Lee

Default Slightly OT - Strength of glass coffee table

We have one of those coffee tables which is basically a piece of glass
sitting on a steel frame, and I'd like to get an idea of the maximum
weight it can safely support - but I don't know how to work it out.
The glass is only point supported in 4 places, where it sits on 30mm
diameter metal pads which are epoxied to the glass and sit on the frame
(they have a peg which locates them).
The glass is 1200*660*12mm and the supports are at the edge of the
longest sides, 220mm in from the ends.

Any ideas how to work it out, or a reasonable guess as the maximum
weight would be helpful - I might want to put a TV on it...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Mike

"Lee" wrote in message
We have one of those coffee tables which is basically a piece of glass
sitting on a steel frame, and I'd like to get an idea of the maximum
weight it can safely support - but I don't know how to work it out.
The glass is only point supported in 4 places, where it sits on 30mm
diameter metal pads which are epoxied to the glass and sit on the frame
(they have a peg which locates them).
The glass is 1200*660*12mm and the supports are at the edge of the
longest sides, 220mm in from the ends.

Any ideas how to work it out, or a reasonable guess as the maximum
weight would be helpful - I might want to put a TV on it...

It may take a full grown adult. Obviously you don't watch that sort of
films so you can't compare if it's the same or not :-)

Lurch

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:22:10 GMT, Lee
strung together this:

Any ideas how to work it out, or a reasonable guess as the maximum
weight would be helpful - I might want to put a TV on it...

Weigh the TV, then gently lower it onto the table. If the top shatters
into millions of bits then you need to find something lighter than the
TV. ;-)
--

SJW
Lee

Lurch wrote:
Weigh the TV, then gently lower it onto the table. If the top shatters
into millions of bits then you need to find something lighter than the
TV. ;-)

I'll take that as a no then? VBG

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
raden

In message , Lee
writes
Lurch wrote:
Weigh the TV, then gently lower it onto the table. If the top shatters
into millions of bits then you need to find something lighter than the
TV. ;-)

I'll take that as a no then? VBG

Rather a "suck it and see", but be careful of the sharp bits

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher

raden wrote:

In message , Lee
writes

Lurch wrote:

Weigh the TV, then gently lower it onto the table. If the top shatters
into millions of bits then you need to find something lighter than the
TV. ;-)

I'll take that as a no then? VBG

Rather a "suck it and see", but be careful of the sharp bits

toughend glass is very strong. it will work.