Cicero

"Simon" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
Bit of advice please!

My neighbours garden runs along the rear of mine, and when they are out
there they can look stright into our house.

This rear fence is approx 5 ft high - part of their garden is about a
foot higher than mine, so effectivly at that part of the garden, the
fence is only worth four foot!

I was thinking of purchasing some of the brushwood screening 2 metres
high and attaching this to the existing fence - thus increasing the
barries between us.

Do I need to get their consent before doing this work? Does anyone know
of a cheaper method of increasing the privacy (short of not going out
into the garden :-))

Thanks!

You could add a small trellis to the top of the existing fence and then
plant a few quick-growing climbers. I made strong trellis from roofing
battens (19mm x 32mm) and planted Honeysuckle and Russian vine at intervals.
The trellis will soon be covered by the climbers without being too
over-powering for you or your neighbours. Be careful with the Russian vine -
its common name is 'mile-a-minute' and it can grow very quickly!

Cic.