Ian

Default Problem with Stayer SDS Drill

I bought a Stayer SDS drill (PD24) a couple of years ago from
Screwfix, having seen it recommended in quite a few threads on this
group (they don't seem to sell it any more). I've been very happy with
it so far. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a strange
fault. It only works when oriented at certain angles. For example, if
I hold it in the 'normal' upright position, with drill bit horizontal,
and squeeze on the trigger, nothing happens. If I now tilt it
downwards, so the bit is towards the floor, it starts. Tilt it up
again, it stops again. Again, starting from normal position, if I
rotate about the axis of the bit until it is on its side it starts,
but only in one direction (if I rotate the other way it doesn't work).

Any ideas what it might be and how easy it would be to repair?

Does anyone know how easy it is to get these drills serviced?

Assuming the worst and it's not worth repairing, what are the current
recommendations for cheap SDS drills?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian.
David W.E. Roberts

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Brushes worn out?
My cheapo SDS drill from Homebase came with a spare pair of brushes which
seems to indicate that they are likely to wear out.

HTH
Dave R

Chas

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Broken flex? Used to have to shorten flexes quite regularly as the cable
breaks within the insulation, often where the flex enters the drill housing.
Instead of moving the drill around, try moving the flex while the drill is
switched on.
If it is the flex, it ought to be straightforward to remove all the screws
holding the two halves of the drill together, remove the flex, shorten or
replace and reassemble.

HTH,
Chas

Ian

Broken flex? Used to have to shorten flexes quite regularly as the cable
breaks within the insulation, often where the flex enters the drill housing.
Instead of moving the drill around, try moving the flex while the drill is
switched on.
If it is the flex, it ought to be straightforward to remove all the screws
holding the two halves of the drill together, remove the flex, shorten or
replace and reassemble.

Yes - got in one. Thanks!

I had originally jiggled the flex about when I noticed the problem,
but I obviously wasn't doing it hard enough. I got side-tracked by the
consistency of the effects of tilting the drill as I described.

Anyway, now fixed and as good as new.

Thanks,

Ian.
Steph

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"Ian" wrote in message
om...
I bought a Stayer SDS drill (PD24) a couple of years ago from
Screwfix, having seen it recommended in quite a few threads on this
group (they don't seem to sell it any more). I've been very happy with
it so far. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a strange
fault. It only works when oriented at certain angles. For example, if
I hold it in the 'normal' upright position, with drill bit horizontal,
and squeeze on the trigger, nothing happens. If I now tilt it
downwards, so the bit is towards the floor, it starts. Tilt it up
again, it stops again. Again, starting from normal position, if I
rotate about the axis of the bit until it is on its side it starts,
but only in one direction (if I rotate the other way it doesn't work).

Any ideas what it might be and how easy it would be to repair?

Does anyone know how easy it is to get these drills serviced?

I work for Screwfix and if you phone the Contact centre and ask to
speak to the tech dep if the drill is out of warrinty then they will
give you Stayers phone number for you to get advise

Assuming the worst and it's not worth repairing, what are the current
recommendations for cheap SDS drills?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian.

Brushes worn out?
My cheapo SDS drill from Homebase came with a spare pair of brushes which
seems to indicate that they are likely to wear out.

HTH
Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Congratulations on having the tenacity to troubleshoot this problem and execute the repair. People these days are too willing to write off and throw away things that stop working simply because they have stagnant minds and a relatively well-paid job. I personally get far greater satisfaction out of repairing then using something that has been scrapped than I would just buying new.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rill-9129-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 April 2021 at 22:01:05 UTC+1, Qualmby wrote:
Congratulations on having the tenacity to troubleshoot this problem and execute the repair. People these days are too willing to write off and throw away things that stop working simply because they have stagnant minds and a relatively well-paid job. I personally get far greater satisfaction out of repairing then using something that has been scrapped than I would just buying new.

I have my doubts it will still be working somewhere around 18 years later?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2021 22:01, Qualmby wrote:
Congratulations on having the tenacity to troubleshoot this problem and
execute the repair

Congratulations on replying to a post 17 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 11 April 2021 at 22:01:05 UTC+1, Qualmby wrote:
Congratulations on having the tenacity to troubleshoot this problem and

execute the repair. People these days are too willing to write off and
throw away things that stop working simply because they have stagnant minds
and a relatively well-paid job. I personally get far greater satisfaction
out of repairing then using something that has been scrapped than I would
just buying new.

I have my doubts it will still be working somewhere around 18 years later?

I'm not so sure about that, I have a Stayer SDS I bought from Screwfix
about that many years ago and it's still going strong.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is possible that the poster is still monitoring his post...

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rill-9129-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have drills over 50 years old, still going round and BTW the post was about the owner of the drill's tenacity with his problem, not the drill itself. The comment holds true whether the drill has karked or not...

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rill-9129-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Qualmby wrote

It is possible that the poster is still monitoring his post...

Bloody unlikely.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rill-9129-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Senile Sociopath Alert!

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 06:00:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 14:31, Qualmby wrote:
It is possible that the poster is still monitoring his post...

Not if he posted via the Usenet!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Qualmby wrote:
I have drills over 50 years old, still going round and BTW the post was
about the owner of the drill's tenacity with his problem, not the drill
itself. The comment holds true whether the drill has karked or not...

I wouldnt describe fixing a broken flex as one that required great
tenacity. It is literally the first thing you check in any mobile
appliance if its working intermittently.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2021 07:42, Tim+ wrote:
Qualmby wrote:
I have drills over 50 years old, still going round and BTW the post was
about the owner of the drill's tenacity with his problem, not the drill
itself. The comment holds true whether the drill has karked or not...

I wouldnt describe fixing a broken flex as one that required great
tenacity. It is literally the first thing you check in any mobile
appliance if its working intermittently.

Tim

No, you check the battery contacts, dumbo

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/04/2021 07:42, Tim+ wrote:
Qualmby wrote:
I have drills over 50 years old, still going round and BTW the post was
about the owner of the drill's tenacity with his problem, not the drill
itself. The comment holds true whether the drill has karked or not...

I wouldnt describe fixing a broken flex as one that required great
tenacity. It is literally the first thing you check in any mobile
appliance if its working intermittently.

Tim

No, you check the battery contacts, dumbo

Mains drill thicky.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I was referring to mains cable fed
appliances but I thought given the context that was unnecessary.
Apparently not.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
On 13/04/2021 07:42, Tim+ wrote:
Qualmby wrote:
I have drills over 50 years old, still going round and BTW the post was
about the owner of the drill's tenacity with his problem, not the drill
itself. The comment holds true whether the drill has karked or not...

I wouldn‘t describe fixing a broken flex as one that required great
tenacity. It is literally the first thing you check in any mobile
appliance if it‘s working intermittently.

Tim

No, you check the battery contacts, dumbo

Mains drill thicky.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I was referring to mains cable fed
appliances but I thought given the context that was unnecessary.
Apparently not.

Tim

I was taught that the power supply was the first thing to check. What that
power supply is depends on the equipment

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 12/04/2021 14:31, Qualmby wrote:
It is possible that the poster is still monitoring his post...

Not if he posted via the Usenet!

USENET has limited post history maintenance.

Real INN servers have finite disk resources,
and so after a period of time, old messages
scroll out of existence. The server has what
are known as "high-water and low-water marks",
and that's how the client determines which
messages are no longer available for reading.

Google might well have the deepest history of any
INN server. Some of their dejanews archives go back
20-30 years. But the archive is not a complete set,
and it's not 100,000 groups times 30 years of content.

Commercial INN servers (used for movie distribution,
monthly charge for connections), those go back 10-12
years, and can be as hole-filled as Swiss Cheese,
due to DMCA takedown notices. Some USENET posters,
upload 1TB of movies per day, to battle against
the movie industry takedown notices that remove
1TB of movies a day :-) We're talking seriously large
flows of data, something that HomeOwnersHub could not
hold a candle to.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As I remarked in my original post, there are many people who, when faced with a problem of this type would just bin the tool and buy another. To troubleshoot then fix a fault is a skill that is dying out.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rill-9129-.htm

how do I change electric drill chuck? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 16 August 10th 03 12:05 AM
SDS Drill Bit Life Rob UK diy 9 July 21st 03 07:47 PM
Venturi shower pressure problem Mark Trueman UK diy 0 July 19th 03 11:19 AM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM