Default Are glass coffee tables going out of fashion?

Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they
are now going out of fashion? I'm trying to do up my flat in a
contemporary style, but somebody told me it is better to have a solid
wood or laquered table rather than a glass one.

What do you think?

Cheers

David Lang

Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they
are now going out of fashion? I'm trying to do up my flat in a
contemporary style, but somebody told me it is better to have a solid
wood or laquered table rather than a glass one.

Walk around IKEA, Habitat and a few other 'designer' stores - you will
immediately get the idea of what's 'in' or 'out'.

Dave

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they
are now going out of fashion? I'm trying to do up my flat in a
contemporary style, but somebody told me it is better to have a solid
wood or laquered table rather than a glass one.

They seem all the rage for TV etc stands these days. So I'd guess they're
back in fashion as tables too?

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
r.p.mcmurphy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they
are now going out of fashion? I'm trying to do up my flat in a
contemporary style, but somebody told me it is better to have a solid
wood or laquered table rather than a glass one.

What do you think?

Cheers

if it has chrome legs...then its circa 1970/1980 design. its your choice if
you like it!

steve

Owain

Richard Faulkner wrote:
Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they
are now going out of fashion?

I've Just let a new flat in the centre of Manchester and was advised
that glass is all the rage. It went on the market on 16th June, and it
will be occupied from tomorrow.

There is quite a lot of glass furniture in the Argos catalogue, so I
think it appeals to a "mass market"

The advantage of glass furniture is it makes the rooms look bigger.

Don't like it myself though.

Owain

T i m

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:33:06 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 30 Jul 2005 16:08:32 -0700, wrote:

Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they
are now going out of fashion?

Pure glass (legs and all) is quite popular at the moment.

My daughters b/f's Mums house is full of glass everything .. PC units,
HiFi units, TV units and even ornaments. She says he spends most of
his spare time dusting everything. When I think of the abuse I have
given some of our stuff (standing on units etc) I'm sure I'd break
everything eventually. ;-(

To me it all looks very cold and dangerous (I know it's not etc) ...
like something out of a film .. "The Crystal Palace" or summat ;-)

It amazes me with all these TV house makeover shows .. that someone
buying a house can't see it for what it really is rather than what's
on show? The fact it has to be 'dressed up' (coffee pot on, fire
burning etc) and all signs of normal life hidden away elsewhere?

I can understand someone not wanting to do any decorating in a house
they were going to rent and to a smaller degree a house you were
buying but there's bound to be something you will change
decorationwise anyway? Would you not buy a house just because the
decoration wasn't your taste (considering how many other things make a
real difference)?

Like buying a sound car that just needs the paintwork cutting back ..
at least you can see nothing has been 'covered up' ..?

All the best ..

T i m
dennis@home

"T i m" wrote in message

Not easily .. but if I gave her the chance she'd engrave it like she
has with all our (petrol station) tumblers ;-)

Throw them away now (most petrol station tumblers used to be toughened
glass, I've not had one for a decade+.).
Engraving toughend glass can cause them to shatter with no warning.
Sand blasting/chemical etching is about as far as you can go with toughend
glass.

Richard Faulkner

In message , T i m
writes
It amazes me with all these TV house makeover shows .. that someone
buying a house can't see it for what it really is rather than what's on
show? The fact it has to be 'dressed up' (coffee pot on, fire burning
etc) and all signs of normal life hidden away elsewhere?

The fact is - it works! (Not necessarily the coffee and the fire, but
overall presentation). I could never understand it, but had to accept is
as part of human nature.

Having said that - new builders decorate and furnish their houses to
sell them. Retailers have impressive stores and displays, and get higher
prices for their goods than the shabby local shop selling the same
stuff.

I can understand someone not wanting to do any decorating in a house
they were going to rent and to a smaller degree a house you were buying
but there's bound to be something you will change decorationwise anyway?

Would you not buy a house just because the decoration wasn't your
taste (considering how many other things make a real difference)?

Many people do.

--
Richard Faulkner
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
My daughters b/f's Mums house is full of glass everything .. PC units,
HiFi units, TV units and even ornaments. She says he spends most of
his spare time dusting everything. When I think of the abuse I have
given some of our stuff (standing on units etc) I'm sure I'd break
everything eventually. ;-(

The beauty of glass is that you can use a damp cloth to remove dust etc
without chance of damage, and that it doesn't need polishing.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
T i m wrote:
My daughters b/f's Mums house is full of glass everything .. PC units,
HiFi units, TV units and even ornaments. She says he spends most of
his spare time dusting everything. When I think of the abuse I have
given some of our stuff (standing on units etc) I'm sure I'd break
everything eventually. ;-(

The beauty of glass is that you can use a damp cloth to remove dust etc
without chance of damage, and that it doesn't need polishing.

But ...

it shows every mark and requires cleaning more often (well mine does,
especially when the beer overflows)
--
geoff

Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Slightly OT - Strength of glass coffee table Lee UK diy 5 February 25th 05 10:04 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM