:::Jerry::::

Default All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
snip

The present government do. You may have noticed that they are

not
playing that
game. That's why there is no opposition.

If the Tories have got it so wrong over the last twenty odd years

why
is the leadership of the current (new) Labour copying Tory policy

and
not the pushing the policies of old Labour?....

Jerry, you are confused. New Lab doens't want people living on the

streets.

You could have fooled me, even Prescot's 'new homes' policy will be
out of reach for many people's pockets! So were are all these new
council houses for rent if they are serious about everyone having a
decent house to live in at an affordable cost - it's not in the
private sector from what I read?...

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they can
afford,

They pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. And only increase it
through union pressure or when losing staff.

Except for board members, obviously.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Geoffrey

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:21:07 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

You could have fooled me, even Prescot's 'new homes' policy will be
out of reach for many people's pockets!

In our village there is a triangle of land between a major and a minor
road. It was originally a fair size (20 or so rooms) superior B&B with
a bit of a garden and a large conservatory used as a restaurant. It
was losing money so the owner got planning permissoin to knock it down
and build a block of 33 (!) "affordable" flats. Planning was opposed
of course by all the residents of the village and most of the
councellors but was pushed through because of intense pressure by
Prescott and his cronies.

The "affordable" flats are now complete and range in price from £145K
(one bed) to £270K (two bed). One parking space per flat (and a whole
SIX more for visitors) in a village with very little public transport
and the nearest station 3 miles away.

Perfect housing for all those teachers, nurses and young families who
can't afford the current inflated house prices! Good job they are so
cheap huh?

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
John Cartmell

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
So you admit that there were strikes and layoff's then...

Have you ever been to Liverpool?

John Cartmell

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they can
afford, and when they are paying ten people to do one mans work....
The problems started in '74, when Wilson gave the miners what they
were demanding, every union then played catch-up...

The problem with lying through your teeth is that eventually you might start
to believe it. Stop believing in lies now before your mind retires into a 100%
fantasy world.

John Cartmell

In article , Clive Summerfield
wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:42:19 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Matt
writes
"andy hall" wrote:

intrusion

What might that be?

Cherie working Tony's lever at the back to make his lips move.

That explains Tony's lips, how do you explain Cherie's?

Which ones?

Bertie, Cherie Blair (nee Booth) is the daughter of Anthony Both the
actor, of Till Death Us Do Part, the Scarce Git. He ancestor was
Wilkes-Booth from Liverpool, who assassinated Abe Lincoln.

So the British Prime Minister is indirectly related to the murderer of an
American president.

Very indirect indeed, as Anthony Booth is not a direct descendant of John
Wilkes Booth. John would be Cheries great-great-great-grand uncle. So he
can't have been an ancestor of the "Scouse Git".

Fourth cousin thrice removed. It's actually quite close. Interesting snippet.
How verified is all this?

Doctor Drivel

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

snip most of drivels clap-trap

[ re '78 - '79 winter ]

Jerry, that winter was few high profile strikes. There was no mass
employment

To right, people *were* loosing their jobs (or at least being laid
off) due to a shortage of raw materials because the transport unions
came out in strike...

Jerry, please get therapy.

Doctor Drivel

wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:42:19 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Matt
writes
"andy hall" wrote:

[...]

He is making it all up.

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The great thing about the latter part of the Victorian era was that they
introduced standards. Hygiene, water, housing, building control,
engineering (screw threads etc). Because of what they saw in the early

part
of the 1800s, they changed matters. This has been going on even to

today.
Some, like planning went too far and is a classic case of regulation to
suppress.

A free for all creates poverty and greed. The free market has it place,

but
only when inside a framework that works for all.

This man is making remarkable sense today.

Which is far from what you are doing.

andy hall

They pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. And only increase it
through union pressure or when losing staff.

or when wishing to recruit better people than their competition -
always assuming that said people are motivated by more money.

Doctor Drivel

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is your take on the facts, but if the UK was in such a good
state (economically) why did Callaghan lose?

People were fed up of tightening their belts - getting the raging

inflation
down without damaging industry or people is hard. And Thatcher

promised much
reduced unemployment which was slowly creeping up to 1million.
And the Liberals left the coalition/alliance to gain political

advantage and
the tabloids swooped on strikes by low paid workers and whooped it

up.

That is the point,

Jerry, just give up. You are being thrashed by superior minds and me.
Don't dig deeper.

