jhughes37

Default possible gas leak

Hello,

my uncle recently installed a new gas hot water heater.

A day later, I notice a slight odor coming from the furnace room - this
smell was probably there from the start, but no one noticed it. Told
him about it. He went in and sniffed around and said he knows what
natural gas smells like, and didn't smell anything. We did a leak test,
and sure enough there is a small leak at the valve. This particular
valve is old. On one side there is a bolt/screw, if not tightened
enough, it leaks. He tightened it. We did another leak test, and no
bubbles this time, and the smell has gone away.

I went in the next day, and smelled around. Near the gas supply to the
heater (inside the outer door) I smelled something, but didn't know if
it was metal or gas. I did a leak test on all the connections again and
saw no bubbles. Is it normal for there to be an odor in that area? Is
it the metal I am smelling? He thought the previous leak was just the
metal smell, but it was actually gas. Don't know what to do.. all
connections pass the water/soap test. The smell is not detectable
anywhere except within a few inches of where the gas line connects to
the heater. If there is a leak, it's probably very small. Could it be
within the heater, too, where a leak test is not possible? How much gas
would need to be released to cause an explosion? If I installed a gas
detector, would it sound if any gas were present, even tiny amounts?

Also, the valve itself makes contact with the hot water heater, due to
the way the gas pipe is installed. It comes down from the ceiling
diagnally and doesn't quite clear the heater. Is that a code violation?
There is clearly some pressure on the valve.

At this point I am considering calling the city to inspect the
installation and check for leaks. I know he would not be happy about
it, but I am a bit concerned. What should I do?

James

Tim and Steph

At this point I am considering calling the city to inspect the
installation and check for leaks. I know he would not be happy about
it, but I am a bit concerned. What should I do?

Yikes! If there's even the slightest possibilty of a leak, get somebody to
inspect it! I think he'd be a lot less happy if an explosion killed you
and/or leveled your house, don'tcha think?

Joseph Meehan

jhughes37 wrote:
[...]

In most areas the gas company will do the inspection for free. I
strongly suggest it. Gas is safe, but leaks are not.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

m Ransley

The gas co will come out for free, old people often dont smell as well
I got a Nighthawk Ng- Co detector as my folks could not smell a bad
leak. The alarm won`t alarm for anything minor and im sure that is what
it is but you should fix it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"jhughes37" wrote in message

At this point I am considering calling the city to inspect the
installation and check for leaks. I know he would not be happy about
it, but I am a bit concerned. What should I do?

Have it checked.

There is a chance that you are just smelling some residual odor from the
gas, but why take a chance?

"jhughes37" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

my uncle recently installed a new gas hot water heater.

A day later, I notice a slight odor coming from the furnace room - this
smell was probably there from the start, but no one noticed it. Told
him about it. He went in and sniffed around and said he knows what
natural gas smells like, and didn't smell anything. We did a leak test,
and sure enough there is a small leak at the valve. This particular
valve is old. On one side there is a bolt/screw, if not tightened
enough, it leaks. He tightened it. We did another leak test, and no
bubbles this time, and the smell has gone away.

You didnt REPLACE the valve? Cheap $3 insurance and you didnt replace it...
BTW...your nose is NOT a gas detector.

I went in the next day, and smelled around. Near the gas supply to the
heater (inside the outer door) I smelled something, but didn't know if
it was metal or gas. I did a leak test on all the connections again and
saw no bubbles. Is it normal for there to be an odor in that area? Is
it the metal I am smelling? He thought the previous leak was just the
metal smell, but it was actually gas. Don't know what to do.. all
connections pass the water/soap test. The smell is not detectable
anywhere except within a few inches of where the gas line connects to
the heater. If there is a leak, it's probably very small. Could it be
within the heater, too, where a leak test is not possible? How much gas
would need to be released to cause an explosion? If I installed a gas
detector, would it sound if any gas were present, even tiny amounts?

Leak tests are possible if you have the correct tools anywhere.
How much gas is needed to go boom? Not as much as you would like to think.
Gas detectors are helpful, but not worth a damn if you have a problem from
the start.

Also, the valve itself makes contact with the hot water heater, due to
the way the gas pipe is installed. It comes down from the ceiling
diagnally and doesn't quite clear the heater. Is that a code violation?
There is clearly some pressure on the valve.

Dont know..you guys call for an inspection when you installled the heater?

At this point I am considering calling the city to inspect the
installation and check for leaks. I know he would not be happy about
it, but I am a bit concerned. What should I do?

Ok..that answers that...no...you didnt call for inspections.

Plain English here....who gives a damn what he thinks if you have a leak and
they find it?

