david lang

Default One for Andy Hall :-)

Hi All

With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting review
of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E was
quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby

david lang wrote:
Hi All

With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting
review of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E
was quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not
similar - absolutely identical in appearance, specification,
everything. No doubt that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

Dave

If your thinking of buying one of either routers have a good think, because
550W is really only suitable for very light
work and the B&D version is 850W and is identical and probably in the same
class price as the FERM?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
david lang wrote:
The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not
similar - absolutely identical in appearance, specification,
everything. No doubt that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

If your thinking of buying one of either routers have a good think, because
550W is really only suitable for very light work

That's a whoosh!, then.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
david lang wrote:
The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

It's possible one make uses tighter production tolerances. Ie, checked to
be fully up to spec. The other - sort of seconds.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

david lang wrote:
Hi All

With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting review
of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E was
quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

Dave

Brand name always charges a premium whatever anyone says. Just look at
the DeWalt range of toolbelts and workbags. I don't doubt it may be
good quality but it's still sold at a premium simply cos of the name on
it.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"david lang" writes:
Hi All

With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting review
of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E was
quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

Products sell for what people will pay for them, which often
bears no resemblence to how much they cost to manufacture.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
david lang wrote:
The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

It's possible one make uses tighter production tolerances. Ie, checked to
be fully up to spec. The other - sort of seconds.

Aha, identical but different. Well done!
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:
david lang wrote:
The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

It's possible one make uses tighter production tolerances. Ie, checked

be fully up to spec. The other - sort of seconds.

Aha, identical but different. Well done!

Chrsi, you will get used to the senility.

Chris Bacon

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote
Aha, identical but different. Well done!

Chrsi, you will get used to the senility.

Thank you. Perhaps you will join me in a nice game of dominoes!
Henry

Products sell for what people will pay for them, which often
bears no resemblence to how much they cost to manufacture.

Or to what they are actually worth.....

Henry

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
It's possible one make uses tighter production tolerances. Ie, checked to
be fully up to spec. The other - sort of seconds.

Aha, identical but different. Well done!

It's certainly the case with car tyres. Check out a new car with brand X
tyres and see if there are balancing weights. There won't be. Buy the same
brand afterwards and fit them to the same car and they'll need balancing.

Get the point?

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Chris Bacon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

It's possible one make uses tighter production tolerances. Ie, checked to
be fully up to spec. The other - sort of seconds.

Aha, identical but different. Well done!

It's certainly the case with car tyres. Check out a new car with brand X
tyres and see if there are balancing weights. There won't be. Buy the same
brand afterwards and fit them to the same car and they'll need balancing.

Get the point?

What point. If two items are identical, they are the
same.

I'm afraid that your interesting (although pointless)
remark about new cars and wheel balance weights is
complete rubbish.
Andy Hall

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:25:42 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi All

With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting review
of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E was
quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

Why does one sell for 40% more than the other? Brand name.

Dave

I think that you could well be putting two and two together and
arriving at five.

The products could quite easily have the same electrical specs and
exterior appearance, but be made with different internal components
and to a different QA level.

We know that an 1800W PPPoo router has crappy motor performance, so
specs are highly questionable anyway.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

The products could quite easily have the same electrical specs and
exterior appearance, but be made with different internal components
and to a different QA level.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck
................. it's a duck!!

Dave

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
What point. If two items are identical, they are the
same.

But the items ain't identical. They have different badges if nothing else.
And unless you've done a full production engineering assessment of both
you can't say for sure they're otherwise identical.

I'm afraid that your interesting (although pointless)
remark about new cars and wheel balance weights is
complete rubbish.

It was just to illustrate the point that products which look identical may
not be.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chris Bacon

david lang wrote:
With the recent discussion about power tools, I read an interesting review
of lightweight routers today in good woodworking magazine.

The Trend T3 was the recommended product at £41, but the Ferm FBF-6E was
quoted as being amazing value at £25.

The point is that these routers are absolutely identical - not similar -
absolutely identical in appearance, specification, everything. No doubt
that they are made in the same factory.

Going back to this, various people have mentioned that they
may not be identical (the badges aren't, which I feel is
prevaricating). How do you/"Good Woodworking" know they are
identical?
david lang

Chris Bacon wrote:

Going back to this, various people have mentioned that they
may not be identical (the badges aren't, which I feel is
prevaricating). How do you/"Good Woodworking" know they are
identical?

Good Woodworking - who Trend regularly advertise with - are noteably
cautious. They only say that the baseplate will accept all theTrend guide
bushes and accessories.

Technical spec is identical. Speeds, plunge depth, wattage, weight etc.

However, there are good quality large colour photos of both machines. The
body moulding, switch, cable entry, knobs, depth turret, base, plunge
columns, collet, wing nuts - every single detail is identical.

If it looks like a duck ...........

Quack, quack........

Dave

Doctor Drivel

"Dave P" wrote in message
"david lang" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

The products could quite easily have the same electrical specs and
exterior appearance, but be made with different internal components
and to a different QA level.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck
................ it's a duck!!

Or Dr Drivel.

Oh you are full of wit. Durgh.....

Andy Hall

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:08:14 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

The products could quite easily have the same electrical specs and
exterior appearance, but be made with different internal components
and to a different QA level.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck & quacks like a duck
................ it's a duck!!

Dave

Unless it's a drake.

You have to check under the feathers......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Schmitt

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:54:35 +0100, Doctor Drivel
wrote:

Oh you are full of wit. Durgh.....

I am sure Dr. Spooner would have described you as a shining wit.

John Schmitt