David Hearn

Tim Smith wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote in message

Tim Smith wrote:

Hi

Several months ago I masked an area of the worktop in our bathroom in
preparation to cut out the whole for a sink.

For various reasons, I didnt quite finish this and have now got round to
doing it. I have tried to take off teh masking tape and it is leaving
marks.

I cant tell whether this marks is adhesive or whether it has actually
damaged the surface of teh worktop but the usual bathroom cleaners and
vegetable oil havent moved it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

It sounds odd, but sprinkling sugar on the vegetable oil, then rubbing
firmly with a cloth, works quite well. The sugar is just abrasive enough
(but softer than the surface) to shift the adhesive, and the oil stops it
from sticking again.

Sheila

Thanks, Ill try those suggestions.

I did find that CIF (or JIF or whatever its called now) works but it is slow
going.

Incidentally, my wife is South African and apparently the word CIF in
Afrikaans means dirt, filth or "minging". She finds it hilarious that she
could take a bottle back home and clean her house with filth !

It also seems ironic that they renamed it to CIF from JIF as apparently
some European countries had difficulty with the J (and they wanted a
common name throughout markets). Obviously they didn't think globally...