They will come out, use something a hell of a lot better than the soap and
water test....most use electronic detectors, and they are better at finding
all leaks than soap and water. The "soap and water"that we use to verify or
to do a quick check on leaks actually works better than most concoctions
made up at home, and has added cling incredients added to insure that we get
a good coccoon of bubbles when there is a leak.

Get it checked..if there is a leak, there is no need testing the basement to
see if its explosion proof.

James

m Ransley

If your city requires a permit for water heaters and you did not get
one don`t call the city call the gas Co, Leaks are what the gas Co has
training in. Fines are what the city has training in.

G Henslee

Joseph Meehan wrote:
jhughes37 wrote:

At this point I am considering calling the city to inspect the
installation and check for leaks. I know he would not be happy about
it, but I am a bit concerned. What should I do?

James

In most areas the gas company will do the inspection for free. I
strongly suggest it. Gas is safe, but leaks are not.

I caught a faint smell of gas at the meter a few months ago. One call
to PG&E and they had a guy out in an hour. Sure enough, the old shutoff
valve was leaking. IIRC, when I called they not only had a special 'hot
line' for that type of thing, they were very appreciative that I called.
jhughes37

I appreciate everyones help.

He did not get a permit. It wasn't until after installation that we
found out one was required.

He now knows he should have had one before doing anything. Is it too
late to get a permit now? He wants to get the permit and have the
installation inspected. Will they find out the heater was installed
without a permit and issue a fine?

in order to replace the valve, the outside gas must be turned off, and
he'd have to make some cuts in the pipe. He won't do this until we have
a permit.

I don't think there is a leak, but not taking any chances.The gas is
provided by the local utilities department. On their web page there is
a number to call if you suspect a leak. If they come out, what happens?

James

Edwin Pawlowski

"jhughes37" wrote in message
oups.com...

On their web page there is
a number to call if you suspect a leak. If they come out, what happens?

If no leak he will just leave.l If there is a leak the gas will be turned
off until the leak is repaired. Years ago, the gas company in my city used
to fix minor leaks on the spot, but that was many years ago and things may
have changed.

stretch

It is not a good idea to have any strain on the piping or gas valve.
That can cause a leak. It can also cause the thermostatic automatic
valve on the water heater to malfunction, which could just be a
nuisance or could actually be dangerous. Pipe strain also violates
code. See Section 407.2 of the International Fuel Gas Code. It is
not a good idea to use real soap and water to test for leaks. Soap is
corrosive to the piping over the long haul. If you did use soap, wash
off the joints with plain water. We use stuff that is non-corrosive.
The pipes should all be square, level and plumb. Diagonal piping is
often frowned on by local gas companies. In addition, I hope your
uncle installed a drip leg (sediment trap) on the gas line where it
connects to the water heater, as it protects the gas valve from dirt
and scale. It is also required by code (Section 408.4 of the
International Fuel Gas Code).

Stretch

The Real Tom

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:28:57 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"jhughes37" wrote in message
roups.com...

On their web page there is
a number to call if you suspect a leak. If they come out, what happens?

If no leak he will just leave.l If there is a leak the gas will be turned
off until the leak is repaired. Years ago, the gas company in my city used
to fix minor leaks on the spot, but that was many years ago and things may
have changed.

Just piping in with my neighbor's experience. He smelt gas, he called
the gas company, the gas company verified he had a leak(around the
furnace supply), they shut him off at the street. They said when he
fixes it, they will return to turn him back on. Have a nice day.

So, I'm guessing unless you have some 'service plan' they don't
volunteer to help you.

tom
Edwin Pawlowski

"The Real Tom" tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com wrote in message
Just piping in with my neighbor's experience. He smelt gas, he called
the gas company, the gas company verified he had a leak(around the
furnace supply), they shut him off at the street. They said when he
fixes it, they will return to turn him back on. Have a nice day.

So, I'm guessing unless you have some 'service plan' they don't
volunteer to help you.

tom

In our town we had a gas explosion a few weeks ago. Homeowner smelled gas
and called the gas company. Inspector came out, probed the ground and
punctured a high pressure line. Minutes later the house exploded and also
took out half of the house on either side of it. (no one injured)

Rare that it happens, but it can and does. Original leak was caused by an
accident with a dump container in the yard. My end of town does not have
gas but I sure with it did. I miss having gas appliances.

stretch

Just piping in with my neighbor's experience. He smelt gas, he called
the gas company, the gas company verified he had a leak(around the
furnace supply), they shut him off at the street. They said when he
fixes it, they will return to turn him back on. Have a nice day.

So, I'm guessing unless you have some 'service plan' they don't
volunteer to help you.

It depends on the gas company. They all have different policies. When
I was in western Pennsylvania, we had 3 local gas companies. They all
had different policies.

Stretch

HELP... water leak at base of toilet when showering Steve Home Repair 11 February 22nd 18 05:29 PM
water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 06:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM