Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ben Willcox

Default Building regs question.

Hi All,

Just thought I'd get some advice here before I speak to the local BCO -
I'm planning convert a 'basement' room and I'm unsure whether I need to
submit a building regulations notice.
The house is a bungalow, and is built on a slope so there is a room
underneath the front half of the house that is at ground level at that
point, and that rooms only entrance is from outside. When we bought the
house (about 9 months ago) it was described as a 'garden room', and is
completely unfinished, with just bare ceiling joists and block walls.
Basically I want to divide the room into two with a stud wall and door,
and plaster the walls and ceiling to make it into a separate cinema room
and games room. There are two windows in the room now, and when
separated would leave one window in each room.

Firstly, would this be classed as 'change of use' and require Planning
Permission, and secondly is this work likely to require a building
notice to be submitted?

Now, even if the changes above won't require a building regs notice, I
plan to replace the existing french doors, and windows at some point,
and I understand that I would need to submit a notice for those in any
case. As it's likely that I'll want to replace some windows in the rest
of the house at some point, as well as do a whole load of wiring that
now comes under Part P, and maybe other stuff too, wouldn't it make
sense to submit a building regs notice for everything I can possibly
think I might want to do, so I only pay the fee once instead of every
time I want to do some work? As far as I can tell there is only a time
limit on starting the works, and not on finishing?

Thanks,
Ben

Compliance with building regs Mark Spice UK diy 20 December 9th 04 10:52 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Building regs re new structures troubleinstore UK diy 14 May 27th 04 08:59 AM
Adherence to Building Regs... or not? Lobster UK diy 14 January 24th 04 09:15 AM
Question about building a drawer Melissa Woodworking 5 January 2nd 04 06:24 PM