raden

Default Ping pong balls - the fixing of!

In message , dave
writes
How do you get the two halfs of a ping pong ball back together again after
prising them apart? This is a serious question - my kids want to know!

I think the best answer is that you don't. Even if you tried, you'd end
up with a bit of a naff, unbalanced sphere with no bounce

Aren't they made of some form of cellulose? - they burn well, that will
entertain them for a few minutes

You could always give them a golf ball to unravel, that would last a few
minutes more

--
geoff

Rivets, obviously.

Iron snap-heads for preference

Paul Andrews

"dave" wrote in message
How do you get the two halfs of a ping pong ball back together again after
prising them apart? This is a serious question - my kids want to know!

Fill with concrete then marry both halves together..

Mr Fizzion

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:47:21 GMT, dave wrote:

How do you get the two halfs of a ping pong ball back together again after
prising them apart? This is a serious question - my kids want to know!

Use as lampshades for very bright LEDs?

John Schmitt

raden wrote:

How do you get the two halfs of a ping pong ball back together again
after
prising them apart? This is a serious question - my kids want to know!

I think the best answer is that you don't. Even if you tried, you'd end
up with a bit of a naff, unbalanced sphere with no bounce

The balls are moulded monolithically, and repair is not really feasible.

Aren't they made of some form of cellulose? - they burn well, that will
entertain them for a few minutes

Celluloid. This is based on cellulose nitrate, which as you say burns
like blinko. Very old film stock was made of celluloid and if it jammed
in the projector was prone to ignite from the heat of the lamp. A number
of accidents in cinemas occurred, probably the most heart-breaking being
the incident in Paisley.

http://www.glencinema.org.uk/

Nitrate Stock film is also unstable and slowly turns to dust, an ongoing
problem for the National Film Archive. It can also combust
spontaneously. They are transferring what is left onto acetate stock
which is non-flammable but also temporally unstable. The degradation is
auto-catalytic, the acetic acid released hastening the degradation.

You could always give them a golf ball to unravel, that would last a few
minutes more

Beware! The bladder at the core contains fluid at high pressure and
puncturing this can result in injury. Not being a spoilsport, but I
remember a rained-off Wednesday (sports day) afternoon when my class,
out of boredom, proceeded to dismantle a golf ball. Someone stuck a
compass into the core and the goo inside easily made the ceiling.
Shooting yourself in the eyes with that will at best be very unpleasant.

To provide hours of fun, buy a cat and a supply of ping-pong balls. An
alternative way to entertain both the children and the cat is a laser
pointer, but be sure the children do not point it into the cat's eyes
but merely give it something to chase. I don't think this is animal
cruelty, cats like to chase things and if the become bored they will
give up and probably take a pre-prandial nap, as they are wont to do.

John Schmitt

Rob Morley

In article , "John Schmitt" John49
@mdx.ac.uk says...
snip
To provide hours of fun, buy a cat

Does anyone buy non-pedigree cats? In my experience they just turn
up one day and decide to move in.
John Laird

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:02:29 +0100, John Schmitt wrote:

raden wrote:

You could always give them a golf ball to unravel, that would last a few
minutes more

Beware! The bladder at the core contains fluid at high pressure and
puncturing this can result in injury. Not being a spoilsport, but I
remember a rained-off Wednesday (sports day) afternoon when my class,
out of boredom, proceeded to dismantle a golf ball. Someone stuck a
compass into the core and the goo inside easily made the ceiling.
Shooting yourself in the eyes with that will at best be very unpleasant.

You'll be doing well to find a "wound" golf ball these days, and even then
there's little guarantee it would have an old-fashioned liquid centre. All
are solid construction, one way or another.

The goo was only under pressure due to the rubber wound around it. If you
removed all of that, only a fairly floppy sack remained.

[Sign of mis-spent youth. I'll get me coat.]

--
I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel

raden

In message , John Schmitt
writes

You could always give them a golf ball to unravel, that would last a
few minutes more

Beware! The bladder at the core contains fluid at high pressure and
puncturing this can result in injury. Not being a spoilsport, but I
remember a rained-off Wednesday (sports day) afternoon when my class,
out of boredom, proceeded to dismantle a golf ball. Someone stuck a
compass into the core and the goo inside easily made the ceiling.
Shooting yourself in the eyes with that will at best be very unpleasant.

Castor oil IIRC (at least acco4rding to the quiz in one of the
Indonesian chatrooms)

We used to pull them apart as kids - I don't remember any injuries

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John Schmitt
writes

You could always give them a golf ball to unravel, that would last a few
minutes more

Beware! The bladder at the core contains fluid at high pressure and
puncturing this can result in injury. Not being a spoilsport, but I
remember a rained-off Wednesday (sports day) afternoon when my class, out
of boredom, proceeded to dismantle a golf ball. Someone stuck a compass
into the core and the goo inside easily made the ceiling. Shooting
yourself in the eyes with that will at best be very unpleasant.

