John Moorhead

Default Strength and proportions for mission table...

Hello all...

I've been out for a bit, a flood o' bon-bons been going on here of late....
Hurt my back, got sick, renters trashed a unit.... mrrrph.... But, the good
news, back is better, and while I'm not yet back in the shop, someone wants
a mission coffee table...

She wants a table ~48" long 24" deep and 18" high with a pair of drawers
beneath the top and a lower shelf, facing the couch... I have some design
and proportion questions as I mull this project over:

Following the golden ratio and a 48" length, the table would be about 30"
deep (48*.618) and 18+" tall... This seems a bit large for a coffee table.

If I use the depth of the table as my factor, then the table would be about
40 long and 15 tall. This seems more manageable.

If I have an apron on the front that includes a pair of drawers, will the
top be strong enough to keep from sagging or screwing up the alignment of
the drawers and drawer faces? The drawers are going to be ~12 wide and the
width of the apron (4 or 5 inches)

I am considering using 6/4 instead of 4/4 material for the top. If I used
the thicker material, I would cut a wide bevel/chamfer on the underside of
the edges to lighten the look of the top. I was also thinking about putting
a small mutin (if that's the right word) in-between the drawers extending to
the lower shelf to provide center support for the top.

I've been fooling around with the golden ratio and its' applications...
using it to define the size and placement of the stiles in the table ends...
measuring things around the house with a yardstick and going "Aha!" The
wife says I'm going to be really annoying when I'm an old man... I figure I
can start anytime....

I'd appreciate any constructive remarks about design and the like. I also
am going to build a pair of side tables to match...

Thanks!

John Moorhead

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

If I use the depth of the table as my factor, then the table would be

about
40 long and 15 tall. This seems more manageable.

15" seems a bit short, especially for one with drawers, but I would sit at
the couch it's going to go in front of and deduct a pleasing/comfortable
height from that.

17" seems to be close to the right height for most coffee tables.

If I have an apron on the front that includes a pair of drawers, will the
top be strong enough to keep from sagging or screwing up the alignment of
the drawers and drawer faces? The drawers are going to be ~12 wide and

the
width of the apron (4 or 5 inches)

Not seeing your design it is hard to tell, but most Mission style coffee
table construction will have aprons all around.

For a 40" table top, considering you will probably have +/- 6" of total
overhang and the width of the legs to deduct from the span, you should not
have any problems with sagging on a 3/4" or greater thickness top.

I am considering using 6/4 instead of 4/4 material for the top. If I used
the thicker material, I would cut a wide bevel/chamfer on the underside of
the edges to lighten the look of the top. I was also thinking about

putting
a small mutin (if that's the right word) in-between the drawers extending

the lower shelf to provide center support for the top.

You generally want unobstructed use and access to the lower shelf of a
coffee table.

Lastly, I would caution not to be a slave to the "golden rectangle" ...
pleasing proportions are important, but furniture that is used daily
benefits more from form following function and fitting the space in which it
is to be placed ... and that generally insures pleasing proportions, IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/17/04

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 05:13:43 GMT, "John Moorhead"
brought forth from the murky
depths:

Hello all...

I've been out for a bit, a flood o' bon-bons been going on here of late....
Hurt my back, got sick, renters trashed a unit.... mrrrph.... But, the good
news, back is better, and while I'm not yet back in the shop, someone wants
a mission coffee table...

She wants a table ~48" long 24" deep and 18" high with a pair of drawers
beneath the top and a lower shelf, facing the couch... I have some design
and proportion questions as I mull this project over:

Following the golden ratio and a 48" length, the table would be about 30"
deep (48*.618) and 18+" tall... This seems a bit large for a coffee table.

If I use the depth of the table as my factor, then the table would be about
40 long and 15 tall. This seems more manageable.

Mock up the two sizes in cardboard and ask her which she prefers.
Get free cardboard from any local appliance or mattress dealer.
Cut the top to size, then make L shaped supports for the height.
Set them in front of her couch so she can get a feel for it. And
charge an extra hour for customizing it to her tastes.

If I have an apron on the front that includes a pair of drawers, will the
top be strong enough to keep from sagging or screwing up the alignment of
the drawers and drawer faces? The drawers are going to be ~12 wide and the
width of the apron (4 or 5 inches)

You'll set the drawers at least 1.5" from the top of the apron,
so even 4/4 shouldn't sag.

I am considering using 6/4 instead of 4/4 material for the top. If I used
the thicker material, I would cut a wide bevel/chamfer on the underside of
the edges to lighten the look of the top. I was also thinking about putting
a small mutin (if that's the right word) in-between the drawers extending to
the lower shelf to provide center support for the top.

I think I may prefer both for esthetic reasons, but she's the
customer. Again, folding the cardboard on the mockup down 1 or
1-1/2" in front would let you know which you prefer. Tape it
at the angle you'd bevel so you get a clear visual concept.

I've been fooling around with the golden ratio and its' applications...
using it to define the size and placement of the stiles in the table ends...
measuring things around the house with a yardstick and going "Aha!" The
wife says I'm going to be really annoying when I'm an old man... I figure I
can start anytime....

You already have. Welcome to the club.

I'd appreciate any constructive remarks about design and the like. I also
am going to build a pair of side tables to match...

BTW, if "she" is also your wife, definitely do it her way.
You'll never hear the end of it otherwise.

---
Is it time for your medication or mine?
http://diversify.com Custom Website Applications