John Cartmell wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:

Getting back to something close to uk.d.i.y. I worked at finding jobs for
people in the building industry during the 70s and managed a close-on
100% success rate to get joiners, brickies, plasterers, H&V Engineers, &c
in work at the end of a six-moth training course. Employment prospects
never got back to that in the 80s and 90s - and house prices didn't go
down because that 'over-employment' had disappeared.

When anyone can get jobs any time they want, theyre not competing for those
jobs, and standards fall and fall. Too many British workers are far too
lazy for my liking.

When no-one can get the job they want they take whatever comes and don't do
themselves justice. their lazy bosses think that because they are getting work
for practically nothing they're doing well whilst in fact the whole system is
working way below potential.

that would be true if it ever happened. Of course it never has and
never will. And of course its not what was suggested.

Your 'liking' makes for a sick society.

My liking is for workers that do the work, instead of sitting round all
day. That is only achieved when some fail to get the work they most
want. People that work is hardly sick.

NT

John Cartmell

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
And the Liberals left the coalition/alliance to gain political advantage
and the tabloids swooped on strikes by low paid workers and whooped it up.

That is the point

It is. Maybe you don't understand the phrased 'whooped it up'. The tabloids
lied. You have repeated those lies. They were wrong. You are wrong.

Clive Summerfield

wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:42:19 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Matt
writes
"andy hall" wrote:

[...]

Actually, and unlike yourself, I'm not.

John Wilkes Booth's father was Junius Brutus Booth. Junius had a
brother called Algernon Sidney Booth. Algernon's grandson Sidney Booth
was jailed as a pacifist during WW1. Sidney's grandson was Anthony
George Booth, better known as Tony and father of Cherie Booth.

Somewhere I have the names of Anthony's father and Sidney's father,
but not to hand. My understanding is that this has been verified by a
number of authorities, though I haven't seen the various physical
records myself (obviously).

Cheers
Clive

Capitol

John Cartmell wrote:

You are deluding yourself. Non-regulation does *not* mean very basic.
Non-regulation means illness and poverty and debt. Do tell me how many kids
you brought up under your steel roof, how far you could tust the water that
was supplied, how much it cost to heat the room, and how you dealt with the
black mould.

What a load of crap. Having lived as a child, in numerous old houses,
some timber, some stone, some with wells, some with earth closets, most
with black mould!, I and the others survived. Although not rich, we
lived well and healthily, largely by our own efforts. You don't get
debt, illness and poverty from living in a house which which was built
without lots of unnecessary paperwork and taxation to pay for it.

Capitol

Capitol

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

So one man operating a CNC lathe or CAM manufacturing (and it's
predecessors) plant is not more economic than having ten people doing
the same work? You might not like the fact that countries like the
Japan were using such methods in the late '70's and thus selling
their products cheaper but you can't change the fact that they were.

The writing was on the wall in the 60's. I worked for a company making
volume parts for the TV industry,and others. We normally put another 30
girls on the production line if a big order came in. Our German sister
company always built a machine, which took them about a year. After a
year, we purchased the parts from them, their costs were lower. One
particular product was unique to the UK, so we for once, built an
automated production line, the results were an object lesson in product
development. After a year, we had paid for the machine and could compete
with the Japanese in the US market. Our selling price was their
production cost. We ended up with a 90% share of the US market for a
number of years. However, the company went on to buy up the competitors
but stay UK production based, instead of moving offshore(where the
customers were moving) and would not invest in further automated
production. The results were that they could not compete by 1978 and
went out of business.

Thatcher made some mistakes, don't we all, but the standard of living
in the UK increased faster in her period in office than at any time
since. Then the IMO incompetent Major wrecked the economy.

Regards
Capitol

:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they

can
afford,

They pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. And only

increase it
through union pressure or when losing staff.

Except for board members, obviously.

Do you pay (or agree to pay) more than you think a job is worth?...

:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they

can
afford, and when they are paying ten people to do one mans

work....
The problems started in '74, when Wilson gave the miners what

they
were demanding, every union then played catch-up...

The problem with lying through your teeth is that eventually you

might start
to believe it. Stop believing in lies now before your mind retires

into a 100%
fantasy world.

I suggest you take you own advice!

John Cartmell

In article , Capitol
wrote:

John Cartmell wrote:

You are deluding yourself. Non-regulation does *not* mean very basic.
Non-regulation means illness and poverty and debt. Do tell me how many
kids you brought up under your steel roof, how far you could tust the
water that was supplied, how much it cost to heat the room, and how you
dealt with the black mould.

