Grant

Default Spur off a spur - making it safe?

Hi,

The previous owner of my house has spurred a double socket off an
existing spurred double socket. I understand that this is against the
current regulations as well as being dangerous because of the potential
for excessive load on the cable to the first spur. To make it safe and
legal I think all I need to do is add a 13A FCU before the first spur.
Is this correct? I can't add them to the ring without disturbing a
nicely sanded floor.

I don't suppose there is such a thing as a combined FCU/double socket to
allow me to just replace the faceplate on the first spurred box (haven't
seen anything like this in the shops so I'm guessing not)? Or, will I
need to add a single box and FCU before the first spur?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Grant

Christian McArdle

I don't suppose there is such a thing as a combined FCU/double socket to
allow me to just replace the faceplate on the first spurred box (haven't
seen anything like this in the shops so I'm guessing not)?

There are some triple sockets that have built in fusing. I wonder if a
manufacturer of these has a model with a fused output, as well? It's a very
long shot, though.

Christian.

Lurch

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:55:07 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
scrawled:

I don't suppose there is such a thing as a combined FCU/double socket to
allow me to just replace the faceplate on the first spurred box (haven't
seen anything like this in the shops so I'm guessing not)?

There are some triple sockets that have built in fusing. I wonder if a
manufacturer of these has a model with a fused output, as well? It's a very
long shot, though.

Not that I've seen, although you'd have to knock a triple box in
anyway so while you're at it it would be a lot lot cheaper to just
stick an FCU next to the existing double socket that everything is
spurred from.

I think you can get a double socket and fused spur from someone like
Hamilton but it is a custom made piece of equiopment AFAICR so is
likely to cost a fair whack.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
John

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Why not dig out the old back box and install a double one suitable for two
single plates. Fit one FCU and one single switchsocket. (Unless its
essential you have a twin socket at that point).

Lurch

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:53:17 +0000 (UTC), "John"
scrawled:

Why not dig out the old back box and install a double one suitable for two
single plates. Fit one FCU and one single switchsocket. (Unless its
essential you have a twin socket at that point).

You'd still have to make the hole bigger to do that so you may as well
just stick a switched spur in alongside the existing double socket.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Grant

Christian McArdle wrote:
I don't suppose there is such a thing as a combined FCU/double socket to
allow me to just replace the faceplate on the first spurred box (haven't
seen anything like this in the shops so I'm guessing not)?

There are some triple sockets that have built in fusing. I wonder if a
manufacturer of these has a model with a fused output, as well? It's a very
long shot, though.

Christian.

Would I need one with a fused output? If I make the triple socket the
first spur, wouldn't the fuse in it protect the wire to the first spur
against an overload from the triple itself and the double spurred from
it? Effectively I would be using the fuse in the triple to do the same
job as an FCU. What am I missing here?

Cheers,
Grant
Christian McArdle

Would I need one with a fused output?

Yes. It would share (would have to share) the fuse with its own sockets.

If I make the triple socket the first spur, wouldn't the fuse in it
protect the wire to the first spur

Yes.

against an overload from the triple itself and the double spurred from
it?

Only if it had a fused output. If you spur from its input, then no.

Effectively I would be using the fuse in the triple to do the same
job as an FCU. What am I missing here?

Nothing, except that the accessory might not exist.

Christian.

Lurch

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:20:40 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
scrawled:

Effectively I would be using the fuse in the triple to do the same
job as an FCU. What am I missing here?

Nothing, except that the accessory might not exist.

I think that's the slight, but crucial, downside.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Lazy Post about Cabinet making (with good excuse) Fitz UK diy 3 March 7th 05 07:47 PM
Hot Water Heater not making enough hot water -- Ringo Langly Home Repair 20 March 6th 05 03:38 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM