Stormin Mormon

It's possible to be reasonably sure about the lower element, with just a
VOM. Check both for continuity, and getting power. If you have both... it's
likely OK.

Could also be a bad thermostat, or bad sequencer (I think the name for the
more complicated stat at the top element).

Changing dip tube requires to unthread the nipple out of the top of the cold
inlet side, so requires some plumbing skill. The one I did, I installed a
copper union so it would be easier to get it apart the next time. Instead of
just a quick and dirty coupler.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SQLit" wrote in message

All of the other suggestions are good. However you can not tell if an
element is working just by having power to it. You really need an amp meter
to check it out.

Is it really cold where you are? then the problem may just be in the
settings of the elements. Try raising the settings on the tstats 5-10
degrees. But no higher than 150 F.
The bottom stat should be the lower one. by 5 degrees.

Chances are the bottom element is the problem. Having said that there is
one other suggestion. There is a plastic dip tube on the cold water inlet
connection. It forces the cold water to the bottom forcing the hot water to
the top. (stratifying the water). If this tube is cracked then all of the
incoming water can go to the top reducing the hot water.

This repair takes time and normal hand tools. FIND the dip tube first. I
have never seen them at the Despot. Other wise your going to have to call a
plumber to fix it.
When my dip tube crapped out that is what I did cause I did not have the
time and was tired of cold water in the middle of my shower.