Castor oil IIRC (at least acco4rding to the quiz in one of the Indonesian
chatrooms)

We used to pull them apart as kids - I don't remember any injuries

Had golf been invented then?

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John Schmitt
writes

You could always give them a golf ball to unravel, that would last a few
minutes more

Beware! The bladder at the core contains fluid at high pressure and
puncturing this can result in injury. Not being a spoilsport, but I
remember a rained-off Wednesday (sports day) afternoon when my class, out
of boredom, proceeded to dismantle a golf ball. Someone stuck a compass
into the core and the goo inside easily made the ceiling. Shooting
yourself in the eyes with that will at best be very unpleasant.

Castor oil IIRC (at least acco4rding to the quiz in one of the Indonesian
chatrooms)

We used to pull them apart as kids - I don't remember any injuries

Had golf been invented then?

Watch it grandma !

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

We used to pull them apart as kids - I don't remember any injuries

Had golf been invented then?

Watch it grandma !

Well, in 1764 weplayed at St Andrews but I was but a youngster, golf had
been played for some time before then - you might know more about it than I
do ...

Mary

--
geoff

Rod

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
. net:

"raden" wrote in message

We used to pull them apart as kids - I don't remember any injuries

Had golf been invented then?

Watch it grandma !

Well, in 1764 weplayed at St Andrews but I was but a youngster, golf
had been played for some time before then - you might know more about
it than I do ...

Was that the 22 hole course?

--
Rod

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

We used to pull them apart as kids - I don't remember any injuries

Had golf been invented then?

Watch it grandma !

Well, in 1764 weplayed at St Andrews but I was but a youngster, golf had
been played for some time before then - you might know more about it than I
do ...

In this case, I will defer to my elders

--
geoff
John Schmitt

raden wrote:

[golf ball cores - this thread is veering past OT!]

Castor oil IIRC (at least acco4rding to the quiz in one of the
Indonesian chatrooms)

I have a dim and distant memory of honey being one of the fillings,
although the web tells me that corn syrup (a sort of US golden syrup
type thing) and saline were used. It appears that the liquid filling
made the ball more stable, although solid cores made for longer strokes,
i.e. further into the rough.

http://www.learnaboutgolf.com/beginner/balltypes.html

will provide the relevant information for those who have not yet died of
boredom.

At some point I might actually have the combination of enough money and
enough leisure time simultaneously to take up the sport. A man can
dream, can he not?

John Schmitt

John Schmitt

Huge wrote:

[golf]

Serves you right for playing the world's dullest game. )

Are you aware that you can now watch televised *fishing*? Compared with
that, removing artex carries a certain appeal.

John Schmitt

Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message

Unlike golf, which has none. A walk in the country, spoiled. Or a walk in
the spoiled country, either will do.

Both unoriginal.

Mary Fisher

"Rod" wrote in message
. 4...

Well, in 1764 weplayed at St Andrews but I was but a youngster, golf
had been played for some time before then - you might know more about
it than I do ...

Was that the 22 hole course?

Eleven out, eleven in, that's (um gets out abacus) YES! Twenty two. But ...
'WAS???'

Mary

John Schmitt

Mary Fisher wrote:

(golf)

[It's terribly wasteful of land, I'll admit. But looking at what farmers
get up to as so-called custodians, I won't feel too guilty.]

I think it's a good use of land. Our Glorious Leader's Sidekick would have
thousands of rabbit hutches built on them at a stroke, given the chance.

I remember walking along a right of way which crossed a golf course. I
actually found a lost ball, I knew it was lost because the guy was
searching for it.

John Schmitt

Owain

John Schmitt wrote:
At some point I might actually have the combination of enough money and
enough leisure time simultaneously to take up the sport. A man can
dream, can he not?

Ach, it's just a nice walk, spoilt.

Owain

Owain

John Laird wrote:
[It's terribly wasteful of land, I'll admit. But looking at what farmers
get up to as so-called custodians, I won't feel too guilty.]

It's a fine use for Highland land that's too bumpy to put a craft centre
on, and not bumpy enough for a ski centre.

Owain

Owain

John Schmitt wrote:
I remember walking along a right of way which crossed a golf course. I
actually found a lost ball, I knew it was lost because the guy was
searching for it.

That was fortunate, I hope you handed it in at the club house.

Owain

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think it's a good use of land. Our Glorious Leader's Sidekick would have
thousands of rabbit hutches built on them at a stroke, given the chance.
It's green, it's well maintained, it's good for wildlife, it's not
objectionable to look at. The clubs afford pleasure to some and employment
to many both directly and indirectly.