What a load of crap. Having lived as a child, in numerous old houses,
some timber, some stone, some with wells, some with earth closets, most
with black mould!, I and the others survived. Although not rich, we lived
well and healthily, largely by our own efforts. You don't get debt,
illness and poverty from living in a house which which was built without
lots of unnecessary paperwork and taxation to pay for it.

You don't even begin to understand the problem.

John Cartmell

In article ,
Clive Summerfield wrote:
John Wilkes Booth's father was Junius Brutus Booth. Junius had a
brother called Algernon Sidney Booth. Algernon's grandson Sidney Booth
was jailed as a pacifist during WW1. Sidney's grandson was Anthony
George Booth, better known as Tony and father of Cherie Booth.

Somewhere I have the names of Anthony's father and Sidney's father,
but not to hand. My understanding is that this has been verified by a
number of authorities, though I haven't seen the various physical
records myself (obviously).

Easy enough to search the public records on the web. The names are
sufficiently distinctive.

:::Jerry::::

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
And the Liberals left the coalition/alliance to gain political

advantage
and the tabloids swooped on strikes by low paid workers and

whooped it up.

That is the point

It is. Maybe you don't understand the phrased 'whooped it up'. The

tabloids
lied. You have repeated those lies. They were wrong. You are wrong.

So says the (ex?) union official....

John Cartmell

In article ,
Capitol wrote:

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the good illustration. A failure of management that was typical
of the UK and a need to re-invest in industry that North Sea Oil could have
provided. All thrown away by Thatcher.

Thatcher made some mistakes, don't we all, but the standard of living
in the UK increased faster in her period in office than at any time
since.

Then all the family silver ran out and, with no more capital left to sell off
cheaply ...

Then the IMO incompetent Major wrecked the economy.

... inherited an economy based on freebies for the rich and bugger everyone
else that was running into the buffers.

So he privatised the railways. ;-(

John Cartmell

In article s.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
So says the (ex?) union official....

What makes you think that? Aren't all workers concerned about decent wages and
doing a job that they can do well?

The Natural Philosopher

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:34:04 +0000, Matt wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:06:23 +0000, Matt wrote:

"andy hall" wrote:

intrusion

What might that be?

Cherie working Tony's lever at the back to make his lips move.

That explains Tony's lips, how do you explain Cherie's?

Silicone injections.

She ought to sue. Does she know a good lawyer?

No.

The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:14:06 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell wrote:

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The great thing about the latter part of the Victorian era was that they
introduced standards. Hygiene, water, housing, building control,
engineering (screw threads etc). Because of what they saw in the early part
of the 1800s, they changed matters. This has been going on even to today.
Some, like planning went too far and is a classic case of regulation to
suppress.

A free for all creates poverty and greed. The free market has it place, but
only when inside a framework that works for all.

I think someone mentioned informed decisions. But you only get such decisions
if you have the information - and companies will often want to hide
information that's of potential use to their customers. You have to have the
right balance.

Th free market is the reaosn hoiuses are so expensive.

Supply, and limited demand. And a low interest rate.

If 100 people are chjasing 50 houses, the price will rise until the
inteerst payments on te houses are JUST viable for the 50 most wellpaid of
the ione hindred.

Regulation has nowt to do with it.

Barrat superhutches cost about 80 grand to put up.,,...on plots that are
wirth 200 grand.

Perscott saez its all those drefful toffs owning all the land.

Its ********. Its too many people chaisng too few houyses, and its in the
developers interest to keep it that way..

If inflation goes up and interest rates go up house prices will crash.
The Natural Philosopher

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:51:44 -0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Do you really think that paying ten people to do one mans work

was
efficient, that was British industry BEFORE the '80's!

That's what you were told. You obviously believed it. It was a lie.

So one man operating a CNC lathe or CAM manufacturing (and it's
predecessors) plant is not more economic than having ten people doing
the same work? You might not like the fact that countries like the
Japan were using such methods in the late '70's and thus selling
their products cheaper but you can't change the fact that they were.

Not if twenty men had to work twice as long to make that lathe...

Appropiate technology. CNC lathes applied to making a woooden broom handle
is overkill..
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:39:49 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they can
afford,

They pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. And only increase it
through union pressure or when losing staff.

Indeed. And the minum they can get away with inTaiwan is a lot les, so tits
the jobs, not te products, thatget exported..

Except for board members, obviously.

Yerrs.
The Natural Philosopher

On 4 Nov 2005 12:58:44 -0800, andy hall wrote:

They pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. And only increase it
through union pressure or when losing staff.

or when wishing to recruit better people than their competition -
always assuming that said people are motivated by more money.

NOt losing is prerttry much gaining staff..
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:30:40 +0000 (GMT), John Cartmell wrote:

Structural
unemployment (vacancies match unemploed but in the wrong skills) demands
re-training and demand-deficient unemployment needs a new government. The last
is what we had throughout most of the Thatcher era.

Indeed. but one could argue that that was becaise we hadn't addressed that
propblem hitherto.

I am no fan ofThatcher, but the nationalised industry union thing had to
go, and frankly I wish poll tax had stayed. Dran sight fairer than council
and stealth taxes...

Apart from that, she was a total bitch. Just as Tony is a total c**t

Plus ca change...

Dave Plowman (News)

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they

can
afford,

They pay the absolute minimum they can get away with. And only

increase it
through union pressure or when losing staff.

Except for board members, obviously.

Do you pay (or agree to pay) more than you think a job is worth?...

Most people ain't in a position to demand what they think a job is worth.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

I wish poll tax had stayed. Dran sight fairer than council
and stealth taxes...

Land Value Tax (LVT) is the best. Only one tax.

Brian Sharrock

"andy hall" wrote:

intrusion

What might that be?

Cherie working Tony's lever at the back to make his lips move.

That explains Tony's lips, how do you explain Cherie's?

Silicone injections.

She ought to sue. Does she know a good lawyer?

No.

She does know her Pupil Master .... don't know whether they're
still on speaking terms .... and to bring this discussion back to d-i-y ...
he knew 'you can't buy this stuff' in D-I-Y sheds !'
* carved loo seats; wall;paper at £300(?) a roll; etc. etc.

--

Brian

Brian Sharrock

:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Do you really think that paying ten people to do one mans work

was
efficient, that was British industry BEFORE the '80's!

That's what you were told. You obviously believed it. It was a lie.

So one man operating a CNC lathe or CAM manufacturing (and it's
predecessors) plant is not more economic than having ten people doing
the same work? You might not like the fact that countries like the
Japan were using such methods in the late '70's and thus selling
their products cheaper but you can't change the fact that they were.

Not if twenty men had to work twice as long to make that lathe...

Why do you make that statements? No experience in management?
Every 'bid' for work will have 'costed' the complete 'job'.
A costed proposal will say (for instance) thousand widget using ;-

method 'A' (using existing practises) = £N_1
with delivery in Y_1 months;

using method 'B' (build machine at £X ) = £N_2
with delivery in Y_2 months.

A decision will be made based on these variable and anticipated
markets and future (forecast) cost-trends..

--

Brian

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article s.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Do you pay (or agree to pay) more than you think a job is worth?...

Most people ain't in a position to demand what they think a job is worth.

Most people are unrealistic about what their work is worth.

NT

Doctor Drivel

.. .

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

Oh you are thick. An artificial land shortage ramps up land prices, hence
house prices. An acre of agricultural land can be purchased for £2,000, a
complete eco kit home for £20,000, yet the average price of a house in the
UK is near to £200,000. Obtaining planning permission to erect a house in
the countryside in a country with a land surplus will be near impossible.
Few people realise that the high land value is the reason why their homes
are so expensive.

In the United Kingdom the average home costs seven times the average annual
income. In the U.S.A. people pay three and a half their annual income on a
home. In the United Kingdom the average size of the home will be 330 square
feet per person, while Americans occupy 750 square feet per person. In the
UK, on average, homes cost twice as much and are half the size as in the
U.S.A.

Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Jerry, just give up. You are being thrashed by superior minds and me.

Here is self proof that D.D. does not have a superior mind :-)

RAOTFLMAO

Dave
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Jerry, just give up. You are being thrashed by superior minds and me.

Here is self proof that D.D. does not have a superior mind :-)

RAOTFLMAO

You will get locked up for laughing like that.

Ohhh ..... DAMN!! Damn, damn, damn. Broke a gear! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 August 11th 05 07:37 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
OT- Rules of Gunfighting Gunner Metalworking 120 October 6th 03 11:02 AM