Ben Willcox

in2minds wrote:

Basically I want to divide the room into two with a stud wall and
door, and plaster the walls and ceiling to make it into a separate
cinema room and games room. There are two windows in the room now, and
when separated would leave one window in each room.

each window will need to be a minimum size for escape purposes, can't
remember off hand what that is but it's no that big

Both windows are quite large, so I can't see that being a problem. At
one point I had considered maybe blocking up the window in the cinema
room permanently, but I think that won't be acceptable for the reason
you mention.

Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning
Permission,

ours didn't because it is within the building, it was originally bare
with no floor or ceiling

OK great, ours is the same.

not sure, we did because I was removing a supporting wall to enlarge the
basement
btw, if you're putting in downlighters make sure you get the ones with
the built on fire proof shroud, cost me an extra £500 just for the
shrouds

Thanks for the advice. I've already decided not to use any in-ceiling
downlighters as I don't want to compromise the integrity of the
soundproofing, as there will be a lot of noise down there!

you'll need planning permission for windows

AIUI if I'm replacing like-for-like PP wouldn't be necessary. Or am I wrong?

maybe, depends on the charges set by your planning office, they should
be on the form
it may be better to break it down into smaller jobs with lower estimated
costs per job. I (optomistically) submitted a cost of £3.1k, and paid
£120 istead of £300+, the job worked out at £5.5k in the end that would
have taken me to the higher payment

Ah I will bear that in mind!

Cheers,
Ben