That is very true, and there are few enough green spaces in urban areas,
especially as school playing fields are being sold off for housing.

Anyway these days if your house backs on to a school you probably have
to have frosted glass on all the windows or be labelled a peedofile, innit.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"John Schmitt" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

(golf)

[It's terribly wasteful of land, I'll admit. But looking at what farmers
get up to as so-called custodians, I won't feel too guilty.]

I think it's a good use of land. Our Glorious Leader's Sidekick would
have thousands of rabbit hutches built on them at a stroke, given the
chance.

I remember walking along a right of way which crossed a golf course. I
actually found a lost ball, I knew it was lost because the guy was
searching for it.

Do you know the story of the butcher who displayed a couple of golf balls in
his window?

Mary

John Schmitt

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message

Anyway these days if your house backs on to a school you probably have to
have frosted glass on all the windows or be labelled a peedofile, innit.

You've just reminded me of another reason I'm glad to live in this area. No
schools for half a mile around.

No golf course either but sacrifices have to be made ...

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
John Laird wrote:
[It's terribly wasteful of land, I'll admit. But looking at what farmers
get up to as so-called custodians, I won't feel too guilty.]

It's a fine use for Highland land that's too bumpy to put a craft centre
on, and not bumpy enough for a ski centre.

Not cold enough either, these days ...

Mary

Owain

raden

In message , John Schmitt
writes
raden wrote:

[golf ball cores - this thread is veering past OT!]

Castor oil IIRC (at least acco4rding to the quiz in one of the
Indonesian chatrooms)

I have a dim and distant memory of honey being one of the fillings,
although the web tells me that corn syrup (a sort of US golden syrup
type thing) and saline were used. It appears that the liquid filling
made the ball more stable, although solid cores made for longer
strokes, i.e. further into the rough.

http://www.learnaboutgolf.com/beginner/balltypes.html

will provide the relevant information for those who have not yet died
of boredom.

At some point I might actually have the combination of enough money and
enough leisure time simultaneously to take up the sport. A man can
dream, can he not?

I got a hole in one on my 6th time out (Absolute sheer fluke of course)
then got bored and haven't played since

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

(golf)

[It's terribly wasteful of land, I'll admit. But looking at what farmers
get up to as so-called custodians, I won't feel too guilty.]

I think it's a good use of land. Our Glorious Leader's Sidekick would
have thousands of rabbit hutches built on them at a stroke, given the
chance.

I remember walking along a right of way which crossed a golf course. I
actually found a lost ball, I knew it was lost because the guy was
searching for it.

Do you know the story of the butcher who displayed a couple of golf balls in
his window?

Was there a hole in one ?

--
geoff
Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
You've just reminded me of another reason I'm glad to live in this area. No
schools for half a mile around.
No golf course either but sacrifices have to be made ...

And you're quite close to Harrogate which is about the second best place
to live in the country, according to Channel 4 last night.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

Do you know the story of the butcher who displayed a couple of golf balls
in
his window?

Was there a hole in one ?

No, a customer asked if he'd killed a golf.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
You've just reminded me of another reason I'm glad to live in this area.
No schools for half a mile around.
No golf course either but sacrifices have to be made ...

And you're quite close to Harrogate which is about the second best place
to live in the country, according to Channel 4 last night.

I was in Harrogate yesterday. You need a LOT of money to live there ...

Where we live isn't regarded as desirable but houses rarely go up for sale
except after an owner's death, we've lived here for 42 years and can't see a
reason for moving..

Mary

Owain

Owain

Andy Dingley wrote:
Oh come on! Golf's hardly the worst of all those out there. No-one ever
bothered to describe cricket as "A good sit-down, spoiled" - at least
golf is a pleasant wander through a somewhat over-manicured park.

Ah, but with cricket you can read a book - and you get a good tea.

Owain

raden

In message , Owain
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:
You've just reminded me of another reason I'm glad to live in this
area. No schools for half a mile around.
No golf course either but sacrifices have to be made ...

And you're quite close to Harrogate which is about the second best
place to live in the country, according to Channel 4 last night.

Prolly from "Best and Worst Places to Live in the UK"

Which was shown on CH4 at 8 pm on Tuesday

--
geoff

Fixing Aquapanel Lee UK diy 6 May 11th 05 04:06 PM
Abrasive balls & Silky smooth seats... Jay Pique Woodworking 5 March 25th 05 07:52 PM
Fixing B&Q wall units andrewpreece UK diy 5 January 4th 05 12:39 PM
Ping Pong Table [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 24th 04 09:26 PM
Ping Pong Table [email protected] Woodworking 8 September 15th 04 09:12 PM