PG

Default Getting extra Gas & Electric mains supplies (and meters) installed

I am the freeholder of a house comprised of two flats. It's been that
way for many years. The two flats share the same mains supplies (gas,
electric and water), and each tenant pays for power via coin meters.

I now want the tenants to pay their own utility bills - since I don't
want to have to empty coin meters any more. To enable this, I'll need
to have an additional gas mains supply (and meter) and an additional
electric mains supply (and meter) installed by the supply companies

Do I have to ask the council before I do this?

Thanks for any info

PG
Dave Jones

"PG" wrote in message

I am the freeholder of a house comprised of two flats. It's been that
way for many years. The two flats share the same mains supplies (gas,
electric and water), and each tenant pays for power via coin meters.

I now want the tenants to pay their own utility bills - since I don't
want to have to empty coin meters any more. To enable this, I'll need
to have an additional gas mains supply (and meter) and an additional
electric mains supply (and meter) installed by the supply companies

Do I have to ask the council before I do this?

Thanks for any info

PG

Might be cheaper to just add and agreed amount to their monthly rent, and
put a lock on the boiler cupboard and set the heating to suit yourself.

PG

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:58:40 -0000, "Dave Jones"
wrote:

"PG" wrote in message

I am the freeholder of a house comprised of two flats. It's been that
way for many years. The two flats share the same mains supplies (gas,
electric and water), and each tenant pays for power via coin meters.

I now want the tenants to pay their own utility bills - since I don't
want to have to empty coin meters any more. To enable this, I'll need
to have an additional gas mains supply (and meter) and an additional
electric mains supply (and meter) installed by the supply companies

Do I have to ask the council before I do this?

Thanks for any info

PG

Might be cheaper to just add and agreed amount to their monthly rent, and
put a lock on the boiler cupboard and set the heating to suit yourself.

Thanks for the suggestion but no; I want to have extra mains supplies
installed.

PG

Bolted

Might be cheaper to just add and agreed amount to their monthly rent, and
put a lock on the boiler cupboard and set the heating to suit yourself.

Christ am I glad you were never my landlord.
Owain

"PG" wrote
| I am the freeholder of a house comprised of two flats. It's been
| that way for many years. The two flats share the same mains
| supplies (gas, electric and water), and each tenant pays for
| power via coin meters.
| I now want the tenants to pay their own utility bills - since I
| don't want to have to empty coin meters any more. To enable this,
| I'll need to have an additional gas mains supply (and meter) and
| an additional electric mains supply (and meter) installed by the
| supply companies
| Do I have to ask the council before I do this?

I can't see why. I presume the flats are recognised as separate dwellings in
the deeds and for council tax valuations i.e. this is not an unofficial
conversion.

The elec co (I don't know about the gas) may want to see an electrical
Certificate for the installation before connecting meter tails to anything.

Owain

Dave Jones

"Bolted" wrote in message

Might be cheaper to just add and agreed amount to their monthly rent, and
put a lock on the boiler cupboard and set the heating to suit yourself.

Christ am I glad you were never my landlord.

Well visited a clients property at beginning of November, (when it was still
quite warm), tenants had put the heating on 24/7, and then open all the
windows due to the access heat.

Logic seems to go out of the window when your not paying the bill!

Lobster

PG wrote:
I am the freeholder of a house comprised of two flats. It's been that
way for many years. The two flats share the same mains supplies (gas,
electric and water), and each tenant pays for power via coin meters.

I now want the tenants to pay their own utility bills - since I don't
want to have to empty coin meters any more. To enable this, I'll need
to have an additional gas mains supply (and meter) and an additional
electric mains supply (and meter) installed by the supply companies

Do I have to ask the council before I do this?

Can't see any reason why. I recently subdivided a house into two, and
natch, the various council depts were very interested in different
aspects of this - council tax, building regs, planning permission; but I
can't recall any specifics about separating off and installing
separate utilties.

NB it will cost you plenty to do it, mind - eg I was forced to pay
United Utilities GBP 1100 to provide 1m of blue water pipe under the
pavement (I dug the internal hole, and made the hole through the house
wall 18" down, myself, thereby saving £££ more).

David
Rick Dipper

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:30:04 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

PG wrote:
[...]

1100 quid - incredable.

Rick

PG

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:27:33 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"PG" wrote
| I am the freeholder of a house comprised of two flats. It's been
| that way for many years. The two flats share the same mains
| supplies (gas, electric and water), and each tenant pays for
| power via coin meters.
| I now want the tenants to pay their own utility bills - since I
| don't want to have to empty coin meters any more. To enable this,
| I'll need to have an additional gas mains supply (and meter) and
| an additional electric mains supply (and meter) installed by the
| supply companies
| Do I have to ask the council before I do this?

I can't see why. I presume the flats are recognised as separate dwellings in
the deeds and for council tax valuations i.e. this is not an unofficial
conversion.

Correct. It's been that way for years and each flat gets a separate
council tax bill.

The elec co (I don't know about the gas) may want to see an electrical
Certificate for the installation before connecting meter tails to anything.

I'm hoping they'll put the consumer fuse box + meter in, and let me
have my electrician connect it up the the flat's wiring cirquit later,
after I've had various bits of rewiring done on the flat..

Thanks for the info. Same to the other helpers...

PG