Tim Smith

Default masking tape on laminate worktop

Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Tim

Sparks

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

I normally use meths to clean smeg from labels off of things, or lighter
fuel.

Sparks...

S Viemeister

Tim Smith wrote:

Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

It sounds odd, but sprinkling sugar on the vegetable oil, then rubbing
firmly with a cloth, works quite well. The sugar is just abrasive enough
(but softer than the surface) to shift the adhesive, and the oil stops it
from sticking again.

Sheila
Tim Smith

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Tim Smith wrote:

Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving
marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

It sounds odd, but sprinkling sugar on the vegetable oil, then rubbing
firmly with a cloth, works quite well. The sugar is just abrasive enough
(but softer than the surface) to shift the adhesive, and the oil stops it
from sticking again.

Sheila

Thanks, Ill try those suggestions.

I did find that CIF (or JIF or whatever its called now) works but it is slow
going.

Incidentally, my wife is South African and apparently the word CIF in
Afrikaans means dirt, filth or "minging". She finds it hilarious that she
could take a bottle back home and clean her house with filth !

Thanks agian,

Tim

Eric The Viking

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving
marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Tim

You could try surgical spirit if you happen to have any...

ETV

Derek ^

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:04:43 +0100, "Tim Smith"
wrote:

Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

I clean control desks and where customers have put up little reminder
notes months previous often all the solvent has long gone just left a
crust of adhesive. I find "Label cleaner" made by electrolube,
available at Maplins, applied at 20 minutes intervals a few times
softens it to the extent it can then either be scraped off with a
thumbnail or attacked by an aqueous surface cleaner.

DG
ben

wrote:

[...]

Heh! you must be there all day? Meths or surgical alcohol will get shut in
seconds with a light rub. cheaper as well.

Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:04:43 +0100, Tim Smith wrote:

I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving marks.

Acetone.

Note that Jif (or its much inferior replacement, Cif) will scratch the
surface, despite what it says on the tin.

--
Nigel M
David Hearn

Tim Smith wrote:

[...]

It also seems ironic that they renamed it to CIF from JIF as apparently
some European countries had difficulty with the J (and they wanted a
common name throughout markets). Obviously they didn't think globally...

David Hearn

Tim Smith wrote:
Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Tim

Now that it matters now, but most masking tape says to remove within 24
hours or so, and you can buy more expensive ones which can be left
longer (28 days or so I think).

One other thing not to do with masking tape - put it on the feed/return
pipes directly above the boiler. I did this to use an IR thermometer on
them as the bare copper was too reflective to give accurate readings.
Consequently, 1 year later they're stuck and dried solid. I'm sure
I'll found a suitable tu-it sometime.

Steven Campbell

"David Hearn" wrote in message
Tim Smith wrote:
Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving

marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Tim

I've found Tim Clean from Asaka which is a CPU & Heatsink cleaner cleans
absolutely anything.
It is a citrus based solvent and hasn't harmed anything I have put it on.

I've had to start to hide my bottle as my wife has started to use it for the
odd bit of housework ;o)

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...03&GroupID=355

Steven.

fred

In article ,
Steven Campbell writes

Tim Smith wrote:
[...]

CPU cleaner, now I've seen everything, my fave in this arena is citrus
cleaner for snowboards (Red brand incidentally), used to deep clean wax
out of the pores in the base. Store with caution as contact with spotty
youths has been known to cause them to shrivel to nothing shame.
--
fred
Stuart

wrote:

Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Tim

You could try WD40 .
Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Derek ^

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:45:44 GMT, "ben" wrote:

I clean control desks and where customers have put up little reminder
notes months previous often all the solvent has long gone just left a
crust of adhesive. I find "Label cleaner" made by electrolube,
available at Maplins, applied at 20 minutes intervals a few times
softens it to the extent it can then either be scraped off with a
thumbnail or attacked by an aqueous surface cleaner.

DG

Heh! you must be there all day?

I am paid by the hour ;-) ...

But I'm allowed 2 hours to clean 2x 250 feet of transparent conveyor
belt to medical diagnostic imaging standards. The clean up of the
control desk area is a bonus for the users.

Meths or surgical alcohol will get shut in seconds with a light rub.

I have the label cleaner with me, gallons of it, as meths just makes a
purple dyed pudding (which then gets dirty) of the other adhesive
residues I have to deal with, ones where the adhesive hasn't dried
out/fossilised. In these cases it is also vastly superior to (much
faster than) ethanol or isopropanol.

Although I have to agree meths has worked for me on masking tape
residues at home. But sparks had already suggested it.

cheaper as well.

I *like* label remover, the customers like the smell, so they remember
my visit favourably. It has a higher molecular weight and evaporates
more slowly, reducing the need to re-moisten. So I damp the adhesive
residues with it first and then come back to them after 20 mins,
plenty of other things to do, moistening with it again if necessary.

Once t' job's a good 'un, wiping over with an isopropanol swab, or "RS
electronic cleaning spray plus" removes all traces of the oily label
cleaner.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim Smith, Mr Whyles wrote:
Stuart - had the same issue and found a solution - real hot water worked then
i found a tape from Walther Strong - its Orange and called something like
Cleanroom Construction tape - leaves not residue and worked very well,

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...op-186354-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2018 12:14, Mr Whyles wrote:
replying to Tim Smith, Mr Whyles wrote:
Stuart - had the same issue and found a solution - real hot water worked
then
i found a tape from Walther Strong - its Orange and called something like
Cleanroom Construction tape - leaves not residue and worked very well,

Clueless spammer using a ridiculous parasitic web portal to respond to a
post from August 23rd.... 2005!

Best of all worlds, really!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:14:02 GMT, Mr Whyles
m coalesced the
vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

replying to Tim Smith, Mr Whyles wrote:
Stuart - had the same issue and found a solution - real hot water worked then
i found a tape from Walther Strong - its Orange and called something like
Cleanroom Construction tape - leaves not residue and worked very well,

I suppose when your company's net worth is less than the cleaners
salary your, marketing budget is unlikely to stretch further than
Newsgroup spamming
https://tinyurl.com/y83dnm5t
https://tinyurl.com/y83dnm5t
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2018 13:41, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:14:02 GMT, Mr Whyles
m coalesced the
vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

replying to Tim Smith, Mr Whyles wrote:
Stuart - had the same issue and found a solution - real hot water worked then
i found a tape from Walther Strong - its Orange and called something like
Cleanroom Construction tape - leaves not residue and worked very well,

I suppose when your company's net worth is less than the cleaners
salary your, marketing budget is unlikely to stretch further than
Newsgroup spamming
https://tinyurl.com/y83dnm5t
https://tinyurl.com/y83dnm5t

Its quite difficult from that to discern the profit and incomes. Anyone
operating a small company with net worth has paid more corporation tax
than necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:57:23 +0000, Fredxx
[...]

I have no doubt that's perfectly true, but only someone on the
autistic spectrum would post it at this particular juncture.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2018 14:05, Graham. wrote:
[...]

I could say the same for someone who troubled to search out the accounts
in the first place.

And then more, for being critical when shown these numbers are a poor
indicator of company performance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the guy or whoever partly wrote that portal should have prevented it
dredging up old posts then shoving the date in a silly place on the page
just to make sure.

is there a web designer version of dyslexia?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
On 08/01/2018 12:14, Mr Whyles wrote:
replying to Tim Smith, Mr Whyles wrote:
Stuart - had the same issue and found a solution - real hot water worked
then
i found a tape from Walther Strong - its Orange and called something like
Cleanroom Construction tape - leaves not residue and worked very well,

Clueless spammer using a ridiculous parasitic web portal to respond to a
post from August 23rd.... 2005!

Best of all worlds, really!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 15:08:40 +0000, Fredxx
[...]

The idea was to ensure that their spam was met a derogatory remark, in
an attempt to discourage the former.
It wasn't intended to encourage another legitimate poster to discuss
the accuracy of the denigration.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%