Mike Deblis

Default LED lighting for stair treads...

Hi,

I'm looking for suitable LED lighting to put in the stringer to light every
2 or 3 treads on the stairs in our rebuild - about 6 lights in total. The
staircase is not in yet, so I can pretty much do what I want.

Ideally, we are looking for very low level lighting that is robust
(kick/bash-with-vacuum-cleaner-proof) and which has a shallow fitting.
because there is a cupboard under the stairs, we can hide the transformer in
there. We are intending to use ZUL202 series lights elsewhere as night-time
lighting for the hall & passageways. I have thought about decking lights,
but they tend to be quite chunky and the choice is huge. The lights would
have to have round fittings probably as square ones would look odd stuck in
a stringer. They also have to be fairly small diameter so as not to weaken
the stringer (my builder says), so the ZUL series stuff is too big anyway...

So, what are people's view/experiences of this - is it a dumb idea - I think
it might look quite cool at night... what units might do the trick?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Deblis wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for suitable LED lighting to put in the stringer to light every
2 or 3 treads on the stairs in our rebuild - about 6 lights in total. The
staircase is not in yet, so I can pretty much do what I want.

Couple of sites selling LED lighting for ideas...

http://www.fancylighting.com/acatalo...Lighting1.html
http://www.thelightingcentre.co.uk/Cat.asp?LghtTyp=LED

Mike Deblis

wrote in message
oups.com...
Couple of sites selling LED lighting for ideas...

http://www.fancylighting.com/acatalo...Lighting1.html
http://www.thelightingcentre.co.uk/Cat.asp?LghtTyp=LED

I'm obviously aware that there are 100s of sites selling LED lights - a
simple Google will show that. It's the huge choice that makes it so
difficult to choose. What I'm after is peoples experiences with what
works...

Thanks

Mike

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:33:42 +0100, "Mike Deblis"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for suitable LED lighting to put in the stringer to light every
2 or 3 treads on the stairs in our rebuild - about 6 lights in total. The
staircase is not in yet, so I can pretty much do what I want.

You can get stuff called "Electroluminescent wire" in various colours
that glowws when a battery is connected.

You could mount some of this inside clear PVC tubing mounted under the
'nose' of the step with pipe clips.

B&Q used to sell EL wire kits; not sure if they still do. Many places
on the web stock it including: http://www.surelight.com/content.php

I suspect Maplin also stock it and possibly car accessory shops.

sponix

Mike Deblis

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:33:42 +0100, "Mike Deblis"
You can get stuff called "Electroluminescent wire" in various colours
that glowws when a battery is connected.

You could mount some of this inside clear PVC tubing mounted under the
'nose' of the step with pipe clips.

B&Q used to sell EL wire kits; not sure if they still do. Many places
on the web stock it including: http://www.surelight.com/content.php

I suspect Maplin also stock it and possibly car accessory shops.

I thought about EL wire - I've used it in other projects but its not
appropriate here - I want small round lights in the stringer.

I have a reel of SMD blue LEDs and a reel of white, and am thinking about
having a local fabricator make some holders, whilst I knock up a quick PCB
for these. However, this would be pricey and very time consuming, so I was
hoping to find something acceptable ready-made.

Mike

Mike Deblis

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:37:59 GMT, (s--p--o--n--i--x)
wrote:

Maplin sell 'Blue' and 'Aqua' coloured EL wire, (Stock Nos A64AL and
A63AL), just under a tenner for a 1.5 metre length. However, this
includes a voltage inverter that is needed to power the wire.

Very robust, too and can be bent to form whatever shape you wish.

The effect I'm looking for is like
http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/default.asp?pageid=199 (look at the descending
stairs). The unit that they have that does this is the LENS1
http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/default.asp?pageid=199 , but its only available
in white - I really want stainless steel or something like that. Note the
very fine angle of beam - 6 degrees - so it throws over the whole tread...

Mike

raden

In message , Mike Deblis
writes
wrote in message
roups.com...
Couple of sites selling LED lighting for ideas...

http://www.fancylighting.com/acatalo...Lighting1.html
http://www.thelightingcentre.co.uk/Cat.asp?LghtTyp=LED

I'm obviously aware that there are 100s of sites selling LED lights - a
simple Google will show that. It's the huge choice that makes it so
difficult to choose. What I'm after is peoples experiences with what
works...

Well, I find that the landing light works quite adequately, and as of
yet haven't had any accidents involving the hoover

I can see where you're coming from, but, I would take a step back and
ask myself whether it's a lot of work and expense for nothing (other
than showing it to guests)

--
geoff
Ian Stirling

Mike Deblis wrote:
[...]

Be aware that some of the cheaper end of the market LEDs will have
significant dimming over time issues.
As well as a percentage of failure.
White and blue are probably especially bad for this, red, green are
essentially a mature technology that doesn't fail.
White is worst, as the phosphor can be screwed up, but blue LEDs are not
as reliable at the cheap end of the LED market.
And replacing the lights later, or trying to find a match would be fun.

If it was me, I'd strongly consider DIY.
Drill a 6mm hole into the stringer, just above the tread, and pointing
downwards at an appropriate angle for the LED you choose.
Paint the inside of this hole black, as matt black as you can find.
Put the LED inside the hole, some 5-10mm back from the edge, and
you'll get light, with no glare, the only thing you'll see will be the
side-scatter from the matt black paint.

A 6mm routed groove all the way up the side of the stringer, some 10mm deep,
with a 6mm*6mm square section on top of it to hide the wires, is quite
adequate.
(if needed).
Having said that, I'm paranoid, and if I was doing this, I'd probably go
for the option of using 10mm holes, and connecting the LEDs in each
hole using 3.5mm mono headphone plugs.
This way you can easily change it if an LED fails, or even change colurs.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Deblis wrote:
Ideally, we are looking for very low level lighting that is robust
(kick/bash-with-vacuum-cleaner-proof) and which has a shallow fitting.
because there is a cupboard under the stairs, we can hide the
transformer in there. We are intending to use ZUL202 series lights
elsewhere as night-time lighting for the hall & passageways. I have
thought about decking lights, but they tend to be quite chunky and the
choice is huge. The lights would have to have round fittings probably
as square ones would look odd stuck in a stringer. They also have to be
fairly small diameter so as not to weaken the stringer (my builder
says), so the ZUL series stuff is too big anyway...

Ordinary bare round LEDs have a pretty tough casing. Glued in a suitable
hole they'd survive well. What colour did you want?

What covering on the stairs?

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On 05 Aug 2005 22:17:36 GMT, Ian Stirling

Drill a 6mm hole into the stringer, just above the tread,

I'd be a bit wary of drilling too many holes in a staircase as I'm not
sure how this'd weaken the structure. Drilling holes in wooden joists
is pretty well documented, staircases less so.

Having said that 10mm holes would probably be OK.

The other concern I'd have is fire. Obviously the staircase is a major
exit from the upstairs. You'd need to take precautions to ensure that
if the wiring gets shorted it doesn't cause the staircase to combust
(ie fuse it correctly and locate any transformer away from the
staircase)!

sponix
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:42:20 +0100, "Mike Deblis"
wrote:

I have a reel of SMD blue LEDs and a reel of white, and am thinking about
having a local fabricator make some holders, whilst I knock up a quick PCB
for these. However, this would be pricey and very time consuming, so I was
hoping to find something acceptable ready-made.

www.pcb-pool.com is very cost effective for PCBs

sponix
Mike Deblis

"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" wrote in message

www.pcb-pool.com is very cost effective for PCBs

I tend to use Olimex - USD 26 for a double-sided, plated through,
silk-screened & soldermasked Eurocard (10cm x 16cm). Free panelisation of
smaller cards included.

http://www.olimex.com/pcb

Mike