Ringo Langly

Default Hot Water Heater not making enough hot water --

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem with the hot water in my home, and I'd
love some advice on it. A quick history -- I bought my home 2 years
ago and then the hot water heater (40 gallon electric) was only maybe 1
year old. Last summer the bottom started to leak, and i was greeted to
an inch of water in my hallway one morning. Anyway, it had a 9 year
warrenty from Home Depot, so I took it back and replaced it with a 50
gallon electric hot water heater. It was literally $10 more for the 50
gallon over 40, so figured what the hell. I live by myself, but I hope
to start a family someday.

About about a month after installing the 50 gallon hot water heater I
got a roommate, and that 50 gallon has been working great until two
mornings ago when i went to get a shower and ran out of hot water after
maybe 3 minutes. I asked my roommate if she took a long shower, and
she hadn't -- plus the washing machine nor dishwasher had been running
- this was in the morning before work. Neither of us have changed our
routines, and every morning since she moved in 6 months ago we've had
plenty of hot water to spare.

The water is hot, plenty hot when you use it, but it's just not making
enough. I felt the exit line from the hot water heater and it is warm,
and it has power... is there something that would cause this sucker to
quit making the quantities of hot water it was making? It's in a tray
and such, and there's no water in the tray or the overflow pipe (which
runs to the tray), so it's not leaking.

Any ideas?? This sucker is a pain to replace, so I hate to replace it
again -- but I like my hot showers more

Thanks or any advice or suggestions.

Ringo

1. If you haven't already done so, insulate all the hot water pipes
that you can.
2. Have you ever flushed the hot water heater?
3. It's electric, are you shure both heating elements are working?
Sounds like one of them might have broke.

David Martel

Ringo,

It's possible that there are 2 heating elements in this heater so, if you
are handy, check the lower element. With the power cut off check that there
is continuity across the element. With the power on check for voltage to the
element.
If it's just a single element heater the problem may be in the
thermostat. With the power off spray the thermostat with switch cleaner and
sweep the temp up and down a few times then reset the temp to the correct
temp.
While doing these things check all connections to be sure that they are
tight. Do not shock yourself.

Dave M.

John B

Sounds like your roommate fell in love with your new 50 gallon hot water
tank.
I think you mother objects to your lifestyle, and she is sneaking around
your place at 1 AM, to turn the hot water off. She knows your girlfriend
showers before you, and she is targeting you for a cold hint that the girl
has to go.

"Ringo Langly" wrote
A quick history -- I bought my home 2 years ago

About about a month after installing the 50 gallon hot water heater I
got a roommate, and that 50 gallon has been working great until two
mornings ago when i went to get a shower and ran out of hot water after
maybe 3 minutes. I asked my roommate if she took a long shower, and
she hadn't -- plus the washing machine nor dishwasher had been running
- this was in the morning before work. Neither of us have changed our
routines, and every morning since she moved in 6 months ago we've had
plenty of hot water to spare.

Any ideas?? This sucker is a pain to replace, so I hate to replace it
again -- but I like my hot showers more

Thanks or any advice or suggestions.

Ringo

Travis Jordan

Ringo Langly wrote:
A quick history -- I bought my home 2 years
ago and then the hot water heater (40 gallon electric) was only maybe
1 year old.

Why do you have a hot water heater?

SQLit

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All of the other suggestions are good. However you can not tell if an
element is working just by having power to it. You really need an amp meter
to check it out.

Is it really cold where you are? then the problem may just be in the
settings of the elements. Try raising the settings on the tstats 5-10
degrees. But no higher than 150 F.
The bottom stat should be the lower one. by 5 degrees.

Chances are the bottom element is the problem. Having said that there is
one other suggestion. There is a plastic dip tube on the cold water inlet
connection. It forces the cold water to the bottom forcing the hot water to
the top. (stratifying the water). If this tube is cracked then all of the
incoming water can go to the top reducing the hot water.

This repair takes time and normal hand tools. FIND the dip tube first. I
have never seen them at the Despot. Other wise your going to have to call a
plumber to fix it.
When my dip tube crapped out that is what I did cause I did not have the
time and was tired of cold water in the middle of my shower.

Stormin Mormon

It's possible to be reasonably sure about the lower element, with just a
VOM. Check both for continuity, and getting power. If you have both... it's
likely OK.

Could also be a bad thermostat, or bad sequencer (I think the name for the
more complicated stat at the top element).

Changing dip tube requires to unthread the nipple out of the top of the cold
inlet side, so requires some plumbing skill. The one I did, I installed a
copper union so it would be easier to get it apart the next time. Instead of
just a quick and dirty coupler.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SQLit" wrote in message

[...]

Barrie Hiern

Hey Ringo,

In regards to checking the continuity of the elements you should
have -about - 12 ohms of resistance on your meter for the element
resistance. Also, the thermostats on electrics have little red buttons on
them to reset them when they trip; might have to push one!

Barrie

[...]

John Harlow

Why do you have a hot water heater?

Heh - I always cringe when I hear that.

It's like "preflight planning".

Travis Jordan

John Harlow wrote:
Why do you have a hot water heater?

Heh - I always cringe when I hear that.

It's like "preflight planning".

Good thought....I've done lots of flight planning in my days, and some
preflight inspections, but never any preflight planning grin.

Ringo Langly

Barrie Hiern wrote:
Hey Ringo,

In regards to checking the continuity of the elements you should
have -about - 12 ohms of resistance on your meter for the element
resistance. Also, the thermostats on electrics have little red

buttons on
them to reset them when they trip; might have to push one!

Barrie

Hi everyone ---

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I didn't realize there
were two elements, and that might be it. I'll do some testing, but if
it ends up being the element then I'll just pull the entier unit and
take it back to Home Depot.

As for the comments about my roommate, that's totally off topic and not
appreciative. She is a roommate and friend I've had for most of my
life, so it's rather insulting that some conclude she's a girlfriend or
anything more then a friend just because we share a house. I guess I
should've expected such comments. Usenet isn't the place it once was,
and anyone can post off-topic garbage about anything now'days.

To those who replied with pertinent replies I do appriciate it whole
heartedly, but to the others, please find something better to do with
your time.

Ringo

Kathy

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
oups.com...

As for the comments about my roommate, that's totally off topic and not
appreciative.

This is USENET
If you want to play in this sandbox, grow some skin. You got lucky. Oscar
didn't even stop by with pictures of his girlfriend. There's lots of stuff
to learn here and plenty to _ just _ skip _ over.....
Lighten up a little. Your food will digest better.

Stormin Mormon

"military intelligence"

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Why do you have a hot water heater?

Heh - I always cringe when I hear that.

It's like "preflight planning".

John Harlow

"military intelligence"

That's a supposed oxymoron. A better example would be "the department of
rendundancy department".

"Hot water heater" makes about as much sense as "cold ice maker".

HeyBub

Ringo Langly wrote:

Hi everyone ---

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I didn't realize there
were two elements, and that might be it. I'll do some testing, but if
it ends up being the element then I'll just pull the entier unit and
take it back to Home Depot.

As for the comments about my roommate, that's totally off topic and
not appreciative. She is a roommate and friend I've had for most of
my life, so it's rather insulting that some conclude she's a
girlfriend or anything more then a friend just because we share a
house. I guess I should've expected such comments. Usenet isn't the
place it once was, and anyone can post off-topic garbage about
anything now'days.

You're absolutely right about the locker room comments, the implied
snickering, ribald attempts at humor, and other untoward observations.

Now, back to your problem.

Have you suggested to your roommate that the two of you shower together?

Kathy

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Now, back to your problem.

LOL

Ringo Langly wrote:
Barrie Hiern wrote:
Hey Ringo,

In regards to checking the continuity of the elements you should
have -about - 12 ohms of resistance on your meter for the element
resistance. Also, the thermostats on electrics have little red

buttons on
them to reset them when they trip; might have to push one!

Barrie

Hi everyone ---

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I didn't realize

there
were two elements, and that might be it. I'll do some testing, but

if
it ends up being the element then I'll just pull the entier unit and
take it back to Home Depot.

Remember also that suggestion about the dip tube that keeps the cold
water entering at the bottom of the tank. You didn't sweat (solder) the
fittings near the water inlet, did you? That's a no-no because it melts
the dip tube.

As for the comments about my roommate, that's totally off topic and

not
appreciative.

I think the comments actually may have been appreciative after all:

ap=B7pre=B7cia=B7tive adj.
Capable of or showing appreciation.

ap=B7pre=B7ci=B7a=B7tion n.
1. Recognition of the quality, value, significance, or magnitude of
people and things.

She is a roommate and friend I've had for most of my
life, so it's rather insulting that some conclude she's a girlfriend

or
anything more then a friend just because we share a house.

You may appreciate that in referring to your friend as "roommate", you
implied a certain proximity of sleeping, as in, in the same room. You
may also appreciate that in referring to your roommate as "girlfriend",
others in fact paid you the complement of insinuating that you are
capable of being the object of another's affection.

But now you've gone and shot all that to heck ;-)

I guess I
should've expected such comments. Usenet isn't the place it once

was,
and anyone can post off-topic garbage about anything now'days.

And with your invitation, you might expect more ;-)

To those who replied with pertinent replies I do appriciate it whole
heartedly, but to the others, please find something better to do with
your time.

You mean like reading the advice af people we don't know? ;-)

Oscar_Lives

Is this your room mate: www.tubgirl.com?

To those who replied with pertinent replies I do appriciate it whole
heartedly, but to the others, please find something better to do with
your time.

Ringo

jeffc

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
oups.com...

The water is hot, plenty hot when you use it, but it's just not making
enough. I felt the exit line from the hot water heater and it is warm,
and it has power... is there something that would cause this sucker to
quit making the quantities of hot water it was making?

Probably no big deal. If it's electrical, it probably has 2 heating
elements. One of them is probably gone. It's easily replaced. Take off the
little panel you can unscrew and have a look.

jeffc

"John Harlow" wrote in message
"military intelligence"

That's a supposed oxymoron. A better example would be "the department of
rendundancy department".

"Hot water heater" makes about as much sense as "cold ice maker".

No, the thing makes cold ice. You're thinking of an ice freezer when they
mean water freezer.

jeffc

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I didn't realize there
were two elements, and that might be it. I'll do some testing, but if
it ends up being the element then I'll just pull the entier unit and
take it back to Home Depot.

That is crazy. That's way too much work.

As for the comments about my roommate, that's totally off topic and not
appreciative.

Lighten up Frances.