tinklemagoo

Default Tap Connectors Fibre Washers always leak eventually?

Tap Connectors Fibre washers

Problem always leak eventually?

Ok just replaced those dam fibre washers in the 2 kitchen sink taps and now
the bathroom basin hot tap also beginning to drip (Bathroom basin tap less
than year old).

I am sure I fitted them correctly just finger tight then tighten just enough
to stop water leaking (being carefull not to overtighten). Anyone else find
the fibre washers dont last long,
anything I am doing wrong or is this a common problem with fibre washers?

BES page 150
Tap Connectors
Female copper x BSP union nut Washer included

Mike Dodd

tinklemagoo wrote:
Tap Connectors Fibre washers

Problem always leak eventually?

Ok just replaced those dam fibre washers in the 2 kitchen sink taps and now
the bathroom basin hot tap also beginning to drip (Bathroom basin tap less
than year old).

I am sure I fitted them correctly just finger tight then tighten just enough
to stop water leaking (being carefull not to overtighten). Anyone else find
the fibre washers dont last long,
anything I am doing wrong or is this a common problem with fibre washers?

BES page 150
Tap Connectors
Female copper x BSP union nut Washer included

Having just fit some yesterday and having the same problem I find
jointing paste smeared over the thread a minor miracle (I couldn't fit
PTFE since the [bath] taps were within a bloody cm of the wall).

John Rumm

tinklemagoo wrote:

Tap Connectors Fibre washers

Problem always leak eventually?

To be fair I have never had one develop a leak if it did not leak to
start with...

I am sure I fitted them correctly just finger tight then tighten just enough
to stop water leaking (being carefull not to overtighten). Anyone else find

That could be the difference. I do them up tighter than that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mike Dodd no-address@lo0 writes:
Having just fit some yesterday and having the same problem I find
jointing paste smeared over the thread a minor miracle (I couldn't fit
PTFE since the [bath] taps were within a bloody cm of the wall).

Strange, as the thread is not part of the water seal on a tap connector.
If you put it on the washer, I might understand it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Having just fit some yesterday and having the same problem I find
jointing paste smeared over the thread a minor miracle (I couldn't fit
PTFE since the [bath] taps were within a bloody cm of the wall).

Strange, as the thread is not part of the water seal on a tap connector.
If you put it on the washer, I might understand it.

Putting it on the thread may lubricate it enough such that it will do up
that bit tighter with the same amount of torque.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tinklemagoo wrote:
I am sure I fitted them correctly just finger tight then tighten just
enough to stop water leaking (being carefull not to overtighten). Anyone
else find the fibre washers dont last long, anything I am doing wrong or
is this a common problem with fibre washers?

Use some Fernox silicone sealant. Brilliant stuff - although not cheap.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike Dodd

John Rumm wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Having just fit some yesterday and having the same problem I find
jointing paste smeared over the thread a minor miracle (I couldn't
fit PTFE since the [bath] taps were within a bloody cm of the wall).

Strange, as the thread is not part of the water seal on a tap connector.
If you put it on the washer, I might understand it.

Putting it on the thread may lubricate it enough such that it will do up
that bit tighter with the same amount of torque.

Hmmm goes off to remove bath panel to check Nope, still drip free.
Maybe you're right, and its the re-tightening that's cured the problem?

So what is "Threadseal", "Sealing compound for watertight and gas tight
thread connections" for?, is this type of product (PTFE tape, included)
just for compression fittings? Do the flexible, braided tap connectors
rely soley on the fibre/rubber washer?
Michael Mcneil

"tinklemagoo" wrote in message

Do tap fibre washers always leak eventually?

Ok just replaced those dam fibre washers in the 2 kitchen sink taps and now
the bathroom basin hot tap also beginning to drip (Bathroom basin tap less
than year old).

From the fact that this is happening to a lot of your taps I'd say you
have fitted them badly somehow.

There are -or were last time I replaced some, two different types of
washer. one is for the hot tap and the other for the cold. And there are
a variety of sizes too.

What causes replacement washers to fail soon after fitting is worn old
taps wearing out the surface. They do suffer erosion over many years and
even brass can have a very sharp edge in those circumstances.

What can do it to taps just a few years old is detritus in the water.
Such regions are fairly rare these days.

John Rumm

Mike Dodd wrote:

Hmmm goes off to remove bath panel to check Nope, still drip free.
Maybe you're right, and its the re-tightening that's cured the problem?

So what is "Threadseal", "Sealing compound for watertight and gas tight
thread connections" for?, is this type of product (PTFE tape, included)

Its for improving the sealing of connections that need the seal to
operate on the thread itself. Typically malleable iron connections,
taper fit BSP threaded connections (like many gas fittings) etc.

From a sealing point of view, there is no need for such things on
compression fittings that seal with an olive, but there is a secondary
benefit in that it lubricates the threads making it easier to do up (and
dismantle later). That in turn gives you more compressive force on the
olive and less wasted on overcoming friction in the threads.

just for compression fittings? Do the flexible, braided tap connectors
rely soley on the fibre/rubber washer?

Tap connections in general rely on a washer compressed with enough force
to make a seal. The choice of fibre is ideal since it will expand
slightly when wet and hence have a tendency to self heal any minor
leaks. Also the washers don't perish.

--
Cheers,

John.

rrh

Use some Fernox silicone sealant. Brilliant stuff - although not cheap.

Or PlumbaJoint, which is also silicone.

Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:33:02 GMT, "tinklemagoo"
wrote:

| Tap Connectors Fibre washers
|
| Problem always leak eventually?

Yes! tap washers IME have a life of several years, whereas taps have a life
of tens of years.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
Christian McArdle

I am sure I fitted them correctly just finger tight then tighten just
enough
to stop water leaking (being carefull not to overtighten). Anyone else

find
the fibre washers dont last long,

They work just fine. You need to nip them up more.

Christian.

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

the fibre washers dont last long,

They work just fine. You need to nip them up more.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here - I get the feeling some are
talking abut tap washers (i.e. that go inside taps to arrest the flow of
water) rather than the tap *connector* washers we started talking about.

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

the fibre washers dont last long,

They work just fine. You need to nip them up more.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here - I get the feeling some are
talking abut tap washers (i.e. that go inside taps to arrest the flow of
water) rather than the tap *connector* washers we started talking about.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was talking about tap connector washers.

Christian.

Peter Hemmings

Christian McArdle wrote:
the fibre washers dont last long,

They work just fine. You need to nip them up more.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here - I get the feeling some are
talking abut tap washers (i.e. that go inside taps to arrest the flow of
water) rather than the tap *connector* washers we started talking about.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was talking about tap connector washers.

Christian.

I Know this could be dangerous as I do not have the rest of the thread
but....

If the pipe connections are not being strained/twisted when screwing up
the joint then these washers should be OK and last along time.
I tend to try and solder the last joint with the pipe in position so
this is avoided.
If this is too difficult and you don't want to re-plumb, you can get
away with fitting a suitable rubber ring in place of the fibre washer
and some Furnox silicone.
Apologies if this has been covered but I have had some problems with
these joints especially on bottom high pressure feeds to toilets!!

possible gas leak jhughes37 Home Repair 13 April 10th 05 05:12 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Shower leak Dan Harms Home Repair 8 October 21st 03 01:03 AM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM