule of thumb gas meters are changed at half there
expected lifespan....so after 15 years expect your meters to be
upgraded

Pardon?

British Gas actually give the info on how to check gas usage on their
bills - and take it from me, when they estimate my bill and I check and
query it, the new bill is ALWAYS the same as I calculated.

Brian G