Ben Willcox

Default Building regs question.

Hi All,

Just thought I'd get some advice here before I speak to the local BCO -
I'm planning convert a 'basement' room and I'm unsure whether I need to
submit a building regulations notice.
The house is a bungalow, and is built on a slope so there is a room
underneath the front half of the house that is at ground level at that
point, and that rooms only entrance is from outside. When we bought the
house (about 9 months ago) it was described as a 'garden room', and is
completely unfinished, with just bare ceiling joists and block walls.
Basically I want to divide the room into two with a stud wall and door,
and plaster the walls and ceiling to make it into a separate cinema room
and games room. There are two windows in the room now, and when
separated would leave one window in each room.

Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning
Permission, and secondly is this work likely to require a building
notice to be submitted?

Now, even if the changes above won't require a building regs notice, I
plan to replace the existing french doors, and windows at some point,
and I understand that I would need to submit a notice for those in any
case. As it's likely that I'll want to replace some windows in the rest
of the house at some point, as well as do a whole load of wiring that
now comes under Part P, and maybe other stuff too, wouldn't it make
sense to submit a building regs notice for everything I can possibly
think I might want to do, so I only pay the fee once instead of every
time I want to do some work? As far as I can tell there is only a time
limit on starting the works, and not on finishing?

Thanks,
Ben
in2minds

Just thought I'd get some advice here before I speak to the local
BCO - I'm planning convert a 'basement' room and I'm unsure whether I
need to submit a building regulations notice.

if it involves structural or other work requiring completion certificate
by BR

The house is a bungalow, and is built on a slope so there is a room
underneath the front half of the house that is at ground level at that
point, and that rooms only entrance is from outside. When we bought
the house (about 9 months ago) it was described as a 'garden room',
and is completely unfinished, with just bare ceiling joists and block
walls.

as was ours

Basically I want to divide the room into two with a stud wall and
door, and plaster the walls and ceiling to make it into a separate
cinema room and games room. There are two windows in the room now, and
when separated would leave one window in each room.

each window will need to be a minimum size for escape purposes, can't
remember off hand what that is but it's no that big

Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning
Permission,

ours didn't because it is within the building, it was originally bare
with no floor or ceiling

and secondly is this work likely to require a building notice to be
submitted?

not sure, we did because I was removing a supporting wall to enlarge the
basement
btw, if you're putting in downlighters make sure you get the ones with
the built on fire proof shroud, cost me an extra £500 just for the
shrouds

Now, even if the changes above won't require a building regs notice, I
plan to replace the existing french doors, and windows at some point,
and I understand that I would need to submit a notice for those in any
case.

you'll need planning permission for windows

As it's likely that I'll want to replace some windows in the rest of
the house at some point, as well as do a whole load of wiring that now
comes under Part P, and maybe other stuff too, wouldn't it make sense
to submit a building regs notice for everything I can possibly think I
might want to do, so I only pay the fee once instead of every time I
want to do some work?

maybe, depends on the charges set by your planning office, they should
be on the form
it may be better to break it down into smaller jobs with lower estimated
costs per job. I (optomistically) submitted a cost of £3.1k, and paid
£120 istead of £300+, the job worked out at £5.5k in the end that would
have taken me to the higher payment

As far as I can tell there is only a time limit on starting the works,
and not on finishing?

I'm pretty sure the BCO said it's 3 or 5 years to start the work but no
limit on finishing
I started 18 months after submitting building consent

Ben Willcox

Owain wrote:
Ben Willcox wrote:
Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning
Permission,

Possibly, it depends on whether the room is currently regarded as
habitable space. The euphemism of 'garden room' and the fact the room is
unfinished suggests that it isn't, and PP may be required. You should
get a Certificate of Permitted Development from the council if PP is not
required, to prove that you complied with everything.

Thanks Owain. My situation seems to be very similar to 'in2minds' post,
so think I should be alright on that front.

and secondly is this work likely to require a building

notice to be submitted?

Yes, certainly. Subdividing a room is notifiable work. You may also have
to comply with insulation (thermal and noise), ventilation, means of
escape, etc.

OK, sounds pretty clear cut and I can't say I'm surprised.

wouldn't it make sense
to submit a building regs notice for everything I can possibly think I
might want to do, so I only pay the fee once instead of every time I
want to do some work?

Yes, but you will not be able to get a completion certificate until
*all* the works are completed. If you were thinking this could take a
couple of years, and you found you had to sell in a hurry (work-related
move, perhaps) you'd have the hassle of revising the application or
completeing all the work, to get the completion certificate to please
any potential buyer.

Ok I imagined this might be the case. I don't plan to move in the
forseeable future, so I'm not too worried about the timescale for the
completion certificate.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben Willcox

in2minds wrote:

Basically I want to divide the room into two with a stud wall and
door, and plaster the walls and ceiling to make it into a separate
cinema room and games room. There are two windows in the room now, and
when separated would leave one window in each room.

each window will need to be a minimum size for escape purposes, can't
remember off hand what that is but it's no that big

Both windows are quite large, so I can't see that being a problem. At
one point I had considered maybe blocking up the window in the cinema
room permanently, but I think that won't be acceptable for the reason
you mention.

Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning
Permission,

ours didn't because it is within the building, it was originally bare
with no floor or ceiling

OK great, ours is the same.

not sure, we did because I was removing a supporting wall to enlarge the
basement
btw, if you're putting in downlighters make sure you get the ones with
the built on fire proof shroud, cost me an extra £500 just for the
shrouds

Thanks for the advice. I've already decided not to use any in-ceiling
downlighters as I don't want to compromise the integrity of the
soundproofing, as there will be a lot of noise down there!

you'll need planning permission for windows

AIUI if I'm replacing like-for-like PP wouldn't be necessary. Or am I wrong?

maybe, depends on the charges set by your planning office, they should
be on the form
it may be better to break it down into smaller jobs with lower estimated
costs per job. I (optomistically) submitted a cost of £3.1k, and paid
£120 istead of £300+, the job worked out at £5.5k in the end that would
have taken me to the higher payment

Ah I will bear that in mind!

Cheers,
Ben

Compliance with building regs Mark Spice UK diy 20 December 9th 04 10:52 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Building regs re new structures troubleinstore UK diy 14 May 27th 04 08:59 AM
Adherence to Building Regs... or not? Lobster UK diy 14 January 24th 04 09:15 AM
Question about building a drawer Melissa Woodworking 5 January 2nd 04 06:24 PM