David W.E. Roberts

Default Problem with Stayer SDS Drill

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
I bought a Stayer SDS drill (PD24) a couple of years ago from
Screwfix, having seen it recommended in quite a few threads on this
group (they don't seem to sell it any more). I've been very happy with
it so far. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a strange
fault. It only works when oriented at certain angles. For example, if
I hold it in the 'normal' upright position, with drill bit horizontal,
and squeeze on the trigger, nothing happens. If I now tilt it
downwards, so the bit is towards the floor, it starts. Tilt it up
again, it stops again. Again, starting from normal position, if I
rotate about the axis of the bit until it is on its side it starts,
but only in one direction (if I rotate the other way it doesn't work).

Any ideas what it might be and how easy it would be to repair?

Does anyone know how easy it is to get these drills serviced?

Assuming the worst and it's not worth repairing, what are the current
recommendations for cheap SDS drills?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian.

Brushes worn out?
My cheapo SDS drill from Homebase came with a spare pair of brushes which
seems to indicate that they are likely to wear out.

HTH
Dave R