--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On 05 Aug 2005 22:17:36 GMT, Ian Stirling

Drill a 6mm hole into the stringer, just above the tread,

I'd be a bit wary of drilling too many holes in a staircase as I'm not
sure how this'd weaken the structure. Drilling holes in wooden joists
is pretty well documented, staircases less so.

Having said that 10mm holes would probably be OK.

The other concern I'd have is fire. Obviously the staircase is a major
exit from the upstairs. You'd need to take precautions to ensure that
if the wiring gets shorted it doesn't cause the staircase to combust
(ie fuse it correctly and locate any transformer away from the
staircase)!

sponix