Set Square

Default Gas & electric meters

Broadback wrote:

I have the old and new meter readings for both my gas and electric,
but no bills. How do I convert the meter readings to the units that
the suppliers use to calculate bills please?

The Elecricity meter readings will be in 'units' - i.e. kW.Hrs - and this is
simply multiplied by the price per unit, and then any standing charge is
added. The suppliers usually use unit prices before VAT, so VAT at 5% has to
be added to the total.

Gas is much more complicated, because gas meters measure *volume* of gas
used (cubic feet or cubic metres) but gas is billed in kW.Hr units to make
it comparable with electricity. The volume therefore has to be multipled by
various conversion factors - one (calorific value) of which is variable - in
order to arrive at kW.Hrs. Once it's in kW.Hrs, the rest of the process is
similar to that for electricity - albeit with lower unit prices.
--
Cheers,
Set Square