Richard Faulkner

In message , T i m
writes
It amazes me with all these TV house makeover shows .. that someone
buying a house can't see it for what it really is rather than what's on
show? The fact it has to be 'dressed up' (coffee pot on, fire burning
etc) and all signs of normal life hidden away elsewhere?

The fact is - it works! (Not necessarily the coffee and the fire, but
overall presentation). I could never understand it, but had to accept is
as part of human nature.

Having said that - new builders decorate and furnish their houses to
sell them. Retailers have impressive stores and displays, and get higher
prices for their goods than the shabby local shop selling the same
stuff.

I can understand someone not wanting to do any decorating in a house
they were going to rent and to a smaller degree a house you were buying
but there's bound to be something you will change decorationwise anyway?

Would you not buy a house just because the decoration wasn't your
taste (considering how many other things make a real difference)?

Many people do.

--
Richard Faulkner