Simon

Default Height of Garden Fence

Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

John Anderton

On 25 May 2005 12:56:27 -0700, "Simon" wrote:

Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work?

It depends who owns the fence. If it's theirs then yes, if it's yours
then no (although a friendly chat to let them know what you're going
to do may still be a good idea :-) ).

However another point is that planning permission is required for any
fence or "means of enclosure" higher than two metres so if you attach
the brushwood so that the bottom is off the ground the planning
department of your local council may need to give permission as well.
(I assume that this is what you were planning ? Or are you neighbours
under 5' tall ?)

Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Depends how expensive the brushwood screening is (I've no idea). There
are all sorts of hedging plants you could use (blackthorn is fairly
cheap) which, in time, would form a nice screen (although if you use
leylandii, for goodness sake keep it well trimmed)

One, more expensive but sneaky, solution is to build a long narrow
shed just inside the boundary. This can be up to 4 metres high (with a
pitched roof) without needing planning permission (although there are
other restrictions on size, proportion of garden taken up, proximity
to the house etc.)

Cheers,

John

Rick

On 25 May 2005 12:56:27 -0700, "Simon" wrote:

Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

Llandi ? I think there is now some law about these, it may be part of
the ASBO stuff.

Rick

Jeff

"Simon" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

try here

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6

Regards Jeff

abi

John Anderton wrote:

However another point is that planning permission is required for any
fence or "means of enclosure" higher than two metres

Yet ignorant ****ers can grow their sodding leylandii as high as they
want while tony and his band of tosspots do **** all about it

T W O F U C K I N G M E T R E S A N D N O T
A C E N T I M E T R E M O R E T O N Y

W E A R E S T I L L F U C K I N G W A I T I N G
F O R Y O U T O S O R T I T Y O U W A N K E R

DEATH TO ALL LEYLANDII NOW

THE HIGH HEDGES REGULATIONS 2005 ARE A TOTAL JOKE

andrewpreece

"Simon" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

If there is a problem with the screening grow something evergreen against
the fence that'll get to the required height in a reasonable time. What you
actually might grow depends on climate/soil/aspect etc, but as a for
instance
I have grown a wall-trained evergreen Ceanothus to 7 feet high in two years
from a nursery plant, to give me extra screening along a 4-5 foot high wall.
Other options are plentiful, though I wouldn't bother with Leylandii: they
look
OK I suppose, but need trimming twice a year, topping once a year (ish) and
worst of all, if you trim them too closely they go brown at that point and
you
can never get that bit to grow back.

Andy.

raden

In message , abi
writes
John Anderton wrote:

However another point is that planning permission is required for any
fence or "means of enclosure" higher than two metres

Yet ignorant ****ers can grow their sodding leylandii as high as they
want while tony and his band of tosspots do **** all about it

T W O F U C K I N G M E T R E S A N D N O T
A C E N T I M E T R E M O R E T O N Y

W E A R E S T I L L F U C K I N G W A I T I N G
F O R Y O U T O S O R T I T Y O U W A N K E R

DEATH TO ALL LEYLANDII NOW

THE HIGH HEDGES REGULATIONS 2005 ARE A TOTAL JOKE

Would I be right in thinking that you're not the worlds no. 1 fan of
fast growing fir trees ?

--
geoff
Ian White

andrewpreece wrote:
Leylandii: they look OK I suppose, but need trimming twice a year,
topping once a year (ish) and worst of all, if you trim them too
closely

.... or if you let them grow too far, and then have to cut them back too
hard...

they go brown at that point and
you
can never get that bit to grow back.

The top of a Leylandii hedge eventually will fill in, but only after 3-4
years of bonsai training and "combing-over".

Ours was here when we came, and overall I suppose it's been better than
not having it - but if starting again, I'd *never* plant Leylandii.

--
Ian White
John Anderton

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:48:41 +0100, abi
wrote:

John Anderton wrote:

However another point is that planning permission is required for any
fence or "means of enclosure" higher than two metres

Yet ignorant ****ers can grow their sodding leylandii as high as they
want while tony and his band of tosspots do **** all about it

T W O F U C K I N G M E T R E S A N D N O T
A C E N T I M E T R E M O R E T O N Y

I'd hope we don't get knee jerk legislation which proposes anything
this silly. I'd like to see something along the lines of "maximum
height 2 metres plus the distance from the boundary, enforced only if
the relevant neighbour objects" otherwise we're going to have a
frankly ludicrous situation where I won't be able to keep my leylandii
hedges as a wind break/sight screen despite the fact that
a) The wind break hedge is a hundred feet from anyone else's land(and
the nearest neighbour's land is a farmer's field)
and
b) My other neighbour likes the privacy my four metre high hedge gives
him from being overlooked from my upstairs windows.

I hope, for once, the government gives careful consideration to any
legislation and realises that some people with leylandii don't have
diddy suburban gardens so a ten metre high hedge is not a problem for
their neighbours and often a hedge over two metres tall is not a
problem for said neighbour even in darkest suburbia anyway.

Cheers,

John

Cicero

"Simon" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

===================
You could add a small trellis to the top of the existing fence and then
plant a few quick-growing climbers. I made strong trellis from roofing
battens (19mm x 32mm) and planted Honeysuckle and Russian vine at intervals.
The trellis will soon be covered by the climbers without being too
over-powering for you or your neighbours. Be careful with the Russian vine -
its common name is 'mile-a-minute' and it can grow very quickly!

Cic.

OldBill

Simon wrote:
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

First of all you don't say if its their fence or yours.
You can attach what you like to your fence.
AFAIK if you want to make it more than 2m there could be a problem.
Also I've seen a couple of case where that brushwood stuff has been used
to try to extend a fence height by a couple of foot. It looked messy
because unless its supported by a frame it droops. Bamboo is better.
Maybe a case for the dreaded confier hedge?
PeteZahut

"Simon" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

When the neighbours are in bed tonight, go and superglue their locks so they
cant get out.
Problem solved

Simon

Thanks for the advice... apparently all boundaries are shared.... what
impact does that have on what I'm planning?

Wooden garden fence [email protected] Woodworking 7 March 28th 05 07:58 PM
Excalibur sliding table help needed max Woodworking 8 February 3rd 05 04:09 PM
Ping - Leon (Trials and Tribulations of Finding an Accurate Fence) Bob Woodworking 2 June 28th 04 09:52 PM
Garden fence Terry D UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 11:15 AM
Jet TS fence query john moorhead Woodworking 8 November 15th 03 03:49 PM